Just have the impression that all Taks. esp. dreds. should use med. gauge strings. I have a the Tak EF36SC-i find that med. gauge strings are a little painful on my fingers-my wife complains about it as well-could i shift to light gauge and will it affect intonation in any way?? thanks for any info. on this.
taks maybe. the tak dreads seem to have less presence and volume than other brands i've played. i believe takamines ship with lights, as do most guitars, so unless you changed something, intonation should be fine.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
why do they HAVE to use medioums?

if you want you could use light strings on your guitar you might have to adjust the guitar a bit but no harm can come of it

i do prefer medium and heavy strings on my acoustic guitars though
Quote by patticake
taks maybe. the tak dreads seem to have less presence and volume than other brands i've played. i believe takamines ship with lights, as do most guitars, so unless you changed something, intonation should be fine.
Ibanez seems to fall victim to this as well, although mine are AEL (Jumbo) bodies, not dreds. It's the combination of cutaway, onboard electronics, polyurethane finish and yes, some plywood that damps the output somewhat.

Quote by smokeynichol
Just have the impression that all Taks. esp. dreds. should use med. gauge strings. I have a the Tak EF36SC-i find that med. gauge strings are a little painful on my fingers-my wife complains about it as well-could i shift to light gauge and will it affect intonation in any way?? thanks for any info. on this.
When I think of truly, "light gauge" acoustic strings, I think of 0.10 to 0.47 sets, which would be equivalent to a "regular" electric string set. They mostly lack bass, are tinny, and sound like s*** in general. These for example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp15-coated-phosphor-bronze-extra-light-acoustic-guitar-strings/104338000000000

My question for the you is, "exactly how light are we talking"? Ibanez also ships with "light" strings, this exact set: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp16-coated-phosphor-bronze-light-acoustic-guitar-strings/104340000000000

I would try not to go lighter that these, as you'll kill the sound. Acoustic guitars benefit from high mass, high tension strings, which provide high energy output for solid bass and overall output.

Medium and heavy gauge strings are for heavy strumming and strong arms. That said, steel string acoustics are going to hurt you when you play them, best buck up and work through it.

Forcing the guitar to be easier to play, by virtue of extreme lowering of the action, and excessively light strings, will net you a guitar that is easy to play, but I seriously doubt if you'll be entirely happy with the sound.

Even Taylor Swift plays a steel strung jumbo. I'm trying to motivate you here, via embarrassment.

If you intend on amplifying the guitar, an extra light string set may be usable, but probably would still lack some control in the bass.

For a woman, a smaller body is an alternative solution. Dreds push a lot more energy back though the strings due to their great volume, and are harder to hold fretted because of that. Then there's that last resort, "silk and steel" strings, which you'll find yourself changing every other day, (or thereabouts).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 12, 2011,
but 10's aren't lights - they're extra lights. lights are usually 12's, although i think 11's are lights for dean markleys.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
but 10's aren't lights - they're extra lights. lights are usually 12's, although i think 11's are lights for dean markleys.
Agreed! I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as the OP as to what he was considering light strings.

If a guitar has shipped with what we both agree are actual light gauge strings, (.12 to .53), then if we're talking about going to a lighter gauge, extra light might be where we wind up, (pun intended). Better to describe the different sets numerically for the sake of clarity.

Here's what D'Addario calls "custom light set", (.11 to .52) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp26-coated-phosphor-bronze-custom-light-acoustic-guitar-strings/104339000000000

True "medium gauge" acoustic strings such as these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp17-coated-phosphor-bronze-medium-acoustic-guitar-strings/104341000000000 are a real hand full. (Admittedly a bad pun, but intended nonetheless).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 12, 2011,