By that, I mean switching to another persons amp, while they switch to yours. For example, the rhythm guitarist switching to the lead guitarists amp and vice versa. Can you use an A/B/Y switcher backwards? I have no experience with amp switching, so don't laugh
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

You could easily just unplug your guitar, move across the room, and plug in to his amp and vice versa... the only problem is if you have a shit ton of pedals you need for both amps.

But yeah me and the guitarist in my band do this all the time (we switch off on playing guitar and bass sometimes). You just gotta get good at it and be as quick as you can because no one wants to see you fumbling around with patchcords for a minute
An A/B switcher would not solve this, as you'd need to connect to cable to each amp. I'm sure you could buy something more elaborate (read expensive) so I'd recommend muting the amps and swapping cables!
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Last edited by LukeBTH at Sep 11, 2011,
Each of you can run into an ABY, and then have another ABY at each amp set to "both". You'll need high quality ones so it doesn't sound like shit. Either way, it's still a bad idea.

Why don't you just play each other's parts?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
........why?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
You could easily make a 'box' that can A/B switch two instruments between two amps at the press of a single switch.

EDIT: If you're wanting to switch heads between cabs, then you're heading into risky territoy. My suggestion is only relevant if you meant switching two guitar signals between two amp inputs.
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 12, 2011,
if the amps have more than one channel you can with each of you having an A/B box. But you guys should really just stay on the same amp, thats what normal people do and you can live without the tone you think you need.
fly135

Again....what amps and what is the goal?

Quote by Dmaj7
if the amps have more than one channel you can with each of you having an A/B box. But you guys should really just stay on the same ampyour individual amps, thats what normal people do and you can live without the tone you think you need.

fixed