Poll: Real or Fake
Poll Options
View poll results: Real or Fake
Real
5 13%
Fake
34 87%
Voters: 39.
Inspired by this Cracked.com article: http://www.cracked.com/article_19418_7-famous-unsolved-mysteries-science-solved-years-ago.html

What do you guys think about the Shroud of Turin?

Although the above article gives some good reasons why it might be fake, some people still don't believe that and believe that the testing was not correctly done.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE, AND SHOULD NOT DELVE INTO, A RELIGION VS ATHEIST (ETC, ETC) DEBATE!!!

For me personally, I think it is a fake. Although I was raised Catholic and used to look at the Shroud as "proof," I am now atheist (you have your views, I have mine; I'm not trying to incite a riot here) and think that this is one big hoax.

Reason? The main thing that sticks out to me is the "image" of Jesus on the Shroud is the typical "Western-ized" view of Jesus: white male, long smooth brown hair, long smooth brown beard, blue eyes (I know we can't see the eyes here...).

Whereas it's logical to assume the actual Jesus, assuming he was an actual historic figure (which is another whole bag of worms), would look like an average Middle Easterner (is that PC?).

Anyway, just my $0.02.

What say you?
Last edited by jumi1174 at Sep 12, 2011,
I saw that Cracked article too. It was pretty interesting.

And honestly, I think it's a fake, but I also don't care much, so there you go.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Just read that article earlier today

If cracked says it's fake, it's fake
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I think i saw jesus in my mashed potatoes once.

Pretty sure the Shrouds fake.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by jumi1174

NOTE: THIS IS NOT INTENDED, AND SHOULD NOT DELVE, INTO A RELIGION VS ATHEIST (ETC, ETC) DEBATE!!!

What say you?

But it will. You know it will

I don't think it's fake, I just don't think it's Jesus.

And I don't think Jesus existed. Not even the personification of him, let alone the magic healer son of god etc.

Oh wait...

sorry
Quote by SkepsisMetal
But it will. You know it will

I don't think it's fake, I just don't think it's Jesus.

And I don't think Jesus existed. Not even the personification of him, let alone the magic healer son of god etc.

Oh wait...

sorry

Didn't the guy admit it was fake? And then they made an almost identical one in 2009? Which was also fake? So it's fake and there's no debate?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Alot of misguided Christians out there, its fake....makes the rest of us christians look bad
You can say "This is not a religion debate!" all you want in the thread/thread title, but at the end of the day, we all know what this is.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
What is the point of asking what people think? The thing was proven to be a fake, and that's it. Anyone who says it isn't fake is wrong, it's not a matter of opinion.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
this whole thread seems like a thinly veiled attempt to start a religion argument.
I'm only asking the question because quite a few people who commented on the Cracked article seem to think that the thing is real beyond a reasonable doubt and that the methods used to test it were not conducted correctly.

Also, am I the only one that thinks a religious discussion can remain civil without resulting to a "no i'm right", "no I'm right" attitude...?
Quote by troyofyort
Alot of misguided Christians out there, its fake....makes the rest of us christians look bad

Quote by troyofyort
Alot of misguided Christians out there

Quote by troyofyort
misguided Christians

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

How the hell does it suggest Jesus was white and had brown hair?

But even if this was a real burial cloth from the first century, there would never be a way to confidently proclaim that it belonged to Jesus Christ. The fascination with it is odd.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I vote its real, as in its a real piece of cloth that covered a dude who might have been named Jesus or Je-sus depending on how you look at it. Now I do not believe this dude was magical or the son of some omnipotent being, No. Do I judge others for there belief's, nope, and I would hope they would do the same for myself.

I am not an atheist as I believe if anyone is close to the truth its the Buddhist's and there teachings; however I know a lot of people that have used the advice of the bible and "god" or "jesus" to better there lives for themselves so I cant see it as a bad thing.

Now the people over at the godhatesfags church or w/e they call themselves are no different then extremist Muslims (you know the terrorist ones?) just following a different interpretation of a different religion. Such a touchy topic to talk about because 99% of the time you are sure to offend someone.

Oh and don't think the Muslims are the only ones, there is Syria and Israel which is Jews, Christians and Muslims. In Ireland you had the Catholics and and the Protestants going at it, no matter where you look religion has spawned war, fancy that something so helpful is really so violent and blood soaked. Such a touchy subject, hopefully I didn't offend anyone and if I did well suck it up buttercup its life.
Quote by ne14t
I vote its real, as in its a real piece of cloth that covered a dude who might have been named Jesus or Je-sus depending on how you look at it. Now I do not believe this dude was magical or the son of some omnipotent being, No. Do I judge others for there belief's, nope, and I would hope they would do the same for myself.

I am not an atheist as I believe if anyone is close to the truth its the Buddhist's and there teachings; however I know a lot of people that have used the advice of the bible and "god" or "jesus" to better there lives for themselves so I cant see it as a bad thing.

Now the people over at the godhatesfags church or w/e they call themselves are no different then extremist Muslims (you know the terrorist ones?) just following a different interpretation of a different religion. Such a touchy topic to talk about because 99% of the time you are sure to offend someone.

Oh and don't think the Muslims are the only ones, there is Syria and Israel which is Jews, Christians and Muslims. In Ireland you had the Catholics and and the Protestants going at it, no matter where you look religion has spawned war, fancy that something so helpful is really so violent and blood soaked. Such a touchy subject, hopefully I didn't offend anyone and if I did well suck it up buttercup its life.

Super Cool Tangent, Bro.
Shroud of Turin... I think my mage picked that up in my last DnD game.
ಠ_ಠ
All I know is that Elvis was reading a book about the Shroud of Turin when he died on the crapper.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I think it's fake. History channel had a bunch of shit about it airing one week, and they showed how easy it would be to fake or replicate. But I donno, doesn't matter to me either way
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
It's been carbon-dated by numerous universities as being made in the 1400s. That's proof enough.

Your point about it being a white jesus is a good one to.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn