View poll results: well?
serious
15 22%
not so serious
54 78%
Voters: 69.
Page 1 of 2
Hey Pit.

I just watched "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" and it got me thinking about something.

When you're gaming online competitively do you generally take it seriously?

I have to say no and the main reason I rarely play online (I have a PS3 by the way) is because most of the games that have decently sized communities, have too many people on them that take it too seriously and just kinda ruin it.

So what do you think and what kind of gamer are you?
Last edited by homeless-john at Sep 11, 2011,
I play to win, but it's not serious to the point where I'm anything above 'mildly disappointed' at a loss.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I have a PS3 too, you brave manchild. Few are willing to admit it.

Sometimes I do. It depends on my mood and the game/how good I am at that game.
Used to be slightly serious, but trolling on online games is about 458259123482639 times more fun. People get so pissy over the dumbest shit.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
It's fun to be competetive, but some people can just take it too far. The point of a game is to be fun, and if people are ****ing around to a point where it isn't fun then yeah, I get a bit pissed off. But I don't mind competition.
If it's Halo 3 and I'm playing ranked Team Slayer with other New Zealanders then I have a gameface and I'll be serious as fuck. But if I'm just playing social or anything else that I don't care about my rank in, then I'll just play for shits and giggles. I would've had a 2.5 k/d in MW2 if it wasn't for all the games that I screw around in.
I avoid playing competitive games because they piss me off whether I'm winning or not. They're not for me.
Quote by genghisgandhi
whysoserious.tiff

Tiff files?

Well you spare no disk space to get your memes in do you? JPEG doesn't get the job done? You prude.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
Tiff files?

Well you spare no disk space to get your memes in do you? JPEG doesn't get the job done? You prude.

Who the hell uses jpeg?
Depends on the match. If it's a tight, competitive round, I'll generally try to help my team win, and that's fun as shit. If the game is lopsided, or the other team are playing like assholes, then it's time to whip out the Gustav and start teabagging. That's also fun as shit.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I love a competitive game, even if its a loss. I don't mind it where when I get beat fair and square. Dicks who abuse certain weapons/tactics piss me off to no end.
I play to win, but I don't mind if I lose, ya know?. The competition is part of what makes the game fun imo, but I'm not beyond ****ing around some games for teh lulz. For the longest time, when Modern Warfare 2 came out, me and some buddies would get in a riot shield phalanx in search & destroy, those were the funnest times I had with that game
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I've played competitively before and I have a tendency to take things way too seriously a lot of the time (in gaming and outside of it) so I play to be serious.

Granted, I like to group up with some friends and have fun some times, but 80% of the time, I play to win/do well. Or single-player games, I'll **** around and those are my "leisure-time" games.

Sometimes it gets me worked up to the point that I get really disappointed and angry, but recently I've been able to back myself up and say "Really? Is this work getting heated about?"

But then when I'm really trying and pull out a hard fought win in something, it feels all the better.
I recently started playing SC2 and beating someone 1v1 gives me more of an adrenaline rush than anything I can remember. There's something satisfying about beating someone at that game.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by MicroplanetAsia
sometimes serious... only play cod... people who camp are bitches

Play cod, but cry about immature/bad players? Hmmm...
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by MicroplanetAsia
only play cod...

my condolences

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by MetallicSka
I play to win, but I don't mind if I lose, ya know?. The competition is part of what makes the game fun imo, but I'm not beyond ****ing around some games for teh lulz. For the longest time, when Modern Warfare 2 came out, me and some buddies would get in a riot shield phalanx in search & destroy, those were the funnest times I had with that game

I don't play Call of Duty much anymore, but the riot shields in that game were a blast.
Wtf Is With This Xbox Vs Ps3 Bullshit. Both Of Them ****ing Suck. Why Does Everyone Always Forget The Wii. Wii Is For People Who Actually Take Video Games Seriously. Xbox And Ps3 Are For Babies.

