Page 1 of 2
If you're ever with someone/a group of people and you've got a guitar, when they ask you to play a tune, what do you play? (i.e. is it improv, fav song, sing along chord one etc.)
What ever comes to mind/what I have been practicing lately.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
usually RHCP's "Can't Stop". everybody knows that riff once they hear it.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by intheshadowplay

Same here actually.
Usually just a 12 bar in E. Everyone loves a basic blues progression.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Just start improviseing and shreddin because people who arnt musically minded are easily impressed at that kinda thing.
Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT
LAG Roxane
Vox tonelab le
Carvin 112
just tell them your insecure, seriously tho a three chord bash and get your vocals really loud , be confidant, go for it
I play Rapper's Delight....win!
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
One of my own songs, or Zelda's Lullaby touchstyle.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I start improvising in harmoinic minor. People tend to really like that scale. Either that or some minor barre chords or arpegios.

If all else fails, smoke on the water ftw
Quote by intheshadowplay

Honestly, it doesn't ring a bell.

But it brings up a good point to play something well known, and play it well.

Try GnR "SCoM".
Everyone's always asking me to play "Mario". When I play something else, they walk away.
We're all alright!
Quote by Most_Triumphant
What ever comes to mind/what I have been practicing lately.

Likewise. For some reason, Welcome Home has been running through my head a lot, so usually that or some pop song (folks in my dorm blast Friday all the time so I did an interp of that).
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
if there is a delay pedal in the setup - echo etude by malmsteen, people think im a wizard.

If there is a cute girl - tender surrender or soft part of altitudes (starts around 1:20)
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
I either freeze up with a thousand songs streaming through my brain at once or i play something im working on which is hit or miss since its not something i have down cold.
A day in the life (vox and guitar), name(vox and guitar) ppl loves those songs... and so do i so it works out great lol
SOLO!!!!

because slap bass impresses everyone easily...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I play just a bunch of notes because if I were to play to just 1/8th of my capability then the world's tallest buildings would crumble and I'd have yet another person who would envy me and being envied sucks.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
I play just a bunch of notes because if I were to play to just 1/8th of my capability then the world's tallest buildings would crumble and I'd have yet another person who would envy me and being envied sucks.

It does suck... I hate having to live to my fullest potential.

Quote by liampje
yeh little wing is great, im just trying to perfect that one now!
Quote by stevosmusic1
lol ill follow you into the dark by death cab for cutie

Holy crap same here too. I play it the way Gibbard plays it:
(bass note, scratch,pluck,bass,pluck,scratch,pluck)
NEVER fails to impress. Too bad i need a capo on 5th

Normally though, ppl who dont play music get really impressed by simple things like C#m-A-E-B
Quote by Joshua1207
I tell them I have tendinitis.

I did have tendinitis recently...

Quote by liampje
Lamb Of God - Walk With Me In Hell < a lot of groove and a fun easy song to play

Or I improvise. I play fast scales, which usually impress most people. Then some shitty tapping, and sweeps, which sound like shit but because theyre played fast the average person eats it up like a fat guy eating mcdonalds.
what ever comes to mind first. get wierd looks when it's an acoustic song though and i'm playing on an electric with high OD
Icarus Lives! by Periphery :|

I'm really into them lately.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Tessalate
Holy crap same here too. I play it the way Gibbard plays it:
(bass note, scratch,pluck,bass,pluck,scratch,pluck)
NEVER fails to impress. Too bad i need a capo on 5th

Normally though, ppl who dont play music get really impressed by simple things like C#m-A-E-B

haha yeah i can play with and with out a capo and it impresses people but its not hard at all
I'll usually play something I wrote. I usually have an acoustic guitar with me at most parties, so I can't make people shit themselves with super fast sweeps and tapping.
Quote by MatthewLeisher
I'll usually play something I wrote. I usually have an acoustic guitar with me at most parties, so I can't make people shit themselves with super fast sweeps and tapping.

Dude, an acoustic is perfect for sweeps and taps.
Famous riffs - something like Smoke on the Water, Back in Black, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Whole Lotta Love, Purple Haze or Sweet Child o' Mine. They're cliched, but everyone knows and loves them.
Page 1 of 2