I don't know if it's me but my keeley 4 knob compressor is a huge let down. People say its transparent which seems insane. Is it my guitar? Its a PRS McCarty korina with stock pickups. My comp is first in the chain. I am also a pro recording engineer. Am I just used to expensive outboard compressors? Any setting suggestions? It seems like the attack knob has an extremely limited range. I would think turning it to the right would equal a completely preserved attack but it still sounds like its grabbing hard. I also notice i lose high end when I engage the pedal. I guess so many people made such a big deal out of it that I expected it to be somewhat easy to get a great sound. I haven't been able to get anything good. What are the chances its a lemon?? Is keeley good with repairs or just checkin it out?
Frustrated.
Have you listened to sound clips of the pedal?

Maybe it just isn't for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by NakedInTheRain
You hate anything that's not an optical compressor too? Welcome to the club, mate.

welllllll.....u sorta read my mind. I have a sweet buzz audio opto i wish I could smush into a pedal. I also hated my dyna comp. I always ended up not using it.
yeah man, before my diamond compressor, i hated compression with a vengeance (i tried a dyna comp and a philosopher's tone). i can't stand that squashed crappy sound. even high compression sounds on my diamond give me the shits.

stuff it dude, just sell it. some people love that type of compression. i personally hate it, and it looks like you do too.

try out the diamond compressor. excellent optical compressor.
on to the diamond!! wish it had an attack control but maybe it just works. I don't know if I ever want a fast attack. I like trying all sorts of stuff. I have been drooling for most of their pedals. Fireburst is high on the list.
just listened to some samples of diamond. nice and spanky but not stuffy in any way.
Studio compressors and guitar compressors are a completely different beast (and I'm not talking about circuit type). A studio compressor is supposed to be as transparent as possible. You should hear nothing but a change in dynamic range on a studio compressor. A guitar compressor is a different beast, it is an effect and an old one. There is a certain sound that guitar compressors get that goes back to the shitty old ones like the first Boss compressors. A guitarist may call a compressor transparent but if the artifacts it had were present in a studio compressor you'd toss it in the dumpster. Conversely, I've seen guitarists in here complain that their good studio compressor sounded crap on their guitar because you couldn't hear the typical guitar compressor pedal sounds.
In short, don't expect a studio compressor out of a guitar pedal. If you want the sort of compression you are used to in the studio, go buy a studio rack compressor. Apples and oranges , man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Igotsoul4u
on to the diamond!! wish it had an attack control but maybe it just works. I don't know if I ever want a fast attack. I like trying all sorts of stuff. I have been drooling for most of their pedals. Fireburst is high on the list.

yeah man, it just works. you don't need an attack control. go try one out, dude!
the diamond is awesome. I am finding mostly useably sounds and having trouble deciding how to use it. It plays nicely with my jacque tube screamer making some nice syrupy tones but with great pick attack. It also sounds awesome as a dirty boost for my xotic RC boost. I was getting an awesome blue tone with the combo. Sounds like crap into my keeley fuzz head. So far its been a way better experience then the keeley.
Glad you're digging it. I settled on the Diamond after a couple other other comps that were decent but totally not for me. I hate the Ross style compression of the Keeley, Analog Man, etc. If you really want studio quality in a pedal, the Diamond is tough to beat. The units by Empress and Joemeek are killer too though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I solved some of the keeley mystery. The attack knob is faulty. 2nd broken keeley comp in a row. The last one had a circuit board problem and wouldn't pass signal when turned on. wish I could have actually tried one that works. Weird.
That is weird. I don't really like the Keeley Comp but it's a pretty nicely built pedal. The attack knob doesn't do a whole lot though. Just gives you faster than stock attack, not slower. The Analog Man CompROSSor is a very similar circuit with an attack knob that lets you set it faster and slower. I think the Diamond has a switch inside that changes either the compression ratio or the attack and another for a high end roll off. I never bothered with either one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs