hey UG, im thinking about trading my crate 4x12 (or selling, then buying) a better speaker equiped 2x12. my cab has crate speakers and sound whatever.....not the only concerns im having is:

1# what am i losing in terms of sound response from going from a 4x12 to a 2x12

2# 2x12 recommendations, something to complement the versatility of my amp? i was checking out a blackstar slant cab with celestion 80w speakers (the cab that comes with the HT100 head) but idk how that would sounds through my amp.....probably should take it to the music store myself eh....

but yea, 2x12
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
You may just have a bit less bass response with a 2x12, but not a great deal.

You could check out Avatar, but they may be a bit pricey.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
You may just have a bit less bass response with a 2x12, but not a great deal.

You could check out Avatar, but they may be a bit pricey.

Basically this. An Avatar with some V30s will (more than likely) get you some juicy tones.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
+1 to Avatar. They are not too expensive new but are a great deal used. I loved my Avatar 212. A 212 will not quite have the kick in the chest that a 412 has but I doubt you will miss it that much. The better speakers will far out-weigh having 4 semi decent ones.

generally, the higher the wattage rating a speaker has the more bass it can handle cleanly. If you like lots of speaker growl get a lower wattage one. you can also consider getting one with two different types of speakers. I ordered my Avatar as a closed back Traditional with a Celestion CL80 and a G12H30. I sold it to gregs1020 to fund my Splawn cab which is also nice.

from a projection perspective - you can hike your 212 up onto something or turn it upwards.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2011,
budget is pretty errm.......low i guess. reason im looking for new is so i can put it on layaway possibly so i can pay it off cause i dont have enough cash now. how are the blackstar htv 2x12's?

*EDIT* checking if my samash can order me in an avatar

fck i hate not having an abundance of cash....they dont even carry avatar...shoulda seen that coming
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
you live in LA right? there should be tons of used cabs to look at

i'm not aware of anyone on this site that has experience with the Blackstar cabs.

the avatar 212s are like $450 new shipped right? you pick the tolex and speakers.

that marshall cab might be alright but for that money you could get a splawn cab.

i've never heard of the speakers they identify for the Genz Flex cab. Are they rebranded?

k
ok these avatar cabs look amazing for
$450 with any color tolex, grill, and piping i want with v30's o.0

guess i know what im gettin :P

and 1 final question to wrap up the thread....im using my 4x12 in 16 ohms as of now, and my amp has 4, 8, and 16 ohm settings. what ohm cab would i want to get if im going to be just using the 2x12 by itself?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
You know, the cabinet itself is actually pretty decent, it's just that the speakers are utter shit. It might be more worth it to just upgrade the speakers. At least that's what I'd do. 4 V30's are about the price of a decent 2x12. You could go way cheaper if you go Eminence.

Only problem with that is that you still have the "Crate" logo in plain sight.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You know, the cabinet itself is actually pretty decent, it's just that the speakers are utter shit. It might be more worth it to just upgrade the speakers. At least that's what I'd do. 4 V30's are about the price of a decent 2x12. You could go way cheaper if you go Eminence.

Only problem with that is that you still have the "Crate" logo in plain sight.

and wgs is cheaper then emminence but thats beside the fact that i dont need a 4x12 taking up so much space in my 20x20 ft room where i already have a bed, 2 nightstands, and a desk. plus its easier to lug around a 2x12 then a 4x12.

and dont hate the crate dog
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Mark G
These are brilliant.

i dont live in eu
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i dont live in eu

Sorry, in that case Avatar is a good bet on a budget.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by EspTro
ok these avatar cabs look amazing for
$450 with any color tolex, grill, and piping i want with v30's o.0

guess i know what im gettin :P

and 1 final question to wrap up the thread....im using my 4x12 in 16 ohms as of now, and my amp has 4, 8, and 16 ohm settings. what ohm cab would i want to get if im going to be just using the 2x12 by itself?

I think it is a good choice but I may be somewhat biased.

I would suggest considering getting a V30 and something else.

Eminence and WGS are good suggestions as well.

I would also take a look at their 'Hellatone' brand. They are rebranded Celestions and lower cost I believe. They are also broken in - which means your cab won't sound stiff when you get it. That path could potentially reduce resale value though.

I'd contact Dave, the owner, at Avatar and talk it through.

As far as what Ohm to go for I have 2 answers.

1.) Technically, it won't matter if you go 16 or 8.
2.) Two 16ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8 total may give a bit of redundancy and 16ohm speakers may have a slightly higher resale value due people putting them in 4x12s

They are good quality imo. On par with Marshall and Orange.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2011,