Hey guys!

After I started playing guitar, I wanted to find out if playing in low action was good enough for me. Do you guys think the same? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of playing in low action?

Thanks very much!
Advantages- Much easier to play

Disadvantages- Kills your sustain, lifeless sounding

Take your pick.
it depends on what kind of music you want to play. metal and shred definately requires low action because of the speed of it. if you wanna play blues, jazz, or anything slower and more articulate, especially if playing rhythm, you want a little higher action. Just experiment with how you like it and youll find your sweet spot. a word of advice would be to start with higher action and then lower it until it feels comfortable to your playing style.
I think a couple of fair questions here might be; 'what kind of guitar are you playing', (acoustic or electric), and how low of an action are we talking about?

If you go with as low as possible, especially with an electric, you'll never build the muscle and endurance you probably should. Then there's the whole, sounds like s*** thing that SSampuser68 mentioned above.

(IMO) an ideal situation is to do a fair amount of playing/practicing with an acoustic as well as pure electric. It's similar in principle to a ballplayer warming up with two bats.

String gauge is also something to consider. as it pertains to rhythm or lead playing. I like to use a .10 to .46 mil "regular" gauge set on my electrics. But a lot of players might not like them, since they're not very bendable. To the upside, you can lower the action without as much risk of buzzing.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 12, 2011,
Action has nothing to do with sustain unless you have fret buzz. Obviously, that's the disadvantage of low action: you need a light touch. It's harder to use a slide effectively, too.

Other than that, I put my action as low as physically possible. Advantages? I barely have to touch the strings to sound, and I have the light touch to use it. It's much easier and faster to play, almost effortless. No point in making it hard for myself.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Action has nothing to do with sustain unless you have fret buzz. Obviously, that's the disadvantage of low action: you need a light touch. It's harder to use a slide effectively, too.

Other than that, I put my action as low as physically possible. Advantages? I barely have to touch the strings to sound, and I have the light touch to use it. It's much easier and faster to play, almost effortless. No point in making it hard for myself.

This