Hi

I think it's finally time to buy me a new guitar. It will replace my starter guitar which I've had for over 2 years now.

I've got a budget of about €600 - 650. I might be able to push it to €700 but then It would need to be a really good guitar to justify the extra money.
I live in Belgium btw.

I'm mainly into hardcore and metalcore, post-hardcore and also punk rock (think Rise Against) so I'll need something with high output humbuckers. If it's necessary I might put in some new pickups myself. Preferably not EMGs because I'll be using this guitar for a long time and I don't want a one trick pony.

I'd like a hardtail, because I often find myself switching between tunings. My starter guitar has a Licensed Floyd Rose and it's been a nightmare for me. It actually held tuning quite well but it forced me to pick a tuning and look for songs to play in that particular tuning.

Any recommendations?
wow, very open ended, lot of guitars could cover what you need - do you need 24 frets, bolt - on, neck thru or set neck? Fender scale length or gibson scale length? any brands that you like the look of? thin neck or thicker neck? pickup configuration?
Ibanez Prestige RG1451. Awesome guitar, in your budget, made in japan, sounds very good for harder styles. Absolutely sick value-for-money-ratio IMHO.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
also which kinds of shapes, something conservative like a strat or superstrat, or a more extreme shape like a star, V, rhoads V, explorer....
Esp ltd is very good for this price range

I have a Ltd f-250 and a Ltd mh-350 and I love them ^^

I live in belgium too
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Ibanez Prestige RG1451. Awesome guitar, in your budget, made in japan, sounds very good for harder styles. Absolutely sick value-for-money-ratio IMHO.

This
My one gripe with it, is that it only comes with a gigbag instead of the usual J-craft prestige hardcase all other Ibanez Prestiges come wihth
I love the look of an Ibanez RG, and a gibson Les Paul.
Especially the RG with a neck through body with a wooden finish, where you can see the neck go down the guitar.
I'd rather stay away from the extreme shapes.

pickup config: 2 humbuckers. I'm very open about neck width, I'll compare some of the guitars you guys recommend in the store and I'll see which I prefer.
24 frets aren't a necessity, but I wouldn't mind having them.

I'll check out some esp ltds and the ibanez prestige rg1451.

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate it.
Quote by Highelf04
This
My one gripe with it, is that it only comes with a gigbag instead of the usual J-craft prestige hardcase all other Ibanez Prestiges come wihth

Hence the much lower price of it compared to the RG1570 for instance, part of every Prestige ibanez price is the J.Craft case.
EMG are only as sterile as the wood they're put on. Admittedly they sound good distorted no matter what you put them on. But I have a 81/60 Set on my Jim Root telecaster and it's far more versatile than I imagined it could be.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm currently browsing the site of a guitar store in my neighborhood and I also like these 3 which are in the same price range of the RG1451
ESP LTD EC401, Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom EMG, Ibanez ARZ800
Problem is, they've all got EMGs
I'll have to play them in the store to see if I like the pickups or not, I don't want crappy cleans.
(I've got an ENGL Thunder 50)

Some cheaper options I also liked: Ibanez MTM2 Mick Thomson Slipknot Signature, Ibanez DN520K, Epiphone Les Paul Custom EX Prophecy

The Ibanez RG1451 prestige is also getting a lot of attention, loving the 'white plaster' finish.

Any feedback?
Quote by Toxc
I'm currently browsing the site of a guitar store in my neighborhood and I also like these 3 which are in the same price range of the RG1451
I'll have to play them in the store to see if I like the pickups or not, I don't want crappy cleans.
(I've got an ENGL Thunder 50)

Some cheaper options I also liked: Ibanez MTM2 Mick Thomson Slipknot Signature, Ibanez DN520K, Epiphone Les Paul Custom EX Prophecy

The Ibanez RG1451 prestige is also getting a lot of attention, loving the 'white plaster' finish.

Any feedback?

From what Ive heard, the MTM2 is an amazing guitar, for the price. Never played it myself, but I've always wanted to. I don't remember whether it had a Wizard II or a Wizard Prestige neck. I personaly fell in love with the Prestige neck, and I can't stand holding a Wizard II since. :-P
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Quote by Toxc

Any feedback?

The 1451 will have the thinnest neck out of the group, that's for sure. I was in the same boat, looking for a nice guitar for quick tuning changes. I tried out the LTD EC401, few different epi + gibby LPs, Ibanez ARZ400 and none of them had the thin & unfinished neck that I require.

You could also try to find a used Ibanez RGA121. I just found one for $600
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by The^Unforgiven

+1 (assuming it's similar to the other mij prestige ibanezes i've tried)

or maybe that hardtail charvel wildcard. it's mij too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok Guys, I'm going to the store to test some guitars.
Hopefully I'll come home with a new guitar to show you guys
Try out a Hagstrom Swede and A a Viking. I've just ordered a Swede on ebay because the viking was a bit too dear for me, but I played them both before I ordered and they were brilliant. Though if you're only looking at solid bodies just ignore the Viking.

EDIT: I missed the bit about your favourite genres. Definitely ignore the Viking.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Sep 14, 2011,