Hi im wanting to get a new laptop primarily for recording and composition. I want to be able to record a full band with it. i also need an audio interface preferabbly one packaged with recording software. Looking to spend around about 400-600 uk pounds on the laptop and AI. So yea any advice

thanks in advance
any laptop will do,

you just need an interface and a mixer..
the whole band goes to the mixer and out to the interface (optionally also monitor speakers or a PA)

I have a vaio e series, It has served well..

I'll recomend you look for any laptop that has USB 3.0 since it's way faster than 2.0
3gbps > 480 mbps
Opus Pocus =]
Unfortunately not any laptop will do... or else I'd use this one I'm typing on for recording!

I'd say the more 'standard' (read: minimal) specs for a new recording computer these days would be at least a 3.0+ ghz dual core processor, 4G RAM, a 7200 RPM HDD (doesn't have to be huge, backups and sample libraries can go on an external). The more plugins you plan to use, you may need more RAM or processing power, but that's a pretty solid starting point.

As for the interface, you'll need something with at least 8 inputs if you're going to be recording a drum kit.
Last edited by Odirunn at Sep 12, 2011,
my laptop has exactly those specs..

my main DAW is cubase, I have two usb interfaces,
berhinger guitar link (good for straightforward recording)
and berhinger U-Control, its stereo in/out.. has a monitor jack and optical out
it can record CD quality with only about 10ms latency and effects applied to the signal (chorus, reverb, compression and delay)

the number of inputs depends on the mixer..

some mixers even have built-in interfaces with DSP effects
Opus Pocus =]
NOT just any laptop will do. You have to be concerned with DPC latency first and foremost. THere is a free tool for checking it. Get it. It will save your life. Everyone knows lots of ram and a good cpu are beneficial but there are a lot of factors here.

What kind of interface are you running?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Sorry not had internet access, im pretty much not running anything studio or recording wise atm as my pc is slowiy dying so im looking to start making a new studio setup. Still confused on what wuld be a good laptop, any brands youd recommend??
I recommend HP business models, pretty much anything ASUS. Macs are about 500% overpriced for what you get but they work great.

Stay away from any of the "custom audio" computer companies. total smoke and mirrors

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
lenovo make great laptops and make sure u stay away from dell
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I agree. Lenovo do make good machines. I also agree, stay away from Dell.

HP Business Models
ASUS
Lenovo
Sony Vaio