Ok, so lately my amp (peavey 6534+) has been pretty meh. Mostly because of the speaker cabinet and prolly partially because of the stock tubes. So i think im gonna try out.

Im prolly not gonna be into buyung random NOS tubes off ebay but anything else i think ill be ok with. I need 4 EL34s, and 6 12ax7s i believe. Current power tubes are ruby tubes. Dont know about the preamp tubes.

Something thatd be nice to have :

A bit more gain maybe?
Some more clarity would also be nice
And more bass response if possible.

So which tubes shoul i look into?

From what ive heard, JJs for the preamp seems popular, and winged Cs for the power section also seem popular. Am i missong anything?

Also, as for cabs if you guys are curious, itll either be a bogner OS 212 or an orange 212
Standard answer: SED =C= EL34's if you can afford them, JJ if you can't.

For the bulk of the preamp use JJ ECC83S. Get a NOS JAN Phillips 12AX7 for V1, you can usually get those for a decent price and they rock. Probably a JAN Phillips 5751 for the phase inverter or a JJ ECC803.

I'll let somebody else deal with the speaker issue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, so a matched quad will be 160, guess im looking at 250$ total for power amd pre amp tubes
But JJ EL34's are only $15 each and they are quite good. Up to you but I find it hard to justify the extra cost when JJ are so good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well im not sure right now, as much as i can love my peavey, i dislike the lack of features (compared to mesa) and always liked that recto sound. If i got out a try a few cabs and nothing blows me away, im thinking i might just sell my entire setup to buy a mesa roadster 212 combo with an extension cab for shows for added projection.

Really torn roght now which sucks :/
Cath pretty much nailed what I was going to say.

I got some =C= for my amp recently and they are great. I also have a 5751 that I think is in the PI right now. JJs for the rest of the preamp.

Honestly though, if you are having these thoughts I'd maybe move onto a different amp.

That said, I'd ask a few things first.

What preamp tubes does it have exactly. There is a good chance they are already JJs.
What cab are you running right now?

Also, Ruby's are not bad. I wouldn't spend $250 + a new cab only to find out you just don't like the 6534.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2011,
Get rid of the Peavey cab, it will do wonders for your sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok its not a peavey cab, its a mesa with blackshadows, im like 80% sure thats the problem right now. But while im at it i might as well change the tubes i think. When i first got the amp like 2 or 3 tubes blew within the forst like 2 weeks of me getting it, so they replaced the blow tubes (it was mostly preamp tubes anyways i think) since then i knew the brand was dofferent because the amp did feel dofferent and not as great as efore.

Id tell you guys what kind of preamp tubes there are but theyre wayy in the back and i can hardly see them without opening up the amp which i deff dont wanna do.

Anyways, ive done sone reading an apparently KT77s are interchangeable for EL34s and from what ive been hearing, they sound exactly like what i want. Still gonna change the cab but this is pretty awesome news for me.

EDiT: so heres what im thinking for the tubes:

A matched quad of JJ kt77s
Tungsol 12ax7 for V1
And 5 other 12ax7s for all the other slots (prolly jj though)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Sep 12, 2011,
blowing tubes early like that scares me

there is a panel that gives you access to all the preamp tubes no?

tung sol for V1? ....ish

preamp tubes can stay with you if you buy new ones and move to a different amp (so not a loss in the long run)

can you take the amp somewhere and play it on a bunch of cabs?

have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqBaHac4zto

Ippon posted this tonight. something he found. (disregard how crappy the splawn cab sounds - but I'd take a splawn cab over a bogner OS cab)

Edit: KT77s might be cool
Not that keen on TungSols. One in V1 can sound ok when it's followed by JJ's but otherwise I find them to be a bit tinny. V1 is where you should be putting your best valve. I'd hunt down a nice NOS tube. I have picked up any number of Mullards, RCA, Phillips and Amperex for $20 on Ebay. Amperex are a bit hard to get for that price but I have managed to score a couple for $20.
I'd get somebody to check the bias on your output tubes if they are blowing that easily. Not sure if the 6534 has an adjustable bias but even if it doesn't you should check it, something could be faulty. If you put KT77's in there definitely check the bias.
Preamp tubes are rarely out of spec bias-wise but it would be worth checking anyway. Try your old preamp tubes in it again and see if they work. At the moment you are in the dark about what blew - do some simple diagnostics by swapping tubes around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Something thatd be nice to have :

A bit more gain maybe?
Some more clarity would also be nice
And more bass response if possible.

