So I am GASing for an Explorer guitar. Problem is my local store doesn't have them instock so I can't test them out for myself. How comfortable are they playing sitting down anyway? I can imagine my picking hand has to rest a bit higher on the back wing because of the shape.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I found the back wing kind of gets in the way of my elbow. Not really a problem, more just a noticeable difference. They're also really quite heavy.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
I found the back wing kind of gets in the way of my elbow. Not really a problem, more just a noticeable difference. They're also really quite heavy.

lol..Can't be more heavier than my mahogany telecaster. 5.5kg that one is at,

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Comfortable in the classical position, and you got to relearn playing sitting. it surely feel weird in beginning.
I've tried the Epiphone explorer sitting down, and my arm/wrist kept sliding down the top "side". Did not find it comfortable at all, but maybe with some time to get used to it, it would be better.
I have played a couple explorers before and as someone said before, the back wing (or whatever) does feel weird at first but by the time I was done playing it felt normal so it probably wouldn't be much of a problem
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
I own and love my Gibson Explorer to bits! In the beginning, it did feel a little odd, however, i quickly grew accustomed to it (3-4 days and boom; discomfort gone!). The Majority of the discomfort comes from the shorter scale length than that of a fender, so the bridge is closer inwards. The back wing is only a problem if you play it in "normal" way while sitting down (ie like a strat- with it resting on one lap), however if you play it similar to a classical guitar (in between your legs) i think you'll find the back wing makes little difference. I actually enjoy its presence in this position, its a nice and cozy little arm rest! even when standing up
its all down to taste, but i really dont see the back wing being a huge problem
Playing the classical position? Wouldn't it bring the back wing even closer to the elbow? Ah... For the love of metal I should take this risk anyway. I mean, it's maybe about time I have meself an explorer!

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I play with my explorer sitting down all the time, it feels very natural to me.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I have no problem with it, normal or classical position, and I have a kelly too, even pointier.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I've played one before. I play in "normal" position, and it didn't feel weird at all. I'm also hardcore-GASing for one.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
i've never had a problem sitting down with an explorer, i actually find it pretty comfortable.

but really if you want to try an explorer that badly why not travel to somewhere else where they do have an explorer in stock? that's what i'd do.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Really comfortable to play sitting down.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Whatever. This thread was the last string I need to cut before finally decide on the guitar. And I did. So now... Hopefully NGD soon. Explorer! hell yeah!

This one: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/original/E-EX-100STD.html

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 12, 2011,
I have an LTD explorer and it's one of my most comfortable guitars. All of my others are either superstrats or acoustic. I tend to use the back wing as an armrest and it works pretty well.
they are great to play sitting down but if your hand is erm...a little wide, it could be a little touch hitting the last couple of frets, at least was for me
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by hminh87
Whatever. This thread was the last string I need to cut before finally decide on the guitar. And I did. So now... Hopefully NGD soon. Explorer! hell yeah!

This one: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/original/E-EX-100STD.html

That thing looks beautiful

But is the scale length supposed to be like that? It look like the pic was taken from an angle because the neck looks incredibly short.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ One second i saw the TS's post as the last comment. 30 secs to type this later and 2 people beat me to compliment that..........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Sep 12, 2011,
I find the website picture quite weirdly out of proportion too. Probably badly photoshoped. If it stands "628mm (24.75inch)" then I'll have to believe it, right
Here's how it looks like irl:

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I find the website picture quite weirdly out of proportion too. Probably badly photoshoped. If it stands "628mm (24.75inch)" then I'll have to believe it, right
Here's how it looks like irl:

Before I get flamed for quoting this huge pic, I'm sorry

That still looks like a very short neck.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?