So I have a pretty shitty amp right now. I want to buy a halfstack or a combo for around 1000 euros. I'm looking for a flexible amp. I like post-rock cleans like explosions in the sky, or animals as leaders' clean stuff, but I need a really good distortion sound aswell.

Other bands I like are the fall of troy, chon, scale the summit, Cloudkicker, sunrise and ammunition, dance gavin dance, math rock bands, ...

btw: Why should I buy a halfstack while combos go loud enough and most places have a PA system?
hughes and kettner switchblade
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
try checking out egnaters rebel 30 or renegade. both are very good sounding and versatile amps.
Quote by ashley7000

btw: Why should I buy a halfstack while combos go loud enough and most places have a PA system?

Image. A 4x12 is horrible to move (try putting one in a car on your own every week. It'll ruin your car, the cab covering, your stairs and your back!), it doesn't sound much better, costs more........
I have a Peavey Vypyr and i love it. It's like a line 6 spider, but not a complete piece of shit. It does everything i need it to. It has great cleans, and even better dirty tones. It gets insanely loud (i have the 75w model) and doesn't break up and get all muddy. It's also got a ton of effects, which will save you from buying large quantities of pedals if you really want to mold your tone. It's also got a a USB out for recording, and it works surprisingly well. Another cool thing is that you can choose from a bunch of different amp models (6505 included) and get the amp will model that specific amps sound. And the 75W Vypyr only costs $300 (i think that's 211.8 Euros if the exchange rate i found is correct) which is a LOT cheaper than what you're looking to spend, so you could buy a decent halfstack and a Vypyr 120 tube head which would work great.
Get an Egnater Rebel, Tweaker or Renegade. they are all great and very versatile. funkymonk has already said this though. Vox are also quite good, check the AC30C2, but its a combo amp. i think that the egnaters are aswell. combos are better for the money anyway. lighter, similarly good tone, also loud and is easy to move around cause its smaller.
I'm not that into amp modeling. I like simple amps. So combos are actually a better choice for me? I'd like to buy something that I can use for a really really long time. I'm hoping for a lot of gigs.
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I have a Peavey Vypyr and i love it. It's like a line 6 spider, but not a complete piece of shit. It does everything i need it to. It has great cleans, and even better dirty tones. It gets insanely loud (i have the 75w model) and doesn't break up and get all muddy. It's also got a ton of effects, which will save you from buying large quantities of pedals if you really want to mold your tone. It's also got a a USB out for recording, and it works surprisingly well. Another cool thing is that you can choose from a bunch of different amp models (6505 included) and get the amp will model that specific amps sound. And the 75W Vypyr only costs $300 (i think that's 211.8 Euros if the exchange rate i found is correct) which is a LOT cheaper than what you're looking to spend, so you could buy a decent halfstack and a Vypyr 120 tube head which would work great.

if he wants a GOOD tone then the Vypyr is def not the way to go, its a decent amp for the price but with his budget he could get something of much higher quality and still have some left for a good multi-effects unit with more effects than the vypyr and better tone like the Zoom G3. you were right about two things though: it is WAY better than the spyder and its great for the price. modeling just wont work well built into a tube anyway so the vypyr 120 head is the wrong direction.
Quote by ashley7000
I'm not that into amp modeling. I like simple amps. So combos are actually a better choice for me? I'd like to buy something that I can use for a really really long time. I'm hoping for a lot of gigs.

go for a high wattage combo (30/40 watts) and then if you need it louder then the vox amps have external speaker outputs and the egnaters probably do aswell plus the egnaters have a usb output for recording. i have the vox AC15 and i love it and the next amp i want is the Egnater Rebel or Marshall JMC800
ENGL Screamer or Powerball II, perhaps?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Dilberto
Image. A 4x12 is horrible to move (try putting one in a car on your own every week. It'll ruin your car, the cab covering, your stairs and your back!), it doesn't sound much better, costs more........

it's not about sounding "better" though. it's a different sound. some like it, some don't. so for some people it's worth the extra money and effort to transport, and image has got nothing to do with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i like the bogner alchemist.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by funky_monk94
try checking out egnaters rebel 30 or renegade. both are very good sounding and versatile amps.

+1
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by ashley7000

Combo's will be fine, stacks are neither better or worse, just different.

If you need clean cleans [ie no dirt what so ever in the cleans], you probably want upward of 50 watts.
If you don't mind a little dirt, then 30 or less watts will be fine. Of course with a pa, non of this is a problem. I'm just talking about getting over a drummer easily and clean.

Anyway, I really recommend the egnater renegade. I have one and it's great!

Quote by itamar101
go for a high wattage combo (30/40 watts) and then if you need it louder then the vox amps have external speaker outputs and the egnaters probably do aswell plus the egnaters have a usb output for recording. i have the vox AC15 and i love it and the next amp i want is the Egnater Rebel or Marshall JMC800

This is incorrect.
a) More speakers doesn't necessarily = louder.
b) egnaters don't have a usb out. They have a recording out that takes a mic cable and can be ran to a interface without the need to mic up a cab [at least the renegade does]. Although micing up the cab sounds better.
c) 30/40 watts is hardly high wattage

Also the vox will not get cloudkicker tones. The renegade possibly can with a boost
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Blompcube
it's not about sounding "better" though. it's a different sound. some like it, some don't. so for some people it's worth the extra money and effort to transport, and image has got nothing to do with it.

+1100000

I have to use a 4x12.. The projection and depth just isn't the same with anything less..

Not sure why everyone cry's about moving 4x12s.. Put casters on it and push it. If you are regularly moving a 4x12 chances are YOU ARE IN A BAND. Have one of your band mates help you carry it up stairs / over obstacles.
/rig
Quote by mespinos

Not sure why everyone cry's about moving 4x12s.. Put casters on it and push it. If you are regularly moving a 4x12 chances are YOU ARE IN A BAND. Have one of your band mates help you carry it up stairs / over obstacles.

Because they're 110lb 14-year-olds?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??