'Super-Earth,' 1 of 50 Newfound Alien Planets, Could Potentially Support Life

Page 1 of 2
More than 50 new alien planets — including one so-called super-Earth that could potentially support life — have been discovered by an exoplanet-hunting telescope from the European Southern Observatory (ESO).

The newfound haul of alien planets includes 16 super-Earths, which are potentially rocky worlds that are more massive than our planet. One in particular - called HD 85512 b - has captured astronomers' attention because it orbits at the edge of its star's habitable zone, suggesting conditions could be ripe to support life.

The exoplanet findings came from observations from the High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher instrument, or HARPS. The HARPS spectrograph is part of ESO's 11.8-foot (3.6-meter) telescope at the La Silla Observatory in Chile.

Article

Thoughts?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The graphics aren't as good as Avatar.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Oh great. More planets for us to rape and pillage. Yay.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by sage76

No one invited you.
This is cool and all, but this happens all the time, it's always, "HAY GUYZ THURS A PLANIT THAT COULD SUPPORT LIFE!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"
"How far away is it?"
"only like....3493 lightyears away, closest one yet!"
"............so that information of it even being there is now useless seeing as we'll never get there."
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
This is cool and all, but this happens all the time, it's always, "HAY GUYZ THURS A PLANIT THAT COULD SUPPORT LIFE!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"
"How far away is it?"
"............so that information of it even being there is now useless seeing as we'll never get there."

Learn2wormhole
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sage76

Yeah!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by blake1221
No one invited you.

Sarcasm detector not working...?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by Tango616
"How far away is it?"

Exactly. Until we develop much better propulsion, we're stuck here. Considering that our current knowledge base would require us to burn the Earth as a whole in order to move fast enough to even approach leaving the solar system in a timely manner which wouldn't require 4 or 5 generations of "stuck on a ship, so reproduce that way when we get to world B (which may or may no support life) there will be people left!"

I'm not saying we won't do it eventually... 100 years ago, you could almost never meet anyone who didn't live within a few hundred miles of you... but I'm not hopeful my children's children's children will be living on other planets.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Learn2wormhole

NO U, But more specifically scientists.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by sage76
Sarcasm detector not working...?

Dude, you just really don't understand, do you?

Quote by Tango616
NO U, But more specifically scientists.

Good one.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 12, 2011,
Awesome. A new planet that we "could potentially" ruin before looking for another one to "potentially" ruin.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by ZanasCross
Way to be positive about life, man.

No problem, man.

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Only 35ly eh? Let's start sending them messages. But like, hope we get super lucky, because, you know, radio equipment is kinda specific

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by ZanasCross
Exactly. Until we develop much better propulsion, we're stuck here. Considering that our current knowledge base would require us to burn the Earth as a whole in order to move fast enough to even approach leaving the solar system in a timely manner which wouldn't require 4 or 5 generations of "stuck on a ship, so reproduce that way when we get to world B (which may or may no support life) there will be people left!"

I'm not saying we won't do it eventually... 100 years ago, you could almost never meet anyone who didn't live within a few hundred miles of you... but I'm not hopeful my children's children's children will be living on other planets.

If your great-grandkids are already living on other planets, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

And I hate them.

EDIT: whoops, missed the "not" in that sentence.
in another internet forum, far, far, away:

OP: hey guys, a solar system has been discovered that could possibly support life within one of the planetary bodies a few thousand light years away

poster 1: who gives a shit man let's just continue being green and shit

poster 2: okay.ysh (i assume they don't have jpg)
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
That's awesome. I was looking at the comments on the yahoo article and thought to myself

so this could be good for me.
earlier in another thread someone posted a link to a youtube video of a futurama clip with some alien bastard saying something regarding how indifferent he is on the matter

well i cant find it but just imagine i put there here instead of all these words
No, just no.
Nowhere in the bible does it say there is like elsewhere.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Old news. Wake me up when they find a way to detect whether it has an atmosphere.
LMAO

I meant to post this.

But yes, tell me more.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Old news. Wake me up when they find a way to detect whether it has an atmosphere.

Aren't the chances of that pretty high? It is far away enough from the sun and it has enough mass?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Aren't the chances of that pretty high? It is far away enough from the sun and it has enough mass?

Magnetism's more important. Mars is big enough to sustain an atmosphere, but it scarcely has a thin one. Earth has a magnetic field that deflects solar rays; Mars does not.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Magnetism's more important. Mars is big enough to sustain an atmosphere, but it scarcely has a thin one. Earth has a magnetic field that deflects solar rays; Mars does not.

Damn, I knew I forgot about something .
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
"The Brain" pfft...
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
"The Brain" pfft...

Yeah I should have known that. I study Earth sciences and forgot about something like that .

Wait... an '11er can't say something like that to me. **** YOU!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Tango616
"How far away is it?"

Just get in your Medivac and right click that bitch. You'll get there eventually.
Page 1 of 2