Ok, so... I've final reached the point where i have enough money and determination to buy my first tube amp... I've looked into a lot of amps and the two that sticked out of the pack were : Marshall Haze 40 or 15 with cab, and Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18.

I'll be playing hard rock mainly, some blues and some metal. I know that i wont have enough gain for death metal but i dont need it anyway. My guitar is a Jackson DKMGT with EMG 81-85 although i will be changing them into Seymour Duncan JB-59's. I also have an MXR Carbon Copy and a Boss DS-2. So, which amp do you think will suit my needs more? I'll be using the amp in an apartment and some live playing but without a drummer so i dont need ridiculous amount of volume.

So, my questions are :
1)Will the Haze 40 sound good in lower volumes or should i go with the small wattage models?
2)Which amp is better sounding in general (especially the gain channel)?
3) If i do go with the Haze series, which version do you think is more appropriate for my situation ( remember, apartment and some small time live playing )

Thanks guys!
I am a signature.
1. the haze40 while not getting the most from the tubes, will sound alright at lower volumes

2. i've not got that great experience with both amps, though i HAVE used both (a friend in a band has the haze40 and my uncle has the H&K) and i personally prefer the H&K as it sounded great. alex lifeson from Rush uses H&K and he gets ample amounts of different sounds and tones from them, and a billion different people use marshalls and tbh they all sound roughly the same so for versatility it's the H&K imo.
3. the 40 will be good for home & small gigs. my current amp is a VT50 and i don't take it past 20w at home and don't gig but i've seen these used at gigs. notably one gig at the Cavern Club in liverpool where i went to watch a friend of a friends band who were actually quite poor but as i was "with the band" it was free entry and free booze so i wasn't arsed but the VT50 held it's own in the club and sounded alright even at higher levels. so i'd imagine the haze40 will be the same in that respect, it'll more than hold it's own in a small busy club.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
alright thanks man! tbh i am leaning towards the haze 40... i just want to hear other peoples opinions...
I am a signature.
Don't get the Haze.

I wouldn't get it just because its a Marshall with tubes. It really sounds nothing like a JCM or any other marshall amp for that matter. Except maybe an MG.
Thanks for the replies. I did it. I bought the amp. Although most you were saying that i should go with the H&K, i actually went with the Haze 40 I had no way of trying the amps and to be honest i haven't found any videos of the H&K where i loved the tone... On the other hand, i've found many videos of the Haze that i liked, so... I find both the clean channel and the dirty one veeery full and nice... Thanks anw! I'll have it by friday so i may post my first HNGD
I am a signature.
so i suppose that i should trust your word more than my own ears since i cant try the amp... i asked for opinions, not orders.
I am a signature.
Sorry, but H&K amps are built much better than Marshalls. And you'll probably find yourself wanting an upgrade not very far down the road. Just trying to help.
Quote by Dmaj7
I put a couple of tubes on the floor next to my mg. Now its a haze.

why the hell did you have an MG in the first place.

first rule in the book: get rid of any Mg you might have xD
Quote by Dempsey68
why the hell did you have an MG in the first place.

first rule in the book: get rid of any Mg you might have xD

christmas present when I first started. Trying to sell it for $50.
Quote by Dmaj7
christmas present when I first started. Trying to sell it for $50.

knock the 0 off the end and that'll be it's value xD but good luck to you sir!
The Haze 15 is alright for 80's metal. That's about it.

Go for the H&K. There's no possible way it could be outshined by a Haze.

EDIT: Ah, I see you go the Haze 40. I've always heard their speaker cabs were far too small for what they are. I'd like to grab one and build a new shell for the combo with better dimensions for the speaker. I really liked the Haze, and have a feeling I'd like the H&K better, but if you're a Marshall guy, you're a Marshall guy
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Siandos.BCRich
Thanks for the replies. I did it. I bought the amp. Although most you were saying that i should go with the H&K, i actually went with the Haze 40 I had no way of trying the amps and to be honest i haven't found any videos of the H&K where i loved the tone... On the other hand, i've found many videos of the Haze that i liked, so... I find both the clean channel and the dirty one veeery full and nice... Thanks anw! I'll have it by friday so i may post my first HNGD

you are going to hate yourself in some time.

marshal hazes suck.