Hi, i started playing solos a few months ago. The one thing im struggling with is doing a vibrato on the high e string. Maybe my technique is a bit messed up. The string keeps going off the fretboard as i try to like wiggle the string. Any help? Thanx
Quote by the hirsh
move your finger back and forth rather than up and down
i will try that thanx
simple rule
vibrato : horizontal movement
bending : vertical movement
perfecting both : a lot of practice ...
PS : English is not my first language
Quote by miragefortuno
simple rule
vibrato : horizontal movement
bending : vertical movement
perfecting both : a lot of practice ...

I find doing vibrato horizontally sometimes just isn't enough to get that large effect.

@TS Try bending it up, letting it go back to the original note, then bend it up again. Repeat to get the vibrato effect. If I'm doing it on the low E string I bend it down instead.
Quote by triface
@TS Try bending it up, letting it go back to the original note, then bend it up again. Repeat to get the vibrato effect. If I'm doing it on the low E string I bend it down instead.

And use your wrist to bend the string, not your arm, or your vibrato will sound very uneven. I made that mistake for a couple years. It was a hard habit to break.
I don't suggest doing a horizontal movement for vibrato with an electric guitar.

What triface said is the best way of doing it if you want an audible vibrato effect. You can do vibrato either way on other strings, but I think the generally preferred way of doing it is doing it up which in my opinion gives you a more precise vibrato.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
First of all, i think bending and vibrato pretty much go hand in hand, but that's my 2 cents.

It sounds to me like you're doing real small vibrato to try and stop yourself from pulling the string off the neck.

Now, lets say you're doing a small vibrato on the 12th fret of the high e. It might be difficult for you to get that tone you want doing a small precise vibrato, and you may have trouble not pulling the string off the neck.
What you could do is play the 11th fret instead of the 12th. Doing so, you must bend higher to reach the tone you want to achieve, but in doing so you have a lot more room for your vibrato
You could try it on the 10th fret too, and you'd have to do a real large bend and you could get some real aggressive vibrato out of that.
I personally don't like doing real small vibrato. I like having a lot of room to move and having some aggression to it if you know what i mean.

This can be pretty much applied to any sort of playing and almost any situation.

I hope what i'm trying to say has made sense for you :P
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 12, 2011,
Thanx for all the advice. Horizontal movement is a bit tricky, but its getting better. The vribato upwards seems easier.