Not to troll, but 6505+?... I'm serious, cause like when I think of solving that issue with el34's my mind goes to 6l6's..
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Well some of the pins in the tube sockets were bent which caused them to blow supposedly. If i were to get new power tube, kt77s or not od deff have the amp boased so that i know its good. And i got the amp back in february, had its prpblems early march, nothinf wrong since then

And if i dont go with a NOS preamp tube, JJs straitght through the preamp would be my best bet?

As for cabs, theres 2 stores relatively near me where i can try mesa and bogner cabs at and marshall and orange cabs at the other. Besides that, i dont really have that many options for trying cabs, and im not taking a shot in the dark with the new cab

But about the video, watched most of it, and suprisingly the 6505 cab was pne of my favpurites. And i loved my 6534 when i playef it through that cab in the shop..... It may be worth looking over again. Even if the speakers arent that great.....
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Sep 12, 2011,
Quickquickquick! I need to know, itthe amp is unplugged from the power source, is it safe for me to pull the preamp tubes?
Yes. Make sure they aren't too hot. Use a rag if it is.

I'd use JJ throughout. Some people find all JJ to be a bit dark which is why you stick something else in V1. Personally I think JJ ECC83S everywhere sounds great.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 12, 2011,
Ok so v1-v4 were all JJs, the last 2 are EHX.

Im gonna move one of the ehxs up to v1 and try that out
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
blowing tubes early like that scares me

there is a panel that gives you access to all the preamp tubes no?

tung sol for V1? ....ish

preamp tubes can stay with you if you buy new ones and move to a different amp (so not a loss in the long run)

can you take the amp somewhere and play it on a bunch of cabs?

have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqBaHac4zto

Ippon posted this tonight. something he found. (disregard how crappy the splawn cab sounds - but I'd take a splawn cab over a bogner OS cab)

Edit: KT77s might be cool

I liked the Krank, the Mesa, the Marshall, the Orange and the Soldano. Splawn's sounded horrible for my taste...
^ agreed. It sounded stiff. My only thought was that it had not been played much and the speakers are not broken in. Go listen to some other Splawn cab clips to hear what I'm talking about. Also, try to make a point regarding the TS's thread or it comes across as threadjacking

Quote by Seanthesheep
Ok so v1-v4 were all JJs, the last 2 are EHX.

Im gonna move one of the ehxs up to v1 and try that out

I was not a fan of the EHX preamp tubes. They are pure ish to me. Good idea swapping one to V1. 5751 in the PI or V1 would be a good investment. Otherwise JJs should be fine. Where are you buying your tubes from again?
Well right now i hve 4JJs to work with. Tried the ehx in v1, kinda sterile to my ears, i like jj in v1, ehx in v2 and v3 and then the last 3 to be jjs, but on thursday ill probably go out and see if i can buy 2 JJs, because thats probably how the amp came stock.

Oh btw, someoe wanna help me identify sone speakers?
They look to have small magnets in the back compared to black shadows, are 50w and 8ohm and say mesa/boogie vintage black shadow type VS-12 and do not say celestion international like my blackshadow MC-90s.
not surprised the EHX sounded thin. i just despise those tubes.

peavey puts whatever tubes in their amps so don't think for a minute that they will put all JJs in. they use EHX a lot.

can't really answer your speaker question - I'm sure they are Celestions but I guess there is a chance that they are not.

PS: don't all speakers have magnets?

oh yeah, give Doug a call at Doug's tubes. good guy and he'll shoot you strait. he is the one that turned me onto the 5751 and Penta Labs 9th Gen 12AX7s

www.dougstubes.com
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
... oh yeah, give Doug a call at Doug's tubes. good guy and he'll shoot you strait. he is the one that turned me onto the 5751 and Penta Labs 9th Gen 12AX7s

www.dougstubes.com
Just so you know, I've been pimping these Shuguangs ... yes, those are re-branded Chinese preamp tubes which sound awesome in high gain amps.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah - nothing wrong with Shuguangs in my book.
Yep, I wanted inexpensive preamps for back-up and when I started playing around with NOS and inexpensive stuff, I was surprised how they sounded better than the more expensive brands in the Uberschall Twin Jets, XTC, VH4, and TriAmp MK II, and Duotone. The SLO, Rockerverb, VH100R, Triple Rectumfrier, and cheap amps preferred the expensive ones and NOS tubes.