Im looking for a new amp. I play modern rock (foo fighters etc.), metal (metallica, pantera, BFMV, periphery and trivium) and a bit of RATM and classic rock and i do need cleans. My budget is £600 and i will use it for home, band practice and small gigs. Id prefer to buy new. I play an Ibanez RG350M through a Vox VT40+ at the moment.

Which out of the Jet City JCA50, Laney Ironheart 60 and the Blackstar HT-100 would you reccomend?
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
I've never personally played any of those three, but I've heard lots of good things about Blackstar amps as far as metal goes...don't know anything about the other two though...
If u wanna play a wide variety of styles, consider a Peavey Vypyr .. they are really good.... for ur high budget, try 60W one.. heard its a tube amp....
Jet City all the way. It's awesome for what you're describing. The Laney's good, but I'd still go for the JCA50H. I wouldn't get the Jet City cab, though.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
definately DON'T GET A PEAVEY VYPYR, the people telling you to dont know what theyre talking about, get the JCA50H. youll be sorry if you get a vypyr
Jet City makes quality amps, but I think the Blackstar would fit the bill a bit better. Just my opinion.
Quote by nitarsh
If u wanna play a wide variety of styles, consider a Peavey Vypyr .. they are really good.... for ur high budget, try 60W one.. heard its a tube amp....

...Anyway, i'd go for the Laney or the Jet City.
The Blackstar HT-100 isn't bad at all, but the other two are better, IMHO.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
the blackstar is very versatile, a little Biased as i just got the stage 60, with extension cab,
Its supposed to be a hybrid though, But Preamp and output Stages are all valve, and i think a hybrid is usually Preamp SS Power amp Valves. so that doesn't clock with me.

Enjoy
Quote by Lespauljames
Its supposed to be a hybrid though, But Preamp and output Stages are all valve, and i think a hybrid is usually Preamp SS Power amp Valves. so that doesn't clock with me.

It's "hybrid" in the sense that the first JCM800s were "hybrid." It's got a tube preamp and tube power amp, it just contains solid state distortion devices--op-amp clipping IIRC. So basically it's a tube amp with SS distortion.

No, in Mesas the diode switch is for the rectifier.

Quote by itamar101
definately DON'T GET A PEAVEY VYPYR, the people telling you to dont know what theyre talking about, get the JCA50H. youll be sorry if you get a vypyr

Agreed.

What about a 6505+112 combo?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
i dont like the JCA50. i had one for a month and got rid of it. i haven't really been blown away by the blackstar.

second time i have recommended this tonight...

Egnater Renegade. there isn't much it wont do, very flexible and well designed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for all the replies guys, i'm just wondering will the JCA50 be voiced modernly enough for metalcore and djent? I was under the impression that it was more 80s metal voiced, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It's "hybrid" in the sense that the first JCM800s were "hybrid." It's got a tube preamp and tube power amp, it just contains solid state distortion devices--op-amp clipping IIRC. So basically it's a tube amp with SS distortion.

don't you mean the 900s? the first 800s were all-tube, as far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh and also, what about the egnater tweaker 40?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Anyone?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Tweaker would be an awesome choice, IMO your other option (if you want to save a few bucks) is the Jet City with a good pedal or two to boost it. As far as the voicing, I wouldn't really call it an 80's sound, but thats me.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Tweaker would be an awesome choice, IMO your other option (if you want to save a few bucks) is the Jet City with a good pedal or two to boost it. As far as the voicing, I wouldn't really call it an 80's sound, but thats me.

thanks, by that I meant that it's not as modern as the Blackstar.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Ibanez734
thanks, by that I meant that it's not as modern as the Blackstar.

Yeah, it can't really do the modern metal sound on it's own. I put a EHX Metal Muff and got there pretty easily though *shrug*
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
My final choice is Egnater Tweaker 40 or JCA50h...which one would be better for the styles Ive listed at the top?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Tweaker... Or wait for the jet city JCA22h
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by Dave_Mc

This ancient thread has been forgotten by all those who once held it dear, lost beneath the sands of time...and yet, from its ruins, I hear a calling. A calling to correct an error, that should future explorers discover it, they will not be consumed by our misinformation, not be destroyed by mistakes. So I shall return, that the truth may be known.

Once more into the breach! For truth! For justice! For glory!

ahem.

No, I meant the 800. I don't know about the very first model, but most early JCM800s used solid state distortion. So did the Silver Jubilee Slash used. The reissue is only all-tube because modern guitarists are pickier about solid-state stuff than the rockers of the 80s.

Quote by Dave_Mc

The single channel 2203/2204 amps were all tube apart from the rectifier. The dual channel 2205/2210 amps had that terrible bridge/diode clipping circuit. The 900's had the same clipping circuit but also a buttload of op-amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ yeah that's what I thought
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Single channel jcm800s are more sought then the dual channels for the very reason that they have no solid state clipping. So its not really an appropriate argument to stand up for blackstar especially when there's so many great amps that can do a great all tube distortion circuit.
I've never really been all that impressed with the tone of blackstars honestly. And i'm not talking about watching tone king clips here actual good players make them sound meh to me..
Need to try one i suppose
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 31, 2011,