Hi, to keep things short:
Little Brother wants New Guitar.
Dad says he must practice 1 hour for 100 days.
Also, must be able to play at least 5 different songs.
( in addition to scales etc.)

Suggestions for songs, please.

Genres: Blues, Blues-Rock, Rock Country.
Interprets that were suggested to me by my dad:
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits
Bo Diddley.

Brother is only a beginner.
Clapton would be a nice idea, I'm sure he'd be fine learning a few of his numbers!
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
I think it's more relevant to ask your brother for examples of things that excite him, and let him choose the songs.

That will keep him more motivated.
Quote by HotspurJr
I think it's more relevant to ask your brother for examples of things that excite him, and let him choose the songs.

That will keep him more motivated.

Agree with this 100%.
Let your brother learn the songs HE wants, not the songs your dad or you want. It will keep your bro motivated and will keep his interest in playing guitar.

Your Dad is a champ, awesome idea!

One to scribble down to use on my kids (being a total gear ***** means my kids will never have to ask for new gear though, they'll have it before they know it....lol).
Hi guys,
first of all, thanks for the answers,
second: There is only one tiny problem with letting my brother play what he wants:
Of course it would be better to have him play songs he knows / likes BUT I seriously doubt that he will be able to play Speed Metal anytime soon.
+ Part of the deal was that he must be able to play something on christmas eve.
Doesn't have to be a christmas song, but metal would not be too appropriate.

So far I made a list of songs which I deem acceptable and / or possible.

Eric Clapton - Layla
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Ac / DC You shook me all night long
Ac / Dc Hells Bells

any thoughts?
Great idea! That said, I'd not recommend Dire Straights/ Sultans. While the rhythm passages are reasonably easy, mating the odd, syncopated vocals is really a PITA . Then there's the issue of a novice trying with all his might to emulate Knopfler's exquisite technique!

If he can master; or even get close to a recognizable rendition of that one, he's a lot better than most!

Otherwise...press on
Quote by IbanEZP
Hi guys,
first of all, thanks for the answers,
second: There is only one tiny problem with letting my brother play what he wants:
Of course it would be better to have him play songs he knows / likes BUT I seriously doubt that he will be able to play Speed Metal anytime soon.
+ Part of the deal was that he must be able to play something on christmas eve.
Doesn't have to be a christmas song, but metal would not be too appropriate.

So far I made a list of songs which I deem acceptable and / or possible.

Eric Clapton - Layla
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Ac / DC You shook me all night long
Ac / Dc Hells Bells

any thoughts?

Santa's Pissed - Motionless in White. That would raise some eyebrows JK,
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Can i just ask since when was 1 hour a day a challenge?
Although its a good idea in theory, i dont think your brother should choose the songs.
Maybe let him choose 1, but my dad did something similar when i was younger and challenged me to learn some steely dan, bob marley, guns n roses, The Eagles, Led Zep and 1 of my own - so i chose a beatles track. If i had my way, i'd only know one or two styles of music - but i was introduced and found that i very much liked a lot of genres of music that i wouldnt have tapped into.

Make it a 200 hour challenge and you'll see some real progress. And dont let him get away with sloppy mistakes, I'd also advise someone helps him through the challenge sort of like a mentor.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Can i just ask since when was 1 hour a day a challenge?
Although its a good idea in theory, i dont think your brother should choose the songs.
Maybe let him choose 1, but my dad did something similar when i was younger and challenged me to learn some steely dan, bob marley, guns n roses, The Eagles, Led Zep and 1 of my own - so i chose a beatles track. If i had my way, i'd only know one or two styles of music - but i was introduced and found that i very much liked a lot of genres of music that i wouldnt have tapped into.

Make it a 200 hour challenge and you'll see some real progress. And dont let him get away with sloppy mistakes, I'd also advise someone helps him through the challenge sort of like a mentor.

I think the challenge is more about consistantly practicing for one hour every day for 100 days. Harder than you'd think.

What happens if he fails.

Edit: re-read the first post. So he's already got a guitar and can already play? Does he practice consistantly already?
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Sep 14, 2011,
What guitar does your lil bro have at the moment?
I had a squire showmaster for 5 years :P Just sayin.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Blackbird - The beatles
Buck Rogers - Feeder
Supermassive black hole - Muse
Obligatory Somoke on the water and enter sandman
Maybe some tv themes like pokemon because they're fun and he'll know them
Some obligatory enter sandman?
**** that noise, I also think this is a great idea and am going to be doing something similar with my 12 year old cousin. I think some of the songs that have been stated are considerably too hard. Start easy, I liked the Sabbath idea - Sweet Leaf would be an easy to execute classic riff.One of the first songs I learned was House of the Rising Sun (animals) it is amazing for learning basic chord shapes and how to arpeggiate them, as well as basic pick control.
YOUR DAD IS ****ING AWESOME!!!!!!!! have him learn the minor pentatonic scale as a first scale.....always the easiest.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Once again, thanks for the suggestions, they have been appreciated and especially CCR, since I had not thought of that.
Yes, my brother DOES have a guitar, an ESP LTD EX-260 which is pretty beat-up and in overall bad shape.
He can play a little but after two years of taking guitar lessons, his skill-level is unsatisfactory.
He knows no scales despite the fact that his teacher gave him the material and showed him how to play them.
He is barely able to play the songs he has learned until now.
( Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Iron Man, Heaven And Hell)
He does NOT practice on a regular basis BUT he wants a new guitar, preferably something pointy with emgs and a floyd rose.
He has the money but since my father does NOT like the idea of him spending the money on sth. he wouldn't use, he has to show some commitment.
Oh and one more:
He was allowed to choose what to play but he can't play even one song decently.
So now WE ( the family) get to choose.
And his lack of skill is not due to a lack of talent but rather nothing but a lack of practice.