So, me and some friends are playing an acid jazz version of Miles' 'So What', where I get to do a little solo. I've been doodling on D dorian, but since I'm not used to playing in the style, It's been kind of hard to come up with good ideas (there are, though). So I need reccommendations of licks, ideas, anything to cool up my playing and make it sound jazzier while still pleasing a school and parents audience.
█████████████████████████
http://www.jazztrumpetsolos.com/solo.asp?soloist=MilesDavis&solo=SoWhat

Find which notes Miles plays that give a heavy flavor and come up with some of your own ways to play with them. That transcription is in A dorian instead of D dorian, you'll have to transcribe it.

Or here is one in key:

http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/Jazz/Transcriptions/SoWhatMiles.pdf
Last edited by Vlasco at Sep 12, 2011,
Use of lower chromatic neighbor and chromaticisms, use some seventh arpeggios, first just follow the chord changes then try using some diatonic substitutions. Using chord scale thinking rather than key center could also lead to some new sounds. good luck!!
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by Jman09
Use of lower chromatic neighbor and chromaticisms, use some seventh arpeggios, first just follow the chord changes then try using some diatonic substitutions. Using chord scale thinking rather than key center could also lead to some new sounds. good luck!!

which arpeggios would fit?
exactly what brainpolice said Dmin7 and Ebmin7. Over dmin7 also try Fmaj7 and Amin7 and over Ebmin7 try Gbmaj7 or Bbmin7. Also dont forget about the blues scale.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Try superimposing pentatonics.

So over a Dm7 you can play the D minor (and blues) pentatonic, the E minor pentatonic (indeed using the b5 blues note (of E) and sliding it up to the 5 when superimposing this scale works really well as you are emphasising the major 6 (of D) dorian sound), and you can also use the A minor pentatonic, which can emphasise the 9th of D (again try sliding the blues note up to the fifth). Use the same idea over over Eb by using the minor pentatonic scale a tone higher and a fifth higher.

In your standard 11th fret D Dorian fingering will find these pentatonic scales in easy fingerings by omitting certain notes of the full scale. You could look at using these pentatonics as if they were extended arpeggios, but I wouldnt know what to name them.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by MuffinBrain
which arpeggios would fit?

Diatonic arpeggios that are built off of the chord tones. So D F A and C.

Dm7, Fmaj7, Am7 and C maj7 arpeggios respectively. The higher the chord tone you build off, the higher the extension you will create, i.e Cmaj7 will yield the 13th.

Transpose up a m2 to accommodate the Ebm7.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 13, 2011,
Do you have a backing track to practice on? I could send you one if you need.
Quote by Hydra150
Do you have a backing track to practice on? I could send you one if you need.

I would love that.
PM me your email adress and Ill use yousendit.com to send you the file. Ill also upload it onto my profile MP3s on this site, dont know if you can download it from there though. I dont know much about acid jazz, I hope this will be of some help.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Sep 19, 2011,
Man, that backing track fits the style perfectly... thanks! I'll PM you my email.