well first of all im a new guy...i've been checking your forums for sometime now and the time has come for me to register. and i'll beggin with a question:

i have the chance to buy a jackson RR1 from 2003, for an insane price! and it is basicly new. ok so here's the thing....i dont really like the floyd rose, and i know it can be blocked. is that a hard thing to do? i am afraid of the tunning stability, since i'll tune it to B standard, and also, will the stock pick ups cope with that low tunning? it should have the SD TB-4...wich is kinda of a good thing....i used to be a EMG guy but the more i play the more i enjoy passive pick ups, but if i have to change the stock pick ups wich would be the best high output passives? ( do NOT include EMG HZ's).

I have a line 6 spider IV 75W and before you start the bashing (since i know you dont really like them) i am planing to change that one...i dont know....they sounded brootz when i started and had everything on max distortion mode but.....again the more i play, the more i search for a good tone mixing good distortion/clarity.....it doesnt cut it very well....im a going crazy or is that normal?

oh mokey rats i've talked a lot! ill stop now...open to all opinions!
thanks
Quote by Nür-fahrer
well first of all im a new guy...i've been checking your forums for sometime now and the time has come for me to register. and i'll beggin with a question:

i have the chance to buy a jackson RR1 from 2003, for an insane price! and it is basicly new. ok so here's the thing....i dont really like the floyd rose, and i know it can be blocked. is that a hard thing to do? i am afraid of the tunning stability, since i'll tune it to B standard, and also, will the stock pick ups cope with that low tunning? it should have the SD TB-4...wich is kinda of a good thing....i used to be a EMG guy but the more i play the more i enjoy passive pick ups, but if i have to change the stock pick ups wich would be the best high output passives? ( do NOT include EMG HZ's).

I have a line 6 spider IV 75W and before you start the bashing (since i know you dont really like them) i am planing to change that one...i dont know....they sounded brootz when i started and had everything on max distortion mode but.....again the more i play, the more i search for a good tone mixing good distortion/clarity.....it doesnt cut it very well....im a going crazy or is that normal?

oh mokey rats i've talked a lot! ill stop now...open to all opinions!
thanks

It's quite normal as you develop an ear for tone and get more towards what you think is "your" sound people more often than not stray away from modellers then a lot of people come full circle and end up with really high-end modelling setups like the Eleven Rack and the Axe-FX. They're for people who know what they're doing though, really I would advise that you concentrate on finding your sound before you get that far, especially since they're kind of expensive.

I would say that you should get the new amp first, pickups are very subtle changes to your tone that compliment the setup you've got rather than form the basis of it.

With that in mind, however, it's impossible to say which would be the best set of pickups for you since even you don't know what small changes your tone needs; a lot of people around here will recommend Bareknuckle pickups without really giving you a model to work with because they have an absolutely stellar reputation (well deserved in my opinion) but it's all about taste.

Also: once you have a good amp, you don't need high output pickups at all, modern high-gain amps have more gain than most people will ever need, even the most absurd death metal acts don't completely dime the gain on their amps for the most part. Too much gain just ends up losing dynamics and clarity and in some amps it just turns to fuzz.

Blocking a trem is easy, you just have to put something solid in to the trem cavity between the trem block and the body in such a way that the trem block can no longer move. Most of the time people use wood but you can also get things that do the job slightly differently like the tremol-no and the Hipshot Tremsetter. Look around and see which one you think will work best for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you really like the guitar, don't let the floyd rose stop you from getting it. They're not that hard to block. Look around at some tremolo blocks and factor it into the cost of the guitar. If it's still a good deal then go for it!

I can't comment on the stock pickups handling those low tunings. But in general, stock pups usually reach their "limits" a lot faster than a good set of aftermarket pups. Both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio have sound clips for a lot of their pickups. You might want to check out their websites and see if anything sounds good to you. I don't play a lot of low, heavy stuff so I'll let others chime in with specific suggestions.

That's totally normal about you changing your feeling about your amp. With more experience your tastes are changing, and your ear is starting to pick out little nuances in tone that you probably didn't notice as a newbie. That's a good thing. And I hate to tell you, that doesn't change. After 16 years of playing I'm still "perfecting" my tone
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
plz just get this in your head. If your doing B standard either get a baritone 6 string or even easier a 7 string. A 6 string with a floyd would die a cruel death in b standard. Intonation is a giant problem there. If your getting a 6 string floyd rose guitar, you have to watch the string gauge you use also, cant be too big because itll destroy the saddle blocks faster.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
first of all, thanks everyone for your answers, i see more clearely now

and yes, i guess with time your ear starts to listen...i mean reaaally listen.

Zaphod_Beeblebr: i see what you mean, a high out put pick up may not be needed and you are probably right, i should change my amp first and then only (if really really necessary change the pick ups). and yeah like you said to much gain kills the clarity, kinda what i've been having a problem with EMG's...i can make them sound clear, its all in the amp and the way you play! but when playing passives i dont know....i enjoy them more!

57Goldtop: honnestly...yeah i hate floyds so much that im afraid to get that guitar even though i fell in love with it! but thats really the only thing and i might never get another chance like this one again!
and you're also right....i guess the quest for the "perfect" tone is never really over....once you get what you think you wanted you realise you want something else.....kinda like with women ha?

bustapr: i see what you mean, and i thought of a 7 too but....theres so much i still have to learn with a 6....i dont really feel like getting a 7.
and did you ever looked at a guitar and thought: "goddamnit....i HAVE to get that thing no matter what!!" ?
thats what i say to myself every time i see the add! if i'd have to sacrice that b standard tunning.....well i will! does the floyd copes better in a C or C sharp?
i like low tunnings (dont know why but i always did) but if i have to go from a B to a C....so be it (or even higher). how low do you think i can go without compromising the integraty of the floyd?