I really want to start building a portfolio of good bands to place on my studio's website, because the only bands I've been getting in here recently have been a lot of work for very little in return. My rates are already low, and to have to waste so much time fixing the mistakes of others because the band sucks, just isn't even worth my time. I'm hoping with a decent portfolio of work, I'll be able to comfortably raise my rates to something more competitive to something other than cheap project studios, and bring in a customer base that's actually serious about going somewhere with their music, and serious about the sound of their album.

I'm sure a lot of you guys on here have the ability to record instruments (DIs at least) and at least program drums. What I'm offering is free mixing for your song of any genre (except rap/hip-hop/electronic), as long as there are vocals included (no instrumentals, sorry), and the stems are of decent quality (AKA - No Rockband mic recordings, or line-inputs into your computer's cheap sound card). All I ask in return is that you give me feedback on the mix, and you allow me to post the finished product on my website, listing your band as a client I've worked with.

At the moment, I can only offer 1 mix per person, but if I'm really digging your sound and I have the time to do it, I might consider more. Since I'm sure there will be a lot of responses to this, I reserve the right to pick and choose which songs I would like to mix. If I don't choose yours, don't take it personal, I'm doing it for free, so the song has got to be something I myself would listen to

Please PM me your MP3 "reference" track of the song you'd like mixed (doesn't have to be high quality, don't worry), or post it here if you'd prefer. I will try to get back to you in a timely matter.

Here's a list of my gear that's available to me to use on your recordings:

......Amplifiers:......

¤ Diezel Herbert
¤ Peavey 5150
¤ Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum
¤ Peavey ReValver MK III
¤ SansAmp PSA-1 Plugin

......Cabinets:......

¤ Emperor 4x12 - Celestion Vintage 30s & GK100s
¤ Marshall 1960a 4x12 - Splawn Small Blocks
¤ Soldano 2x12 - Eminence V12 Legends

......Effects:......

¤ TC Electronics G-Major
¤ Maxon OD808
¤ MXR 10-Band EQ

......Drums:......

¤ Superior Drummer 2.0
¤ Steven Slate Drums EX
¤ Steven Slate Trigger Platinum
¤ 20GB of custom samples

......Mics:......

¤ (4) Shure SM57
¤ Shure Beta52
¤ Sennheiser e609
¤ Oktava MC-012
¤ Sterling ST-79
¤ Shure SM7b
¤ (2) Samson CO2
¤ M-Audio Pulsar II
¤ (2) Karma K-Micro
¤ Shure Beta58
¤ Samson Q7

......DAWs/Plugins:......

¤ Pro Tools 9
¤ Presonus Studio One Pro
¤ Reaper 4
¤ Waves Gold 8
¤ Waves RenMaxx 8
¤ Waves Vocal 8
¤ IK Multimedia T-RackS Deluxe
¤ iZotope Ozone

......Interface:......

¤ Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 w/ M-Audio DSM3 Monitors
¤ Radial X-Amp re-amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 12, 2011,
Problem being is there are tonnes of people on this forum who would probably do it for free.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
He's offering it for free. Matrix, I'm in the EXACT same situation. You just have to let them know if they don't have their shit together coming in, you're not going to spend hours and hours while they take a few dozen takes to get it together. I tell them if they can't get a decent take in 5 or 6 tries, then they aren't ready to record yet.

Of course, I charge on a per song basis, and my rates are dirt cheap as it is, so I can't put up with too much suckiness from bands I bring in.

Also, linky to your website? I'd like to see how it looks. Mine's still not as developed as I'd like, but I need to bring money in before I can get any more equipment.
Ah I skim read and saw the bit about low rates, my bad.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
good luck man. Finding high-quality talent to record is getting harder and harder to do. the ones who want to record have all the money, but no talent. it's the lots of work/little reward thing you mentioned.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by ChemicalFire
Problem being is there are tonnes of people on this forum who would probably do it for free.

I'm sure there are... and no offense to them, but I've really only heard 1 or 2 mixes on this forum that I feel like I would actually feel comfortable paying for.

Quote by CrossBack7
He's offering it for free. Matrix, I'm in the EXACT same situation. You just have to let them know if they don't have their shit together coming in, you're not going to spend hours and hours while they take a few dozen takes to get it together. I tell them if they can't get a decent take in 5 or 6 tries, then they aren't ready to record yet.

Of course, I charge on a per song basis, and my rates are dirt cheap as it is, so I can't put up with too much suckiness from bands I bring in.

Also, linky to your website? I'd like to see how it looks. Mine's still not as developed as I'd like, but I need to bring money in before I can get any more equipment.

I do, and usually it's good for the first song we record and then they just fail hard the second song. I actually had to turn away one band and just ended up giving them their first recording free a few months ago, because they were disrespectful to my space (kept running in and outside, leaving doors open and inviting friends to come watch, which I kept telling them was NOT ok), and then for their second song, they didn't have a single lyric written for the second vocalist. That coupled with the fact that the lead vocalist was an absolutely horrid singer, and even autotuned sounded like a dying cat, I just wanted them out of here, even if they were offering to pay me. They also wanted me to do a bunch of stuff to their song in the mixing phase that made the recording sound like shit, and in the end, it sounded like a complete amateur mixed it and I was not comfortable having them pay for that.

