Hey,
So I have been trying to get slashes sound and I have the clean tone but the lead sustain is tricky. The guitar has his seymour d's in it and sounds great but the tone is still off. My amp is a MODIFIED fender Deville with a gain circuit more reminiscent of an old marshall than a fender sound and its great for blues and all but not for the slash sound. So far I have heard people say that the Radial Tonebone Hot British or the Seymour Duncan Twin tube blue is the way to go along with a tube compressor or convert the reverb circuit on my amp to a marshall 59t drive circuit which will be crazy expensive so I wanted to get some feedback from others out there.
Thanks
weehbo jcmdrive
catalinbread dls
dirty bomb
lovepedal superlead
wampler plextortion

can try into power amp in, turn pedal volume off first
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Wampler Plextortion
Lovepedal Superlead
MI Audio Crunch Box
A DS-1 would get the Nirvana sound, but not Slash...
Ds1 is not a good idea sorry bro. But the wah is good and I like the jcmdrive but I prefer something tube which is why I mentioned those. Superlead gets a good acdc tone but I couldnt get what I wanted out of one. Dirty bomb is too thick for the AFD tone and the plexitortion is good but sounds kinda digitlly if you know what I mean. It doesnt have that aggressive tube tone. I like the two I mentioned but am open to others but I really want a tube pedal the tone usually just cannot be matched by an analog or digital pedal. Thanks
^ If you already have a tube amp, having tubes in the pedal really doesn't make much difference. Not in my experience. I prefer Analog, just because that one 12ax7 they toss in there doesn't really make much difference and it's grounds for the manufacturer to slap an extra $50 on it.

Why are you trying so hard to perfectly copy Slash? That's impossible. To sound like AFD you will have to have the same guitar, same amp, same recording studio, recording process, and exact same technique, which you'll never have.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Never heard anything bad about a Tonebone or a Twin Tube for medium gain, but I do not know too much about them either.
Anyways, it was good feedback on the pedals.
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
I can try to get that tone still. Whose to say I cant if Im happy with the sound and want to try to get it. Its a challenge I understand but personally I believe I can get very close without going out and finding SIR Stock#39 Marshall model 1959t modified by Tim Caswell in california which is what slash rented for the AFD sessions. And I like tubes because they have more power behind them and sound better at high volumes. Its just a personal preference I have. Ive gone through alot of compressors and finally settled on a EHX classics black finger after previously using a trex sqeezer, both of which are tube( Ive used everything from an original dyna comp to rack compressors) and I really prefer the warmth that they provide. Im not saying analog pedals suck at all I own analog pedals. The OCD is analog and sounds amazing so Im not saying they are all bad I just have my own personal taste just like you do and I respect that. It would be boring if we all used the same gear. (no I am not a dude who justs sits in the basement playing old GnR stuff and am some slash worshiper ha)
Thanks
what kind of guitar are you using as that isn't mentioned? you have a strat listed in your profile but nothing else. your amp seems wrong for this tone to begin with. do you still have 6L6's in it? also the speakers should be celestions. if you aren't using a LP style guitar and aren't running EL-34's then it would be a tall order to get that sound with a pedal.
I have el 34s and if you notice the strat is a fender custom shop. It is a strat with the signature humbucker set, mahogany body and 4 knobs( individual tone and volume just like a les Paul ) I gnaw directly compared it to the slash signiture and sounds almost identical except mine has a little bit more sustain. I will post a picture of it later if I get time. My amp sounds very good and I love it for cleans and it's dirty blues tone. Thanks
Quote by bluesdriver
I have el 34s and if you notice the strat is a fender custom shop. It is a strat with the signature humbucker set, mahogany body and 4 knobs( individual tone and volume just like a les Paul ) I gnaw directly compared it to the slash signiture and sounds almost identical except mine has a little bit more sustain. I will post a picture of it later if I get time. My amp sounds very good and I love it for cleans and it's dirty blues tone. Thanks

your posting style is a bit odd (no offense). nowhere does it say anything about your strat so none of us would know the specs. you already said you get good cleans and a blues sound but that doesn't matter in terms of what you are trying to get. i'm a little confused as to why you didn't get a LP and a marshall to begin with if the slash tone is what you were after. not sure if the pedals with tubes approach will get you what you want. slash used an old tubescreamer along with the marshall so he didn't go that route either. if you've tried the pedal route and come up short then i kinda doubt that that will work unless you are willing to settle for kinda close. or you could just buy the new slash marshall head and be done with it.
Sorry I'm new. I meant in my profile my bad. I'll work on it. I got this amp for free and the guitar because I love the feel of fenders and the sound of les Pauls. I don't have th money to go and get a Marshall halfstack. I havnt tried the pedal route and honestly I wanna use pedals and fender gear (albeit heavily modified) to make people say wow he has that sound out of a fender and it be very different than what people expect out of a fender. Btw thanks for the help I'll try to be more clear I'm still trying to get used to it.
Im gonna go for the hot british and ill post some tone results once I can scrape the money together to get it. Thanks everybody
I watched an interview with Slash, and he said he actually uses the neck pickup a lot of the time because it gives him more of a bluesey tone. So if rolling the tone down on the bridge pickup didn't work, you could give the neck a go.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
Quote by bluesdriver
Sorry I'm new. I meant in my profile my bad. I'll work on it. I got this amp for free and the guitar because I love the feel of fenders and the sound of les Pauls. I don't have th money to go and get a Marshall halfstack. I havnt tried the pedal route and honestly I wanna use pedals and fender gear (albeit heavily modified) to make people say wow he has that sound out of a fender and it be very different than what people expect out of a fender. Btw thanks for the help I'll try to be more clear I'm still trying to get used to it.

umm.... ok it seems like you are going out of your way to be different but are kinda shooting yourself in the foot to do it. anyways try out a few overdrives as that would seem like a better solution to me. slash's tone si very amp driven so trying to get ti out of pedals probably won't work very well. i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive myself and that has done a good job for me.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by Ghold125
^What's the red pedal at the top?

MXR Tremolo, is the only red one other than that wah.
Where's Waldo?
Your "Slash Sound" is really just a Les Paul into a Marshall, his rig isn't that complex. There are many Marshall -esque pedals out there. A Tonebone Like someone said above, an MI Audio Crunch Box, a Tube Screamer, ect.
Gibson Les Paul [498T + 490R]
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
Handmade ToneBender mkII clone.
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
I almos always stick with the neck pickup anyway but I have tried quite a few ods. Thanks for the picture it helps