So the amp I currently have is a Peavey Vypyr 60w tube... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc (really overkill for what I need, but whatever.)

Pretty much I'm looking to upgrade my amplifier since everyone says it's the best way to improve tone. I have $1000 to spend and I am looking for some suggestions on what to pickup. (amp, amp/pedals, etc.)

My electric is a 2010 Fender American Standard Strat, and I pretty much play everything except metal. (Nirvana and a tiny bit of metallica is as heavy as I ever go.)

I only really play in my house, don't plan on playing live any time soon but it would be nice to have the ability to play in a band and not get drowned out.

Thanks in advance peeps!
Take advantage of the Vypyr you already own. Try out many different sounds.

The Vypyr Tube is a great amp sim, you should be able to figure out what tone you want from it, and then go out and buy the real deal.
Quote by W4RP1G
Take advantage of the Vypyr you already own. Try out many different sounds.

The Vypyr Tube is a great amp sim, you should be able to figure out what tone you want from it, and then go out and buy the real deal.

This, what are the tones you like best from the Vypyr Tube?

Also, no amp with a headphone jack is ever overkill for playing at home.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by thfc1799
So what I'm hearing is, forget the amp, buy another guitar!

No, not at all what I'm saying. Your guitar probably outclasses your amp. But the Vypyr tube is pretty decent, and you should enjoy it, learn what you need from an amp as you play it, then get the amp that suits you. It sounds like you just want to buy something, and I don't blame you, but buying an amp should be taken into great consideration, especially when your current amp is decent enough to get by until you know what you want.

And once you know what you want, you can always try to trade for it with someone on craigslist or something.
you need to decide what sounds you want that your current amp isn't giving you. tough to recommend an amp based on "well i play everything except most metal".
the only real amp i would recommend under $1000 that is a killer amp is the Egnater Renegade. i owned one for a while. great amp. very flexible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the only real amp i would recommend under $1000 that is a killer amp is the Egnater Renegade. i owned one for a while. great amp. very flexible.

+1 I love my Renagade.
Orange dual terror and a cheap 1x12
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Dmaj7
Ac30

+1
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
^ that and it never fails tbat someone suggests that and somebody else +1s it.

But its a good suggestion most of the time so it makes since.
Quote by Jaredmkl
Orange dual terror and a cheap 1x12

i like my Dual Terror a ton, its probably my quietist amp so i use it at night all the time, and it doesn't bug anybody who is sleeping in the house.

however IMO and from my experiencee, the Fat channel doesn't get along too well with single coils.

i know that the single tone knobs are not appealing. but amazingly they work extrememly well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/