I need some good step by step instructions for defretting my Squier VM Jazz Bass w/ a maple neck.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_epoxy_guitar.html

That is a really extensive way of doing it. I didn't do the wood slots in the empty frets, instead I just got a wood filler and filled the empty frets. I also didn't put a epoxy on it or anything, i just use flatwound strings
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
use wood filler. if you want pretty lines or something mix glue with a dark wood, rub it on them and sand it down till the lines are real clear. that's maple, it wants a finish. best option is gonna be polyurethane. do a few coats. epoxy cracks, poly rubs. a lot easier to fix the poly if it starts exposing wood.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
So i have to remove all my strings wont that **** with the tension?
Quote by Kilty Boxers

Nope, that's just a common misconception. You can leave them off all day, the chances of it warping do depend on the quality of the neck though. I've seen some that have been off the guitar for years, and still perfectly straight, and others...well, not so lucky.

Just get a hair dryer, and some pliers, heat up the frets, and yank them out. Presto, done, you don't need to fill the fret holes, but you can if you want to.
Quote by Kilty Boxers

not permanently.

and you really should fill the holes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yeai was gonna use wood filler but how exactly do i heat up the frets and get them out?
ok and how do i get them out though? like will they slide out or do i gotta push em out with like a chip of wood?
I'm on dial up so it doesnt all load sometimes and that site will take too long but thanks sorry though
To pull out the frets, you can use one of these: (Invalid img)

Or be VERY careful with pliers.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I don't think we have a pair of those, why so careful?
Because the frets aren't straight under the fretboard, they have short barbs that keep them in solid.
If you're not very careful you can chip and pretty much tear up sections of your board.

EDIT:

Like this:

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Sep 11, 2011,
Because once you take the frets off, your "frets" become the fretboard. If you knick that while taking the frets off, it's like chipping a fret. You don't want to do that.
You'll get a less full tone there if you try fretting that note if you took a chip out of the wood.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by gilly_90
Because the frets aren't straight under the fretboard, they have short barbs that keep them in solid.
If you're not very careful you can chip and pretty much tear up sections of your board.

EDIT:

Like this:

I never knew that, that's kinda interesting.
Melts the glue holding the fret in.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

also, DO NOT pull towards your face.

I still have the scar on my lip.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you're really pulling at all, you're not being gentle enough. You just need to get under it gently until it pops out.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

when I was about 14 I did that to a bass, I went all in with a pocketknife and didn't bother doing any sort of safety precaution. I cut my fingers a few times but the bass was fine in the end after some sanding.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Also how can i get my action lowered on my 6 string? How much would this cost professionally?
Why would you get it done professionally?

I have no idea how much it would cost you but any set-up work would cost me a straight $90 at my local guitar shop.

It's really easy to do yourself, there's a great set-up guide in the guitar section. If you need anything clarifying after you read that, I'll be happy to help.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
I have no idea how much it would cost you but any set-up work would cost me a straight $90 at my local guitar shop.

I hope they include new strings with that, if not that's terrible, even by Australian standards.
I pay a six pack of beer for my set ups, but even Bass Centre only charges $60 for a basic set up.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Nope, they charge that whether they set up everything and clean it all/tighten the pots and everything oo if they just lower one saddle half a mm or something. You pay for the strings too.

I just learned to do it myself.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Ouch man. Adelaide guitar shops blow.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Well i called a place and they referred me to a guy and he is gonna charge me $20, but its free for him to just look at it.