But I dont take anything seriously.
Quote by King Of Suede
Play cod, but cry about immature/bad players? Hmmm...

naw im just sayin runnin into a room with a buncha guys hidin in corners n shit aint da best guy
Quote by MicroplanetAsia
naw im just sayin runnin into a room with a buncha guys hidin in corners n shit aint da best guy

It's called strategy. Maybe you should enter rooms more carefully eh?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I play Mortal Kombat online, and take it semi-serious. Depends on who I play I guess....
I never take online gaming seriously. I'm not the best player, so I don't get mad when I'm getting ****ed up. But I will feel proud of myself when I temporarily start beastin' on errbody.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by SteveHouse
It's called strategy. Maybe you should enter rooms more carefully eh?

It's not all strategy though.

I play a lot of BFBC2 online, and occasionally you'll get two really high level players in a helicopter hovering over your base and bombing the shit out of you as soon as you spawn. And with no effective way of taking it out, the only option you have is to keep quitting games until you find proper players otherwise you get no gametime.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

I play a lot of BFBC2 online, and occasionally you'll get two really high level players in a helicopter hovering over your base and bombing the shit out of you as soon as you spawn. And with no effective way of taking it out, the only option you have is to keep quitting games until you find proper players otherwise you get no gametime.

That shit ruins Oasis about 1/4 of the time. Your only hope is the AA gun.

Also join us

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SkepsisMetal

Yes and no. I watched a video on Youtube (from a popular channel with lots of content, don't think I could dig out the video) where a guy made an interesting point about CoD vs BF that could go both ways.

In CoD, games are on small maps with less players(than bf... normally 6v6). These 6 players have individualized killstreaks that normally benefit that single player kill(and normally objective)-wise.
So in this sense, if a team of 6 has one good player, they can dominate. For better or for worse?

On the other hand, you have the BF series which has large maps and many players (no killstreaks, but spawning vehicles that have the ability to dominate the battlefield if wielded correctly). But since there are so many players, the maps vast and dynamic (with the cover system), it takes more than 1 good player to win a game (12v12, up to 16v16... Soon to be 32v32 on PC). And the way it is set up (squads and the spawning system), you're only in communication of 3 other players at most times.
So in essence, it takes 4-8 competent players to win a game. And since one of the most popular game-types, Rush, it an objective based, being a kill ***** isn't the most important thing, like the majority of CoD game-types (TDM, SnD)

So if you put it in that sense, the argument could go either way.

In your case, if you had a few players who were decent with tracer guns/rpgs/at4, that chopper would go down in a second. I'm normally one who will equip the tracer gun for one life, dart whatever it is that's giving us grief, and before you know it, half your team is laying down mortor's/rockets on it.

Wall of text, sorry.
Quote by Banjocal
I like to play single player games more now. I used to play Halo and CoD all the time but now that I have my gaming PC I play mostly Half-Life, Portal, Minecraft, and most recently Dead Island (It's the ****ing shit.) But I do like to play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike from time to time. But I never rage over it or anything. Last time I went apeshit over a game I broke my controller. lol.
What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?
E--4-
B--4-
G--4-
D--6-
A--6-
E--4-
^^It's terribly hard to rocket the fast little fuckers though. Blackhawks rarely take me more than 2 tries, even without a tracer, using my Gustav, but it's a cause for celebration if I ever hit a HiND or an Apache.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I rarely play seriously, I get angry at people who do anything to win and use the shittiest tactics available just to gain more xp or something.

It happens a lot on popular games like Halo, Street Fighter and so on.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I think I've only managed to stick a tracer on a helicopter once. That was because it came for a low pass behind a building and I jumped out of a window and got it. When they fly really high, it's basically impossible. People just run for cover and don't bother trying to take it out.
And I never use in-squad chat. None of my xbl friends play BC2 online

foreveralone.jpg
Quote by SkepsisMetal
None of my xbl friends play BC2 online

When it first came out, all my friends had it for a week, then I bought it after the constant nagging. 2 weeks later they all sold it because it got boring. I feel your pain
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Quote by MetallicSka
When it first came out, all my friends had it for a week, then I bought it after the constant nagging. 2 weeks later they all sold it because it got boring. I feel your pain

I was nearly the same, but with one step before. I got it as soon as it came out, but the online was full of CoD players ( which I bought BC2 to avoid) so I gave up, completed the campaign and traded in because all my friends were waiting for it to go down in price. Then they all bought it when I was playing something else online.
By the time I'd got it back, they were on something else
Page 1 of 2