Hi;

I've recently released an album - just me in the band, home recordings and I've put it out on Bandcamp (ourblisteredhorizon.bandcamp.com).

I've been plugging it on Facebook and I've submitted it to a couple of music blogs. Just now I've seen that someone has put a track of it up on Youtube, too, which is pretty swanky. At the moment I've totalled ~460 plays and ~550 views on my page.

This is all kind of first-week buzz though - I can't keep plugging it to the same people on Facebook. I'm wondering if there's any kind of longer-term things that I can put in place? I've only had a couple of downloads so far (I wasn't expecting many), but I'd like to put that money towards pressing CDs so it would be useful.

I'm also getting some (free \o/) business cards that I can punt out once I start uni in early September.

If it's of any use, I also play some acoustic stuff in the area.

Would anyone be able to share some ideas, or things that have been successful for them in the past in terms of keeping an interest in an album up?

Thanks for any help,
Gerbs.

I just realised the irony in that this kind of promotes the album...
Last edited by Gerbs at Sep 11, 2011,
I just want to say that the music sounds very beautiful... reminds me of isis or something like that. Great work!
First of all, get friends to recommend you to others - get them to post statuses on their walls. Also, send your music to online music vlogs/blogs. People like the Needle Drop usually check their stuff pretty religiously, and if he likes what you do, he will promote you as will other music blogs. Put your name on various forums, and ask local music shops if you can put a flyer up.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
possibly start your own youtube channel and put videos up, once you get people to hear it i'm sure that they'll recommend it to their friends. I know i will! From what i've heard so far it sounds amazing
Dude, you gotta gig. That's great you're doing some acoustic stuff around the area, but if you then sell them an EP which is instrumental rock/trancy thing, well people are going to get confused.

I can't stress enough how much an online presence does not translate into a real-life following. It's one think to click a "like" button, it's another thing to actually go to a gig, or fork out money for an EP.

On top of that, you may have a hard time getting a following with these mostly sparse instrumental tracks. I'd recommend getting a singer in and singing over the top of them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well, my primary aim at University is getting a band together to play this stuff. Just through constraints of exams and musicians in the area I haven't been able to get anyone to play the songs yet.

It might be a consideration to get some vocals on the tracks. It's something that has been suggested before - maybe if I can get a band together, the level of support or success that I enjoy will be a measure of how important getting that singer in is.

I realise that the type of music that I'm producing isn't the most... Accessible type of music - maybe a singer will help that. I think I need to investigate the local scene for less mainstream genres, see if there's anywhere dedicated to this sort of music. One of my primary worries would be people getting bored if I was playing this kind of thing when they're expecting to hear a lively rock band or something similar.
A singer may help, but also tone your own influences down a bit. Everyone has their own influences and such.

You gotta gig. Play in bars, play everywhere. Don't worry about people gettin bored and such. Let them all grow to the music first if you think they won't think its accessible enough.
Quote by AlanHB
Dude, you gotta gig. That's great you're doing some acoustic stuff around the area, but if you then sell them an EP which is instrumental rock/trancy thing, well people are going to get confused.

I can't stress enough how much an online presence does not translate into a real-life following. It's one think to click a "like" button, it's another thing to actually go to a gig, or fork out money for an EP.

On top of that, you may have a hard time getting a following with these mostly sparse instrumental tracks. I'd recommend getting a singer in and singing over the top of them.

+1

there are reasons bands tour to support an album. It's how you make the money and how you get buzz going about your new album.

You have to get out there and gig, take anything and everything you can. don't oversaturate a certain area though, you will get small draws to your shows, in turn can cause venues not to ask you back.

and another +1 to alan...Likes do NOT = REAL Fans!
Ok, I've hoped to have a real-life presence for a while now. What I'm curious is as to whether me already having a set of songs will be a good thing to get a band underway? It means we can start playing towards a tight original set straight off... My worry is that I have to find musicians who'll be willing to play songs that have already been committed to record - they won't necessarily have their own 'touch' on the songs. That being said, while I like the songs the way they are, I'd rather not have the band as the my own personal solo project with a few extra helpers, I'd want it to be a more involved atmosphere.

Would making an alternate live arrangement, with the members I get be a possible solution to the (possible) problem? If I can find people who are into the music maybe we can shape the songs as a band, rather than as only me. Of course, I may find people who like them just as they are!
Quote by Gerbs
Would making an alternate live arrangement, with the members I get be a possible solution to the (possible) problem? If I can find people who are into the music maybe we can shape the songs as a band, rather than as only me. Of course, I may find people who like them just as they are!

Dude, it's the easiest thing in the world. Just put up an add with a link to the music and say "I want them played pretty much like this". Anyone who's interested will already know and like the songs. Win win.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Gerbs
Ok, I've hoped to have a real-life presence for a while now. What I'm curious is as to whether me already having a set of songs will be a good thing to get a band underway? It means we can start playing towards a tight original set straight off... My worry is that I have to find musicians who'll be willing to play songs that have already been committed to record - they won't necessarily have their own 'touch' on the songs. That being said, while I like the songs the way they are, I'd rather not have the band as the my own personal solo project with a few extra helpers, I'd want it to be a more involved atmosphere.

You seem to have the right mindset for band stuff, as you have to be willing to let other people make their mark for them to stay interested. Being that you did this all on your own, there's nothing stopping you from re-recording changes made by additional band-mates once you find people that like your stuff (shouldn't be hard to do). As was said before, find a good singer, some like-minded dudes and get out there. There was a cool article about the difference between making a living by selling physical records that were self produced, and making a living through online methods, and everything in between... The link is probably on this site somewhere actually...

I really dig your stuff though. Would be great music to drift away in your own thoughts too.