i currently have a peavey 6505+ but im being offered a carvin v3 and a 3120 plus cash for a trade. from what i heard the carvin is extremely versatile and can get great tones and the 3120 is basically a xxx which i like the tone of also but i would be interested in getting some other opinions on which one would be a better choice for the trade
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
They're both really versatile.

Check out this website: www.netmusicians.org , type in 'peavey 3120', listen to some clips, then do the same with 'carvin v3', it'll be really helpful to get an idea of which tone will suit you better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
They're both really versatile.

Check out this website: www.netmusicians.org , type in 'peavey 3120', listen to some clips, then do the same with 'carvin v3', it'll be really helpful to get an idea of which tone will suit you better.

The trade seems pretty fair, as long as it is the sound you are after. Raijouta is right, listen to the clips and see what you like.
WTLTL 2011
Seems more than fair - especially if you like the 3120. They are bit too bright for me and ship with EL34s (which I do like). What power tubes does the V3 have? In other words, they may end up sounding a lot like each other. Never played a V3 so. Is your 6505+ head new?

Also, you need a new cab more than a new amp me thinks
What type of music do you play and what do you like and not like about the 6505+. Basically the Carvin is more veratile and to me has a bit better cleans although both amps have good cleans to me. I own the V3 now and before it I owned a 3120 which was "new" (floor model) and broke down on me after 3 weeks though I haven't heard of this being a problem so I guess I got one of the few bad ones or someone ****ed with it while it was demoed. If you play almost exclusively high gain I would say 3120 cause its better at that but if you play alot of different types then maybe the Carvin.

Do be warned though that with so many options on the V3 it takes some time to get THE tone you want. Its not hard to get a good tone but takes some tweaking to perfect. The 3120 is kinda more "plug and play" but a bit less versatile.

Hope this helps, if not, I tried lol. If you have any specific questions about them feel free to ask.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
that would have been a great deal haha.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
that deal would be too good to be true lol and i play mostly metal but i like to play other things as well and the head is almost a year old but ive never played a show with it and there are no cosmetic flaws and there isn't really anything i dont like about it i just felt its time for a change and think it would be fun to play around with another amp for a while and thanks for the link ill deffinetely check it out
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Well you can't go wrong with either amp IMO they are both very good.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
the 3120 is pretty straightforward, gets really good bright metal sounds (as opposed to the dark voiced sounds the 6505+ gets) and gets better clean than the 6505+ imo. the carvin on the other hand, does everything pretty damn well, and is pretty fun to tweak. i would definitely go for the v3 if i were you
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
ya i heard that v3's are amazing to tweak with and can basically pull off any tone which is why im so torn (garry holt has one of my favorite metal tones)and the 3120 is basically a xxx (even though he uses engl now) and i tried netmusician and they have a few 3120 sounds to check out but no v3
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
I was in the same situation as you when I sold my 5150. I loved my 5150 but just wanted something different and more versatile. The V3 and 3120 were my main two options, I played both of them quite a few times. The Carvin is the way to go. The V3 does all styles well, while the 3120 does a few well but many mediocre. Just my opinion tho.
Go to the carvin website then click on "community" or however its spelled lol and it will take you to the carvin forums. There are alot of users there who have put up sound clips. There is also alot of info on there so that might help you decide
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Carvin bbs is what it's called. Look for bundy, he is pretty much the guru on V3's. Look for his videos as they show what a V3 can sound like when really properly tweaked.
nice ill look him up is he on youtube as well?
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
^I think so but don't have a clue what his username is on there.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The Carvin also has Midi, so that may be something to consider depending if you eventually want to have a rack set up. Not that you couldn't without midi but from everything I've looked into and want, it seems like midi would make things so much easier.
ya the midi is definitely a plus a lot of the carvin videos on youtube get deep into that and thanks for all your opinions and help after the research ive been doing and sound tests of both amps ive listened to i decided im going to go with the carvin v3 while i like the tone of the 3120 i like the fact that i could have the carvin v3 for years and never get bored with it and i found bundy and he had tons of great info thanks for the reference!
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
the post says AND meaning both.

and if you didnt take that i would stalk you just to b*tch slap you in person.
well then let me correct my grammar and say or i had the option to choose one of the two and im going to go with the carvin
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
The Carvin is a great amp but IMO it still can't touch a 6505 for metal. It is way more vesatile but the heavy sound of the 3210 or v3 arn't really in the same realm as the peavey.
/rig
Also when I get my line 6 M13 Im going to be running it in latch scene mode so I can set up 12 patches with any four effects + it will send midi program changes for boost and channel switching to the V3 as well as smart loop info so if I run a delay in the other loop I can set the mix on the V3 and choose for each patch if I want it in the signal. Also Ill be running a wah and boost seperate so those effects won't take up my 4 on the V3 creating more sounds than I need live. Interesting feature. + with a couple stomps you can change any or all of the four effects for a given scene so you could actually have many more than 12 sounds at the touch of a button.

Just something to think about as you don't really have to setup a rack to control it with midi.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
^^The 3120 is a peavey and yeah if you want the same sound and thousands of other people then a 6505 is the way to go. And the 3120 and V3 can get as heavy as most people run the 6505 plus clean which the 6505 can't do well at all.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^^The 3120 is a peavey and yeah if you want the same sound and thousands of other people then a 6505 is the way to go. And the 3120 and V3 can get as heavy as most people run the 6505 plus clean which the 6505 can't do well at all.

agreed i love my 6505+ it was my first tube amp and ive had a lot of fun playing with it but everyone has it and i want to set myself apart plus mark heylmun from suicide silence used a v3 for awhile and they have a seriously heavy tone so i know the v3 is capable of being brutal and ya i saw a video where a guy was showing how to assign the smart loops on the v3 so changing the channel with turn on and off certain effects it was pretty cool and i cant wait to play around with it
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Also nick from Winds Of Plague was using a V3 when I saw them live and it sound better live than the 6505 the other guitarist was using.

Im not saying a V3 sounds better than a 6505 (even though it does to me on personal preference) but that the way they had them eq'd live the V3 sounded and cut through better.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
ya i saw he was using the v3 for a while too but i wasnt sure if anyone else on this thread listened to them lol
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Well i just played the 3120 my buddy just got, and he likes alot of high end so he had it eqd that way but in general it has a bit less low end and more high end than my 6534+, but its really tight and sounds pretty damn good. But the V3 i cheaper and to mee just seems a bit better feature wise
Im more than happy to trade you my V3 for your Splawn.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Now I've got V3 GAS big time

same here. REALLY BAD V3 GAS and the damn factory is right up the highway from me!

my 2 cents: the V3 is better than the 3120 (IMO)due to the smart loops. it can cut on the pedal dance if you use a bunch of crap like i do. both use el34s so its just a preference call on the amp but the v3 wins in my book.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
ya v3 seems like its way more bang for your buck
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412