Hey guys!
I've seen on a music shop a few Electro Harmonix stuff. Now, I've heard that their pedals are just great, but they were too damn cheap. I mean, usually it's a good thing, but the Big Muff costs like a low-budget beginner pedal at the VERY SAME SHOP.
Beside for the British Muffn, they were all suspiciously cheap!
Are they any good?
Are they tube? All tube?
Is there ANYTHING wrong with them?
I used to use a metal muff and it was one of the better distortion pedals I have ever used.
LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Marshall JCM 900 Hi Gain
Basson 4x12
Linear Power Booster
NS-2
Tu-2
They make some pretty decent stuff and sell it for a reasonable price.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
The Boss metal zone, which is pure crap, sells for MORE THAN TWICE than the Metal Muff. And I'm thinking, what's the catch?
you sure the muff isn't second hand or something?
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Short answer?

No.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
well, i recently got the micro metal muff, and it is worth it's price in my opinion. you really have to tweak the clean settings on your amp more than the pedal itself. but that just that one pedal and i don't know about any other
Long answer: they make some stuff that's decent for ambient or modern rock that you can get for a fair price on the used market if you're on a budget.

Also, no.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
So the products themselves are good quality, no catch?
Are they true bypass, by the way?
Not bad for introductory pedals, just like Sam Adams can introduce you to good beers but won't suffice upon delving deeper. And no, most aren't tube.
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Long answer: they make some stuff that's decent for ambient or modern rock that you can get for a fair price on the used market if you're on a budget.

Also, no.

well yeah.

EHX make a load of "niche" stuff that offers a distinctive sound that isn't especially usable in too many applications. they are good at what they do but what they do is an aquired taste. i have a whole load of EHX pedals i rarely use

and i think the build quality and component quality has suffered a lot since they've been using that die-cast 'XO' chassis instead of the classic sheet metal construction. but maybe that's just my imagination
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the cheap reputation comes from the original pedals from the 70s not the new ones.

personally i like their pedals and things like the Big Muff are industry standards. check em out and don't worry about them crapping out on you.
Quote by eyalcisv
So the products themselves are good quality, no catch?
Are they true bypass, by the way?

It depends on the pedal you're buying.

I wouldn't hinge my pedal purchases based on whether a pedal is true bypass or not.

The Big Muff has been used by countless people, from David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) to Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) to Dan Auerbach (Black Keys)

Of course, there are and were tons of variations on the Muff design, but the Muff is a very good pedal. I own one myself.

Check out some of EHX's other pedals, like the POG, Cathedral, Deluxe Memory Man, Q-Tron, etc. if you think that all EHX makes is cheap stuff.

Hell, they make the HOG, which is one of the most expensive pedals on the market when you add in all its accessories, but it can also do some very cool things.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wouldn't go all out and buy all the EHX stuff but they do make some of the best of certain pedals. Most of them are true bypass.

The pedals that they really shine in are The Muffs, Memory Man, and the POG!

From what I understand, dirt pedals are extremely cheap to make, which is why the muff is so low. Theres nothing wrong with it. I got a little big muff and its cool. Really depends on what kind of music you play though.

I'm thinking about getting the neo clone, it looks legit.
Quote by eyalcisv
Hey guys!
I've seen on a music shop a few Electro Harmonix stuff. Now, I've heard that their pedals are just great, but they were too damn cheap. I mean, usually it's a good thing, but the Big Muff costs like a low-budget beginner pedal at the VERY SAME SHOP.
Beside for the British Muffn, they were all suspiciously cheap!
Are they any good?
Are they tube? All tube?
Is there ANYTHING wrong with them?

it depends on with ehx item your talking about. some are ok, most are good, but very few are great.
Hmmmm I enjoy the crap outta the EHX Small Clone Chorus pedal as well, yes its a one knob one trick pony but it does that one trick pretty damn good. I am a big fan of the Big Muff and Metal Muff aswell both are very competitively priced and very good units for the price too. Don't let the name scare you off, always play with a pedal you may be interested in, you could find yourself more surprised then you imagined, unless of course that pedal has Behringer on it!
Quote by lucky1978
Are they true bypass? What about Boss? Dunlop/WayHuge/Visual Sound?

Electro-Harmonix and Visual Sounds make awesome pedals. Most EH are true bypass but the VS use "puretone buffer", which is just as good imo.
I use a Small Clone, most natural sounding chorus I've ever used.
Gibson Les Paul [498T + 490R]
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
Handmade ToneBender mkII clone.
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Lots of love for the small clone. <333

Nano stone is good too.

Holy grail ive never had a problem with, does what it says on the tin.

Octave multiplexer is a wonderfull fat analog-y synth sounding pedal. Theres a bit of a volume drop, but i figure thats from the bass.

I had a russian black muff that was pretty terribly constructed, i broke some of the wires while attempting to mod it, fried it and it never worked since. Sounded good when it did work though. If a bit noisey.

Fortunately the USA made stuff is wayyy better construction.

I think generally theyre better than their boss equivilants, very fairly priced, theres few you can go wrong with. Not the best pedals in the world, but im a huge fan of EHX and their crazy shenanigans.
I have a double muff i bought when i decided to buy a pedal on impulse. Its quite fun. Not really a full on muff though but i do quite dig it.
EHX is probably one of, if not the, best non-boutique pedal company IMO. I could totally rock an all EH board. Some of them like their own power supply, and sometimes they can be a bit noisy, but I've really enjoyed pretty much everything I've used by them. Really fun, wacky stuff. I'd really like to get my hands on a Ring Thing, HOG, and Flanger Hoax
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
they are very quality. generally very simple. going for the low tech, mostly analog, vintage tyle sounds however crazy pedals do create some super weird effects.

qulity built definitely. they just generally have thier own unique tone and vibe. There are certain reasnos i go for EHX. i would definitely not put just EHX on my board, but for some things they shine.

yes te boss metal zone is a waste of money. yes the english muffin is amazing.