Hello,

I posted a thread a few days ago asking about recording stuff... I am currently using my RP150 effects pedal that plugs into my computer via USB to record... Ive decided to keep this basic setup but I am looking for buy a sound card to improve the quality of my recordings... I have looked at this sound card:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Recording-Studio

But i cannot see how I would record my guitar with it? Would I just use a cable to plug straight into the sound card from the guitar pedal? instead of going into an amp..

-thanks
The M-Audio Fast Track MKII only offers a mic and instrument level inputs. This means you are only able to directly plug in a mic or instrument to the panel. If you want to run your pedal in the chain, you'll need something with line level inputs as well. I suggest looking into the M-Audio MobilePre mk II.
You should still be able to use your RP150 - just make sure that in your DAW you have the track set up to record from the RP150 and not the sound card.

A good example is this: I have an interface box and a M-Audio USB MIDI controller. I can set up a track to interface from the MIDI controller to any of my sound libraries to play the keyboard. I can also run my 1/4" cable from a guitar to the interface box. As long as the tracks are set up to look for the input from the proper channel, you're A-ok.

I'll tell you what though- direct line-in on a guitar takes a LOT of fine tuning using VSTs and impulses. I have great success with clean channels using Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube, etc, but distorted channels are where you'd want to use some of the "home-made" VST ampsims and impulses. Look them up on Youtube. My favorite "lead" channel has many inserts:

Input ->
Noise Reduction ->
Pre-Amp Filter Sim ->
OD Pedal Sim ->
Amp Sim ->
Cab + Impulse Sim ->
Stereo Reverb Controls ->
Post-Filter ->
Modulation Effects (sometimes up to 10 or more) ->
Track EQ ->
Dynamics (maximizer/limiter) ->
Stereo Visualizer Tools - >
Output

It seems like a lot, but it's because it is. That amount of post processing is what it took for me to make a "studio-quality" sound. That's for one track- sometimes I do up to 4 tracks for a single rhythm part...

If you have amps and a microphone at your disposal, I'd suggest mic'ing up a cab rather than toying with 100% VST sound.
Last edited by CV334 at Sep 12, 2011,
no one would want to hear that direct sound anyway. at least mic a real speaker, get some air moving, and work with thaat
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com