Im considering upgrading my cpu/mobo/ram and upgrading from win xp 32 to xp 64. My main question is this "will i have to reinstall my plugins/programs?"
I am just now beginning to understand pc's but from what I've gathered, 64 bit OS's are backwards compatible with non 64 bit programs. I have been running Win 7 64bit for a long while now and I have never run into trouble with 32 bit programs.
I may be a bit 'tarded when it comes to pc's though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, if you're upgrading to xp64, why not just upgrade to 7 64bit?
If you do a clean install, (which is highly recommended), you will need to reinstall everything on the main C drive.
Upgrading in place will just upgrade the OS and most applications and such should be fine.....assuming they are able to run in a 64bit OS.

Also consider moving up to Windows 7 64bit, I've been using it from the early days and think it's even better than XP at this point....sure runs faster than it on older machines...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
Im considering upgrading my cpu/mobo/ram and upgrading from win xp 32 to xp 64. My main question is this "will i have to reinstall my plugins/programs?"

I JUST did this back in June. The answer is simple: YES and NO

If you format your main drive and install x64 on there, then yes you will need to reinstall everything.

If you are installing x64 on another partition that will not affect the partition that your DAW and plugins are installed on, they will work perfectly fine. x64 is very backwards compatible with x86 (32). Just make sure that you point the DAW to the plugins folder should anything happen.

When I upgraded my system, I took out my old HDDs and put in a SDD on which I installed x64. I then put my HDDs back in and ran everything perfectly fine.

Ignore registry issues- I have had HDDs with programs that I installed back on Windows 95 and they start up just fine in 98, XP, Vista, and 7. I've had to run a few in DOSBox emulator, but personally I believe that registry issues are BS.

However, depending on how your programs are "validated," you may end up losing "registered" status. Some programs have .dlls that get modified when the program is validated through registration with a serial, key, or online validation. Others modify the .exe and others pop a little file somewhere on the C: drive. If any of your programs put files on C:, you may have to re-register them. It's no big deal though.
Last edited by CV334 at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by CV334
I JUST did this back in June. The answer is simple: YES and NO

If you format your main drive and install x64 on there, then yes you will need to reinstall everything.

If you are installing x64 on another partition that will not affect the partition that your DAW and plugins are installed on, they will work perfectly fine. x64 is very backwards compatible with x86 (32). Just make sure that you point the DAW to the plugins folder should anything happen.

When I upgraded my system, I took out my old HDDs and put in a SDD on which I installed x64. I then put my HDDs back in and ran everything perfectly fine.

Ignore registry issues- I have had HDDs with programs that I installed back on Windows 95 and they start up just fine in 98, XP, Vista, and 7. I've had to run a few in DOSBox emulator, but personally I believe that registry issues are BS.

However, depending on how your programs are "validated," you may end up losing "registered" status. Some programs have .dlls that get modified when the program is validated through registration with a serial, key, or online validation. Others modify the .exe and others pop a little file somewhere on the C: drive. If any of your programs put files on C:, you may have to re-register them. It's no big deal though.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I figured it was something like this. A couple of my plugins only allow a certain number of installs before i have to call the vendor for another install key which can be a real pain. As it is im pretty happy with my rig but i have a tendency to be hard on my cpu and ram
everything should automatically bridge. <3 64 bit!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com