Poll: Is racism still a problem?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is racism still a problem?
Yes, and it's a major problem.
111 40%
Yes, but it's a relatively minor problem.
105 38%
Meh.
47 17%
No.
16 6%
Voters: 279.
Page 1 of 7
Okay, just for a little bit of debate, let's talk about racism. Do you think racism is still a problem today, and if so, how much of one?

I personally think it's a big problem that nobody wants to address.
u mad bro?

To not be spam, I am saying yes it is a problem. Maybe it's made worse by people wanting it to be worse, but maybe it's not. Maybe it actually does need to be addressed more. I really don't know.

I've never seen it personally, other than my step dad making racist comments about people on TV, so I can't fairly say whether it's an issue or not.
Last edited by byob_soad2 at Sep 11, 2011,
You can't even mention a difference in skin colour without someone accusing you of being racist these days.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

it's less of a problem in the developed world, but ion places like africa/middle east it can life or death

racism is still a problem in the western world, it's decreasuing, but just look at the daily mail or fox news to see it's still there
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
big problem?

uhh... nope.

ignorance and stupidity regarding what is and isnt racist? slight problematic, not really a 'big problem' however.
Was walking to teh bar the other night with a few buddys, and one brought up a scene in the Hangover II, and his explanation was "you know the short asian guy in the hangover" and some random asian guy on the street tried to fight us over it we told him to fvck off and learn that asian isnt a racist word, fvcking twat
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by smokeysteve22
I am a racist

Me too, I hate the 100m, 400m is ok.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
You can't even mention a difference in skin colour without someone accusing you of being racist these days.

That would be because of the whole "shoving racism under the collective mattress of the world" thing.

What some people refer to as "colorblindness," but what I call "willful ignorance."
It no doubt has gotten better, at least thats what the history books tell me. But people seem to take the wrong approach to racism. I've come across numerous people who feel it is wrong to note somebody's ethnicity, which is completely beside the point. It seems we are replacing prejudice with lying to ourselves, like Stephen Colbert "not seeing color."
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Black people are so black.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
No, racism is almost non existent, only in the more, rough parts of America, mainly the poorer parts of America. The majority of Americans are no where near racist, although people like to use the term to demean people they don't like, and everybody has the white guilt crap going on, and fear instant death if they even just slightly offend someone for fear of being called a racist.
Depends on the place obviously.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
It's still a problem, but not big enough to worry about IMO. Racism will also be prevalent no matter what. Humans judge people, race is just one of those things that are used as judgement. It's unfortunate, all you can do is try to not use a persons color as a judgement. but simply as an observation of who they are as a person. But that's part of them, so as long as you aren't discriminating against them, then it's all good.

I like to think most people have the sense enough to not care about race. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal, really.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, racism is almost non existent.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Prove it. I can go get myself killed today if I walk into a certain part of South Austin wearing a white T shirt, and being white.

Wow... I...

No...

you know what pisses me off though?

affirmative action.

race should have no aid to a person being hired, whatsoever.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by ethan_hanus
Prove it. I can go get myself killed today if I walk into a certain part of South Austin wearing a white T shirt, and being white.

You're saying only non-white people are racist. Only people who live in the inner city are racist. That is wrong.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, racism is almost non existent, only in the more, rough parts of America, mainly the poorer parts of America. The majority of Americans are no where near racist, although people like to use the term to demean people they don't like, and everybody has the white guilt crap going on, and fear instant death if they even just slightly offend someone for fear of being called a racist.

It's absolutely not "almost nonexistent."

Oh, sure, on an individual level? Most people don't have (overtly) racist beliefs. But what I'm talking about here is institutionalized racism. Which is a phenomenon that still absolutely exists.

And please clarify by what you mean by the "more rough" and "poorer" parts of America.
We've gone from hating racial differences to pretending they don't exist. Which isn't exactly worse, at least we aren't lynching, but it's not just a whole lot better either. It's either that (Colbert's "I don't see race" schtick" or stereotyping. Not all black people are athletic rappers, not all Asians are excellent students and musicians, and not all white people are..................

See that's how you know it's still there.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by ethan_hanus

Unfortunately racism is still prevalent enough that when studies are done in which they send out many Resumes to employers, some with "White" names and others with "Black" or other minority sounding names, the white resumes get significantly more call backs.

Racism still has very tangible and direct effects in the western world.

results show significant discrimination against African-American names: White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews.
http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873#navDiv=4
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa

This is an interesting observation, actually. I think, in some instances, the all-pervasive need to be politically-correct can sometimes be just as damaging as actual racial discrimination.
Quote by byob_soad2
I am saying yes it is a problem. Maybe it's made worse by people wanting it to be worse, but maybe it's not. Maybe it actually does need to be addressed more. I really don't know.

I've never seen it personally, other than my step dad making racist comments about people on TV, so I can't fairly say whether it's an issue or not.

This exactly.

