View poll results: Smoking or anti-depressants
Smoking
20 47%
Anti-depressants
5 12%
WHY WOULD YOU NEED ANY OF THOSE LOLOLO IM PERFECT
18 42%
Voters: 43.
Nicotine, (smoking) or anti-depressants?

Me and 2 friends were having a debate because one of them may be depressed and the doctor wants to prescribe him anti-depressants but he said he'd refuse to take them because he said 'once you get on them, it's very hard to get off'. Which I agree; many people become addicted to them and rely on them for everyday life.

On the other hand, my other friend (who is a smoker) disagreed and said it'd be harder to quit smoking because it's a physical craving for cigarettes and it'd just be harder to quit, (he tried and failed)

IMO I think anti-depressants would be, but what do you think pit?

TLDR; one friend thinks anti-depressants would be harder to get off, other thinks cigarettes would be. What do you think?
Nicotine is the most tenaciously addictive substance commonly used.

The tragedy of Beurger's disease (15 in 100,000 smokers) illustrates how much more tenaciously addictive nicotine is than other drugs. From my psychopharmacology textbook:
"If a patient with this condition continues to smoke, gangrene may eventually set in. First a few toes may have to be amputated, then the foot at the ankle, then the leg at the knee, and ultimately at the hip. Somewhere along this gruesome progression gangrene may also attack the other leg. Patients are strongly advised that if they will only stop smoking, it is virtually certain that the otherwise inexorable march of gangrene up the legs will be curbed. Yet surgeons report that it is not at all uncommon to find a patient with Beurger's disease vigorously puffing away in his hospital bed following a second or third amputation operation (Brecher, 1972, pp. 215-216)
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Sep 11, 2011,
'once you get on them, it's very hard to get off'.

Only if you abuse them.

On the other hand, my other friend (who is a smoker) disagreed and said it'd be harder to quit smoking because it's a physical craving for cigarettes and it'd just be harder to quit, (he tried and failed)

The physical action of smoking a cig is comparable to taking a pill.

The complication on this call is that depression could create a strong dependency on taking pills if the patient was addicted to the pills as it would create a vicious circle if you will. Chemicals in cigarettes are highly addictive as well

I'm gounna go with cigarettes. The potential cycle of dependency in antidepressants is powerful, but nicotine is downright addictive.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 11, 2011,
Not only is smoking viciously addictive, but it's also very convenient to use, and the negative effects of it generally don't occur until long after someone is already addicted.

So I said nicotine.

EDIT: Also, nicotine actually is an anti-depressant. So there's that.
Last edited by metalh3ad88 at Sep 11, 2011,
I took anti-depressants for 4 years, I started on them about the same time I started smoking. Last year I dropped the anti-depressants altogether. Didn't wean myself down or anything, I just completely stopped. I had absolutely no side-effects other than maybe feeling a bit 'off' for a week or so. Best decision I've ever made.

Anti-depressants are only addictive if you think "Oh, I need this to be happy. If I don't have this then I'll break down." That is how psychological addictions work.

Tobacco is a different story. Tobacco is physically, as well as psychologically, addictive and even the withdrawal can be almost psychoactive in and of itself. I know when I haven't had a cigarette for a prolonged period I fiend like no other, it turns me into an irritable jackass and I find myself lashing out at any and everyone for simple things that shouldn't be made into a big deal. Every time you inhale a cigarette your brain creates new nicotine receptors which fire when the drug is wanted. It's a nasty drug.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
I'm no expert but i'd say probably cigs. Based on the fact that nicotine is the 2nd most addictive drug after crack. However, all ( or nearly all) drugs have addictive properties so I suppose that it could depend on the individual who's taking them. For the same reason that some people can occasionally smoke, but do not do so all the time.
i was a casual smoker (the most i would smoke would be 4-6 a day) for almost two years, kicked the habit a few months. it was really easy for me, i wasnt hanging out with my smoker friends much and i was dedicated to my athletic stuff, i still get tempted if somebody offers me a buttie but i dont usually crave one
I was on anti-depressants for a couple of months. When I came off, I had really bad side-effects. I was very aggressive to everyone around me, even physically, which is not like me at all. Coming off them made me hate the world and everyone in it, which was very odd since I wasn't depressed before I was put on them. I also had palpitations and was so dizzy I could hardly walk. This was when I was weaning myself off them the way my doctor said, and I wasn't on a high dose or anything.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by rockdude375
I'm no expert but i'd say probably cigs. Based on the fact that nicotine is the 2nd most addictive drug after crack. However, all ( or nearly all) drugs have addictive properties so I suppose that it could depend on the individual who's taking them. For the same reason that some people can occasionally smoke, but do not do so all the time.

It's more addictive than cocaine, in terms of tenacity. Even crack I'd imagine.

Freud gave up coke in a weekend, he died with a cigar in what was left of his mouth.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by metalh3ad88
nicotine actually is an anti-depressant. So there's that.

Ahh I didn't know that, and after reading the posts, I guess that smoking would be more addictive, but I suppose anti-depressants could be bad too.
I'd say smoking, but it depends on what you're smoking.

I can imagine coals being quite addictive.