im teaching a 9 year old girl how to play guitar. she never played before i started teaching her, shes been playing a couple of weeks basically. ive thought here about strumming technique and about rhythm, the basic chords, shown her a few exercises on how to switch between certain chords efficiently and showed her a couple of simple songs like Wild Thing, Knocking on Heavens Door and Horse with No Name, which she can play, with a little difficulty but shes improving quite quickly. only thing is now im not really sure on what to keep teaching her. at the moment im just continuing to tell her about practicing chord switching and keeping a rhythm. but im not sure how im going to go much further than that. so any ideas on what to teach her?

also, any of you have any experience with the RGT books and they're grading system?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I wouldn't show a 9 year old any scales. All it does is confuse them and give them boring repetive things to practice. I would show them lots of simple melodies that I can play some chords along with. I would show them songs using chords. Chord arpeggios ala House of the Rising Sun. Give them 4 notes to improvise with and play little call and response games ( they don't need to know what scale these notes are from). Make sure that all your concepts that you teach are fully integrated. This will stop you from feeling like you have to keep racing forward thus running out of ideas. If she is good with her chord changes make sure she can play through many, many different styles of songs and have her coming up with her own little songs which you can then accompany.

Many times I will take my student's through the Mel Bay grade books. They learn to read music and its all in there. All the melodies, chords, theory and so on. Introduced at a nice rate on a 'need to know' basis.

Andy
Don't reinvent the wheel. Pick a method book, or a syllabus (like the RGT), and use that.