Sad thing is, they were a band I had played with previously, so I figured everything would go smoothly and I wouldn't have to keep them focused and in line the whole time, guess I was wrong. Since then, I've been very hesitant to record more than one song for bands, because they've ended up just completely wasting my time for half of the process. If they were paying me more, it'd be one thing, but my rates are already very low, and they usually want it for CHEAPER, which is just a complete slap in the face.

The first band I spoke of, never ended up using my recording either, because they completely changed the song next week and just recorded it themselves, and the quality was even worse.

The last band I recorded was an acoustic/rock band that the rhythm guitarist/singer straight up couldn't play to a click track, like seriously - he was MORE off-time with the click track than without one (and the drummer wasn't much better), in the end, we just had to end up taking the best take the both of them did. I didn't spend much time mixing them, because, aside from minor parts, the timing issues were impossible to fix, and there were many points within the songs, where the lead guitarist is playing completely off-key and even though I told them this, the band wanted to keep it, because they thought it sounded "cool."

Needless to say, I haven't done much since then, because I'm completely put-off what I've had to deal with lately. However, I've done a lot of upgrading since then, and I feel like I can really put out some quality mixes now, but on the rates I've been charging, I'd rather offer it for free for now, if I can cut out tracking.

As far as the website goes, it's censoredmedia.net/eclipse-productions.html - The site is still under construction at the moment. We just switched to a different host, to upgrade from 10 GB of storage to 150 GB, and are completely revamping the site right now. There's a lot of information missing, and a lot that's outdated, because we just threw up a bunch of fillers from the last website on there.

I haven't gotten a chance to put any samples up either, because my friend that mainly runs the site, hasn't given me the login info yet!

Quote by fastlanestoner
good luck man. Finding high-quality talent to record is getting harder and harder to do. the ones who want to record have all the money, but no talent. it's the lots of work/little reward thing you mentioned.

If I actually had bands who weren't cheap, it'd be one thing. I wouldn't mind working with bands who it's there first time in the studio, and they're not so great at recording at first, as long as they're paying a decent price. However, I'm fed up charging <$100 a song and having to record for 16 hours on one song just to fix all their mistakes in editing, because they have no vision for their song. That's less than $6.25 an hour, not even including mixing/editing/mastering time. I'd rather go work at McDonalds.

Right now, I've got a band who wants to record a 10 song EP with me on a very low budget. They've gotten radio play on their previous song, and the quality of the recording is something I feel like I could easily surpass, with presets But I'm hesitant to say yes, even though it might give me some good publicity, because for one, they want to track real drums, which means a lot more work in mixing, and a lot more time spent tracking, and second, for all I know, they might end up taking forever to record other instruments. If I really dug their sound, it'd be one thing, but I'm thinking I might have to pass up their business, because in the end, it'll probably be more work than reward.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
My band's about to go in to a studio and record a 4 track EP if you're interested in mixing it....
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Drums really aren't too bad to mix unless the drummer is shit. You can knock out 10 songs with a decent drummer in a weekend. Just be sure to set up the day before you start recording and get your levels and stuff then.
You're talking about editing takes beforehand? Isn't that technically part of the recording, rather than mixing? Also, I've got to ask, are there seriously that many bands who don't rehearse their own songs before recording them?
Quote by Cavalcade
Also, I've got to ask, are there seriously that many bands who don't rehearse their own songs before recording them?

Absolutely.
Quote by Odirunn
You can mix these stems of a cover a friend and I did if you want.

Song: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/DW-Finalforeal.mp3

Guitar and bass DI's + drum stems: http://www.mediafire.com/?p1eph3wpbg641fi
Vox stems: http://www.mediafire.com/?9pwgsks303p2xfg

Stems are all pretty high quality, should be an easy mix!

These sound good, I'll give it a shot, but the mix you have already is pretty decent

Quote by CrossBack7
Drums really aren't too bad to mix unless the drummer is shit. You can knock out 10 songs with a decent drummer in a weekend. Just be sure to set up the day before you start recording and get your levels and stuff then.

That pretty much sums up most of the drummers I've recorded

All the others that I thought were really good ended up being massive perfectionists. Took one metal band I recorded about 6 hours, just to record drums on one song, because the drummer didn't think his double bass performance was tight enough.

I don't have a problem mixing drums - Perhaps you got the wrong idea. I have a problem working with people who waste my time, because they can't play in time to save their lives. I can fix small screw ups, but I can't fix an entire performance...

Quote by Cavalcade
You're talking about editing takes beforehand? Isn't that technically part of the recording, rather than mixing? Also, I've got to ask, are there seriously that many bands who don't rehearse their own songs before recording them?

No, I don't need edited takes, I just need takes that are of decent quality and are actually in time.

And yes, there are A LOT of bands who don't rehearse their own songs before recording. The last band I was in, I practiced like mad before we went into the studio to record, and when we got there, none of the other guys had. I ended up finishing my drums in 45 minutes, whereas the others took hours and our singer rewrote lyrics and his lead parts like 10 times
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol, you just have to tell them point blank that if they don't come in prepared, they're going to pay for it out of pocket. Then you just end up with guys like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_E3EWdtLHk

That get done in three takes with a few small mistakes. I give them a max of ten takes, and if they can't do an acceptable job, I either tell them to practice for a week and come back or to pay up if they want to keep trying. Especially since you're already cheap.

shameless plug