I feel that it leads to serious problems but i'm not in-tune with world events enough to be able to definitely say it's a serious problem.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I don't know, its not my problem, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm not being a dick either. I think racists are just much more quiet, so I never see it. I mean don't get me wrong if I saw a minority getting pushed around and beaten I'd try and stop it or whatever. I just don't see it, so its not my problem.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
There still is and will always be a degree of racism, but I believe that it's propagated just as much by people making dumb shit into racism, or trying to stand out based on their ethnicity, etc, as it is by actual racists.

As an example, BET is just as racist as someone using a racist term. Why does it have to focus on color of skin? Can't it just be ET?

Emphasizing your race/color of skin in a way that separates you from other people by their ethnicity/color of skin is also racist. It doesn't have to be negative for it to be racism, and both sides continue it at this point.

My personal opinion on the matter is as long as you're not a total asshole or are hurting someone else, you're just another person, and we're all eventually gonna kick the bucket and feed the worms in the same way, so I'm not sure where all this 'supremacy' nonsense comes from.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
yes, but not so much here.

also, half the problem keeping it good is for races to let things go. an asian man saying the N word shouldn't cause a controversy. a white man talking about how immigrants are taking jobs should not offend latinos.

Everyone getting offended is going to make race stay an issue. Other than what you personally find attractive, eye color is rarely more than that- a color.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, racism is a huge problem. It's taken kind of an interesting turn where neoliberals like to imagine a colorblind world without over five hundred years of murderous colonialism. The socioeconomic vestiges of institutional racism aren't properly addressed by the state, IMO. Just look at the racial gaps in income, education, health, etc.
Quote by the humanity
yes, but not so much here.

also, half the problem keeping it good is for races to let things go. an asian man saying the N word shouldn't cause a controversy. a white man talking about how immigrants are taking jobs should not offend latinos.

Everyone getting offended is going to make race stay an issue. Other than what you personally find attractive, eye color is rarely more than that- a color.

the funny thing though, is people are doing the opposite and look for any possible slight word that can be twisted to be considered racist and shouting out RACIST!

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by strat0blaster
There still is and will always be a degree of racism, but I believe that it's propagated just as much by people making dumb shit into racism, or trying to stand out based on their ethnicity, etc, as it is by actual racists.

As an example, BET is just as racist as someone using a racist term. Why does it have to focus on color of skin? Can't it just be ET?

The problem with BET has nothing to do it being "for" black people.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Unfortunately racism is still prevalent enough that when studies are done in which they send out many Resumes to employers, some with "White" names and others with "Black" or other minority sounding names, the white resumes get significantly more call backs.

Funny, I actually heard about that study the other day.

And that's what I'm talking about. It's stuff about employment, it's stuff about income disparity, it's stuff about the fact that there are less opportunities out there for people of color.
Quote by due 07
Yeah, racism is a huge problem. It's taken kind of an interesting turn where neoliberals like to imagine a colorblind world without over five hundred years of murderous colonialism. The socioeconomic vestiges of institutional racism aren't properly addressed by the state, IMO. Just look at the racial gaps in income, education, health, etc.

get people to read "the giver" and they wont have that stuck in their head anymore

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
It no doubt has gotten better, at least thats what the history books tell me. But people seem to take the wrong approach to racism. I've come across numerous people who feel it is wrong to note somebody's ethnicity, which is completely beside the point. It seems we are replacing prejudice with lying to ourselves, like Stephen Colbert "not seeing color."

Exactly as you put it. It's not wrong to say a man is black, mexican, asian, etc. Saying things like "I don't like him because he's black" is wrong, but saying " Yes, we do have an asian mayor" is perfectly fine. Colorblindness is a joke; Some try to see that way, while many who fought for it now use their race as a crutch.

"Oh, you arrestin me cause im black?"
no actually, you were breaking the law.

You never hear "you arrestin me cause im white " do you?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

They did a similar study in the run up to the (US) election in 08. The researchers invented a political candidate, and made a website for him. The only difference between groups was one candidate had dark skin and the other light skin. You'll never guess who was chosen more often

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by MakinLattes
You're saying only non-white people are racist. Only people who live in the inner city are racist. That is wrong.

Wow, your deduction skills suck, you know that?

Wearing a white T shirt in Austin with red cargo pants is what the LaRaza guys wear. If you walk into black town wearing that git up, you'll prolly end up shot rather quick, because the blacks and the Mexicans HATE each other(in case you can't properly deduce this, I'm talking about gangs here).

Racism is the HATRED of another person solely based on their color, not what all you guys think it is, which is the prejudice of a person based on their color.

Go back 30 years, and it's defined as that way, they changed the definition to what ya'll know it as of now.

And compared to the 1960's, no, racism is not prevalent, it is almost non existent, you'd be a fool to admit otherwise. Yeah, there are still some racists, I've met plenty, but they are a tiny minority, and not really worth mentioning because they are such a small minority of people in America.
Quote by beanerlove44

"Oh, you arrestin me cause im black?"
no actually, you were breaking the law.

Right, that explains why blacks are suspected of drug offenses more readily than whites are.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa