Is it ok to take off and put strings back on? My friend said they will never sound the same.
yes, its fine.

it'll be a pain in the ass to get them on with the ends twisted and cut short already but they'll be fine once you get them on.
I would just put new strings on, but they probably should be fine.

In what scenario would you need to put them back on?
Where's Waldo?
just buy new strings.

it's worth the $5.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would think the would be fine, but it would be worth the money to me to not fight the twisted ends.
You can try it. But usually the string breaks at the tuner pretty quickly the second time around.. If you just need to move while you do some work you can always get them really slack and tape them off to one side.
i have heard of people taking off used guitar strings and boiling them (Eddie Van Halen did with his), to kind of freshen them up to save a few bucks. the only way i would do that however is if i left my strings untrimed/not trimed as much, so you dont have to get that stubborn coil to back on so you can tune the guitar up like normal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hmm well I need to get under the pickguard on my strat, the strings are pretty good so maybe I can try just loosen them?
I'm confused, I change my strings bout once a week cause they lose their flavor after a few days. How often do you change your strings? If the strings are new couldn't you just wait til next string change?
Quote by Ericthegreat
Hmm well I need to get under the pickguard on my strat, the strings are pretty good so maybe I can try just loosen them?

Just loosen them, I did that to my strat when I had to do some work under the pick guard, it was a bit annoying, but it was fine.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
As posted above, I would just wait for the next string change. I time all my "maintenance" stuff around when I need to change the strings, not the other way around.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have heard of people taking off used guitar strings and boiling them (Eddie Van Halen did with his)

I was under the impression he did it with new strings because he says it changes the tone? Aside from that it's usually more of a bassist thing which is more understandable since the strings tend to cost upwards of four times as much as a guitar set...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have locking tuners and I tried this one and they all snapped when locking them back in again
LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Marshall JCM 900 Hi Gain
Basson 4x12
Linear Power Booster
NS-2
Tu-2
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I was under the impression he did it with new strings because he says it changes the tone? Aside from that it's usually more of a bassist thing which is more understandable since the strings tend to cost upwards of four times as much as a guitar set...

i know he did it to new strings, now that you mention it i dont know if he did so after use. i have however thoughout the last few years on forums ran accross people who boil their strings once they are dead, and it has worked fine for them. then i also remember some company (not sure if BS/fraud or legit) did sell reboiled strings only, like that was their thing. i somehow dont believe they lasted long.

sorry to get off track.

you can pull out the pickguard with just loosening the strings, its not that bad.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/