i am long over due a new guitar, i am still playing the first one i have. instead of buying one i was thinking of building one. not actually machining the parts from scratch....rather just collecting the parts i want and putting it together.

So whats your opinion on guitar building? and is there and advice or info you ca give me to make it easier and build my self the best guitar possible.

the model i was thinking of building round is the much loved telecaster.

thanks a lot much appreciated, Calvin

www.facebook.com/retroject
I think its a reall fun project to do and always satisfiying to play what you made. There are many kits that you can buy that all you have to do is just put it together, that would be a good place to start
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
I think its a reall fun project to do and always satisfiying to play what you made. There are many kits that you can buy that all you have to do is just put it together, that would be a good place to start

where can i find these kits?
i did that with my guitar. its great if you have the patience to find all the right parts and everything and i think it was well worth it, if you want to. also unless you have experience with putting guitars together like that you might want to get some help from a local guitar store cuz its hard stuff and you dont want to destroy the work you put into it.
If you're not experienced with wood finishing/painting, then make sure you're prepared for 1 of 2 things:
- Disappointment in the final appearance or...
- Shelling out $200 - $2000 to get it finished right
Quote by JonothenRicher
i did that with my guitar. its great if you have the patience to find all the right parts and everything and i think it was well worth it, if you want to. also unless you have experience with putting guitars together like that you might want to get some help from a local guitar store cuz its hard stuff and you dont want to destroy the work you put into it.

I helped a friend (band mate) put his guitar together, so i know at least enough to get me 75% of the way lol.
Quote by calvinapen
where can i find these kits?

Carvin makes a kit as well as those others listed
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
If you're trying to save money by building the guitar, it dosen't work that way. Hidden costs of your first project include tools, do overs, learning curve, educational books or DVD's, finishing materials, parts that don't match, etc.
But if you like to learn, are patient, not too critical, don't throw tools, etc, you might have fun with the project.
Ther book "Guitar Players Repair Guide" by Bob Earlewine is my favorite for learning how to setup, maintain, and repair guitars. There are other books out there for every facet of guitar making.
Learn to solder and read a wiring diagram. Practice soldering before going at your new electronics.
And remember, your third build will be better than your first. If you're going to learn how to build guitars, don't think your first attempt is going to be your best work. The investment you make in tools, time, and education makes more sense if you plan on building more than one guitar.
Good luck.