And I need a bit of help. I haven't used an amp in several years (I've been using a Line 6 POD to do all of my practicing) and I'm going to be performing very often over the next few years.
My budget is anywhere between $700 - $1000 USD - can't go too much over that. I play Progressive Metal in a style similar to Dream Theater and Ayreon. Very atmospheric but quite heavy at the same time. I know what my ideal amplifier would be, but it's far above my budget. So, basically, I need a bunch of amp suggestions. I need an amplifier that has a really nice clean tone and can handle getting heavy. If there are any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. Thanks in advance.
OK. What would be your ideal amp?

BTW, I stumbled on a JVM-410h I couldn't pass up and found it completely versatile for band practice, recording, and stage. Almost does everything I want by itself, but coupled with FX, it hasn't let me down on anything I've needed to do. I haven't even tapped into the MIDI control yet. It was in your price range, but I don't know what they're going for used these days. With the balanced line out, you might not even need a cab if your PA has a robust stage monitor setup.
My ideal amp would be a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. I love them dearly, but it's simply too much for me right now.

@jetwash69 You're talking about the JVM-410h head / cab? If so, that's almost a thousand above my price range - even used. But it is compelling.
bugera 6262 has some bottom end

carvin 3vm?
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
i have seen used dual recs for about 1200 which is just over your price range. however, i'd be careful with them because, though i haven't played thru them, i've heard that some of them are starting to get really muddy.

definitely do some looking for a used marshall because that will probably be the most versatile for you. the carvin legacy (steve vai's sig) would probably be perfect for you. super smooth cleans and a real nice overdrive tone to it.

here is the bugera that hunter mentioned, this is a really great sounding amp, just excuse the guys talking in the first minute or so. the amp sounds great so that would also be a great option. bugera has some really nice sounding inexpensive amps, i'd just check into the reliability because i don't know if they've fixed the issues they used to have
If you want versatile and you get a Carvin.. Get a v3 IMO.

If you want versatile and you want boogie on a budget.. Used Mark IV combo. I've seen a few beat up mark Iv combos go for under $800.
/rig
I'm really digging the Carvin v3 from the videos I've seen, I'm going to really look into that.
I looked into the Carvin Legacy and I think I like that one just a smidgen more than the v3. I especially like the price. Thank you all!
Quote by Darc
My ideal amp would be a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. I love them dearly, but it's simply too much for me right now.

@jetwash69 You're talking about the JVM-410h head / cab? If so, that's almost a thousand above my price range - even used. But it is compelling.

Now you know what I meant by: "I stumbled on a JVM-410h I couldn't pass up"

If you include the price of the 1960a cab I bought with it, then the whole rig was $370 over your range. Without the cab it was within your range. But you may not really need a cab right away because you can plug it directly into the house or your PA with the balanced line out. And yeah, I know I got lucky finding one in mint condition that cheap. The cab is all beat up, though, but it sounds OK.

I've been recording like that (through the line out instead of mic'd) lately, and next time I do a show I'm going to try that instead of mic'ing the cab.

Still haven't decided whether to keep the direct tracks or re-amp mic'ed for the recordings. Haven't had time to do any comparisons yet.

BTW, those Dual Recs really really kick ass. I saw one for $1100 used at a guitar center and someone bought it while I was about half-way through checking it out--I wasn't in the market.

Using amp modeling running into the JVM-410 I can get some OK rectifier tones, not that great yet, but I haven't taken the time to really tweak it yet.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 13, 2011,
Hi,I just joined this site cause I'm into rare stuff and was looking for another guitar like mine,(I'm not sure there is one)and I stumbled across this thread,if thats what you call them.I'm strictly into Mesa's,but I have one modeling amp and I use it alot recording.It's a Johnson Amplification JM150.Its150 watts.Mostly I use the studio line out,but when I'm playing around with it,I'll run it through a 1960 plexi A cab w/two 30,s and two 90,s in it and a mesa b cab w/4 12 inch black shadows in it.This has got to be one of the most versatile heads I've ever played.On 1 1/2 watt studio out its Silent,and when you crank it up it'll hurt you.If you ever get a chance try one.I paid $450.00 for mine on St Louis craigslist.Thanks,panhead201
Last edited by panhead201 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by andrerist
i have seen used dual recs for about 1200 which is just over your price range. however, i'd be careful with them because, though i haven't played thru them, i've heard that some of them are starting to get really muddy.

say what now? Not even sure what you mean by that.

If the recto is your dream amp, look for an older 2 channel model. You can usually find them on craigslist in your budget with no problem. Hell, I just saw one on the local CL here a few weeks ago with an older 412 recto cab for something like $800.

EDIT: where do you live? That will make this a lot more accurate, since various countries have vastly different used gear markets and prices.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 24, 2012,