As my last thread has confirmed that I would benefit from multi-effects pedal, the big question is now.. what one?

My budget isn't epic, unemployed 17 year old at college should give you a rough idea.

Seen a GT-8 goign for £70 second hand in my local area, also seen some ME-50s on ebay for like £100.

Are there any major differences between the two? I can admit i'm being abit lazy, not really researching this myself... I guess I like being told what to do/buy. Bit of an information slut.

Anything else worth considering?
My Gear -
Ibanez RG3EXFM1, Vintage Les Paul copy.

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Trying to trade/sell an Ibanez TS9 and an Ibanez GRG 170 DX
Last edited by ADSr at Sep 11, 2011,
You can also consider the digitech rp series.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
the gt-8 is harder to use and has around the same number of effects but slightly better tone, neither have a looper if that matters to you, if you want a good multi effects pedal, way better tone and way more effects (and a looper) for a similar price - with a usb output for recording - get the Zoom G3. its easier to use than the GT-8 and slightly harder than the ME-50 and slightly more expensive (around $50 new, thats 30 pounds) but its well worth it and it doesnt sound as digitalized as the boss pedals.
A zoom G3 is £150, not £30 :p
My Gear -

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Quote by kutless999
You can also consider the digitech rp series.

The digitech rp series is also good but for a similar number of effects and a similar tone it is way more expensive than the zoom and way above TS's budget. even used. the zoom g3 is a much better option but out of the gt-8 and me-50 i would go for the me-50, its simpler than the gt-8, same number of effects, lighter and looks nicer plus you can be lazy enough to not read the manual and get the hang of the me-50 because its so simple BUT I WILL SAY IT AGAIN - THE ZOOM G3 IS MUCH BETTER AND ONLY SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE.
Quote by ADSr
A zoom G3 is £150, not £30 :p

i meant 30 Pounds more expensive than the boss products i know that its 150 pounds but used you can get it for around 100-110 pounds
Quote by itamar101
The digitech rp series is also good but for a similar number of effects and a similar tone it is way more expensive than the zoom and way above TS's budget. even used. the zoom g3 is a much better option but out of the gt-8 and me-50 i would go for the me-50, its simpler than the gt-8, same number of effects, lighter and looks nicer plus you can be lazy enough to not read the manual and get the hang of the me-50 because its so simple BUT I WILL SAY IT AGAIN - THE ZOOM G3 IS MUCH BETTER AND ONLY SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE.
The zoom g3 and the rp355 are both $200 new.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
GT and ME are not in the same league. ME is like a bedroom player's pedal, whereas the GT is more like a professional pedal.

I would definitely take the GT in that situation, the ME50 doesn't sound that great. If you do want an ME (they are a lot easier to use), try to find an ME70. If you want the sound quality and customizablility of a GT, try to find a GT10.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I did think the GT-8 looked alot more complex, I'd enjoy sitting for hours playing with everything. At that price, It's really taken my interest.

More likely to choose a BOSS branded pedal, because I just hear everywhere how reliable, robust and flexible they are, where as people aren't as confident with the other brands.

Think I've made my decision, thanks guys.
My Gear -

Orange Rocker 30 (combo)

Quote by ADSr
I did think the GT-8 looked alot more complex, I'd enjoy sitting for hours playing with everything. At that price, It's really taken my interest.

More likely to choose a BOSS branded pedal, because I just hear everywhere how reliable, robust and flexible they are, where as people aren't as confident with the other brands.

Think I've made my decision, thanks guys.

Boss aren't the be all, end all of pedals.
Saying that, the GT-8 isn't bad. I'd recommend it over the zoom, the ME series, or probably the digitech.

Saying that, have you looked at any of the line 6 pedals? I don't know what there prices are like
RIP Gooze

cats
Definitely go with the GT-8, it can get some very good tones. The ME always sounded really fake to me, and I've never been impressed with Zoom products.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That's a great deal on the GT8. But the amp sims on the Zoom G3 are far better. The GT8 is a powerful pedal in terms of control assignment, midi, and quality FX.
^ Good point. If you're actually using the amp sims on the pedal, stay away from Boss. Their sims are pretty poor. Where they really excel is FX.

If you need amp sims, try to find a used POD HD300.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ Good point. If you're actually using the amp sims on the pedal, stay away from Boss. Their sims are pretty poor. Where they really excel is FX..

I dunno...

I'm mixing a song for a band right now and until I asked them what they used for guitars, I thought it was an actual amp, but nope - it was a Boss GT-8. It required some slight, but odd EQing on post-processing, but it sounds way more real than POD Farm Platinum does. I'm actually quite intrigued now...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The GT-8 suffers from way too much fizz. There are tales of people getting good tones out of the amp sims, and I'm sure there are some sims where you can get a great tone. But it's no job for mere mortals. Regardless, for the price that's a good deal.
Much as I think the amp models in the GT8 to be rather lacking, at 80 bones, it's well worth the money. It's definitely a great deal, go for it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Also, if you plan to use the GT-8 for recording you can find cheap audio cards with coax S/PDIF input. You get a direct digital recording just like USB on other units. I did find it a bit tricky to get my audio card to record. It's been a while but there are some clock issues that you have to figure out in the settings of the audio card.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno...

I'm mixing a song for a band right now and until I asked them what they used for guitars, I thought it was an actual amp, but nope - it was a Boss GT-8. It required some slight, but odd EQing on post-processing, but it sounds way more real than POD Farm Platinum does. I'm actually quite intrigued now...

Actually, now that I think of it, the lead guitarist of a local band I'm friends with (Ana Kefr) uses a Boss GT-8 into a Marshall Valvestate of some sort, bypassing the preamp, and he gets better tone than the rhythm guitarist who plays through a Line 6 HD147. It's much more cutting in their mix.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92 I am thinking of buying the GT-8 as I am after a Slash (GnR) tone. Is it possible with a single coil (telecaster) or I have to use Les Paul? I also have a Marshall Valvestate AVT20.
Last edited by richardbenkovic1 at Jul 4, 2016,
Quote by Offworld92
GT and ME are not in the same league. ME is like a bedroom player's pedal, whereas the GT is more like a professional pedal.

I would definitely take the GT in that situation, the ME50 doesn't sound that great. If you do want an ME (they are a lot easier to use), try to find an ME70. If you want the sound quality and customizablility of a GT, try to find a GT10.

errm the ME and the equivalent GT have the same chip inside them - eg the ME 80 and GT 100 are the same chip and software but the GT is much more flexible and has much more effects and amp sims
richardbenkovic1

don't necrobump
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/