Poll: why was the 90's so cynical?
Poll Options
View poll results: why was the 90's so cynical?
Because that generation had a lot of sh*t they had to deal with
6 6%
Yeah the 90's didn't seem all that bad. don't know why it was so cynical
14 14%
Generation X was just a bunch of moody bastards
27 27%
I'd say it's more cynical now than it ever was
27 27%
Don't know what the hell you're babbling about
26 26%
Voters: 100.
Page 1 of 2
in the 90's angst and cynicism were in and this was reflected in music, film, and even fashion with the heroin-chic movement. but why? it seems like we live in much darker times now but there seems to be more optimism than there was in the 90's
Because the only good thing about the 90's were the cartoons and video games.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Grunge will do that.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Kids grew up in the eighties. Check it.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Probably because the 90s were the first decade in a long time where we didn't have any really serious problems to worry about. The economy was doing fairly well, there weren't any major military conflicts (minus Iraq right at the start), and the Cold War was finally over.

So people decided to get angsty about everything else.
Well I had a tit in my mouth for the late 90's, but also I was born in the late 90's so that was probably fairly common.
I felt like people seemed more positive for the most part during the 90's. I feel like, at least in America, the whole outlook of society has taken a nose dive since 09/11. The 90's had good music for the most part (just wish the 90's would been more open to good musicianship) and were a lot of fun for me.
Quote by killjoy_bentley
in the 90's angst and cynicism were in and this was reflected in music, film, and even fashion with the heroin-chic movement. but why? it seems like we live in much darker times now but there seems to be more optimism than there was in the 90's

The real answer is because Kurt cobain created this whole movement and when he died, it died.

And yes I'm serious.

Because they had to wear that shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Because you feel the need to bump a thread about cynicism. The 90s were awesome. No doubt.
I'm not even sure they were that unhappy

Quote by cornmancer
Because the 80s ****ing sucked.

No.

Look at the decades drug of choice, it explains alot.

70s= Pot & LSD = happy go lucky hippies etc
80s= Cocaine = Hyper over the top mayhem etc
90s = Heroin = Depressed slow dark etc

I should do a PhD on this shit
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
As a teen in the 90s I didn't think it was that cynical. Not nearly as cynical as things are now. Perhaps it was though, and I was just an ignorant teen. I mean come on I had an SNES and between my friends and I, like every awesome game ever. How could we be cynical then?

I do seem to remember lots of depressed proto-emo kids (we called em goths back then) wearing nirvana, smashing pumpkins/zero, and nin shirts with fishnet stockings and surplus combat boots. My group of friends gave them a difficult time, heh.
The 90's were cynical?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by bradulator
*terrible, terrible clothing*

Agreed.

Quote by Weaponized
Cause BtBaM wasn't around.

Are you turning into GodOfCheesecake? I swear... it seems like every time I see you post it's something about BTBAM.
The 90's wanted to be a complete 180 of the 80's, because after a decade of all that happened, people wanted something new. Grunge didn't kill hair metal's popularity. Hair metal killed itself. People were sick of it and every aesthetic property of it. Grunge, and later, nu-metal, were the exact opposite of 80's metal, so it appealed to a saturated market looking for something new. Also, the 80s was a dark time behind all the hair spray and glitter, those growing up in that time wanted to express themselves to show this, and it appealed to everyone else.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Jon777
Agreed.

Are you turning into GodOfCheesecake? I swear... it seems like every time I see you post it's something about BTBAM.

I don't know any better
I listen to a bunch of 90's alt bands, for the most part the music is very depressing, other than that, I wouldn't call it cynical
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I loved the 90's. Best years of my life. Well, and now. Life is awesome post-highschool.

We're talking being a kid. teen. and college life. Of course our live's have been awesome so far.

edit : I was born in '91
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I loved the 90's. Best years of my life. Well, and now. Life is awesome post-highschool.

Yeah, being in elementary school and coming home and playing on the SNES and watching Rugrats is much easier than worrying about trying to make it in college.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm eagerly waiting for this time of optimism to pass.

Seriously, I am. I can't fucking stand it. I wish I was born earlier, if only because my jaded cynicism would be better appreciated twenty years ago than it is now.

Quote by BlackVoid
As a teen in the 90s I didn't think it was that cynical. Not nearly as cynical as things are now. Perhaps it was though, and I was just an ignorant teen. I mean come on I had an SNES and between my friends and I, like every awesome game ever. How could we be cynical then?

I do seem to remember lots of depressed proto-emo kids (we called em goths back then) wearing nirvana, smashing pumpkins/zero, and nin shirts with fishnet stockings and surplus combat boots. My group of friends gave them a difficult time, heh.

Emo was around in the '90s. In fact, that's when it really came together as a genre.

Also, wearing Nirvana, Pumpkins, and NIN shirts =/= being a goth. Goth also has nothing to do with emo whatsoever musically. The only thing they have in common is the fact that you can trace them both back to punk, but you can do the same for a very very large amount of rock that came out after '76, so it's practically not even worth bringing up.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
We're talking being a kid. teen. and college life. Of course our live's have been awesome so far.

edit : I was born in '91

So, this is a thread for people born in, like, '83 or something? Because I was born in '92, but I remember a huge chunk of the 90's, culture and all.

Yeah, being in elementary school and coming home and playing on the SNES and watching Rugrats is much easier than worrying about trying to make it in college.

Eh, I like Uni. Unlike school, I get paid to attend (and then have to pay off a debt...) and it's actually something I enjoy doing.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

Eh, I like Uni. Unlike school, I get paid to attend (and then have to pay off a debt...) and it's actually something I enjoy doing.

I have no problem with college, though I'd much rather just sit around at home playing SNES and watching Nicktoons all day.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
So, this is a thread for people born in, like, '83 or something? Because I was born in '92, but I remember a huge chunk of the 90's, culture and all.

No what I was trying to say was of course they where the "best years of your life" we where children ; everything is great.
Quote by bradulator

True.

OT: I've got no idea what you're talking about. I'm not an anthropologist so...

Quote by Holy Katana
Emo was around in the '90s. In fact, that's when it really came together as a genre.Also, wearing Nirvana, Pumpkins, and NIN shirts =/= being a goth. Goth also has nothing to do with emo whatsoever musically. The only thing they have in common is the fact that you can trace them both back to punk, but you can do the same for a very very large amount of rock that came out after '76, so it's practically not even worth bringing up.

Emo's been around since feeling in music has been around, cause you know that's what it stands for, "Emotional".

OT: I will agree with Nirvana_RATM2. Not even all the songs of the mainstream grunge bands' songs were cynical.
Quote by cyco_bob56
Emo's been around since feeling in music has been around, cause you know that's what it stands for, "Emotional".

OT: I will agree with Nirvana_RATM2. Not even all the songs of the mainstream grunge bands' songs were cynical.

You forgot the "hardcore" part. Emo is a specific type of post-hardcore. Although it's less united by the sound of it and more the lyrical themes (breakups, unrequited love, depression, etc.).
Cynicism tends to come in waves, and upwards wave of optimism is generaly followed by a downwards wave of cynisism. The 80s were in general optimistic, so it's no surprise to find that the 90s were cynical.

Also, the 90s were nowhere near as cynical as the 70s.
Well, I remember little of the 90s and none of the 70s (being 20 years before I was born and all) but I wouldn't say the 90s were less cynical, it was just cynicism of a different kind.

Vietnam and Watergate strengthened distrust of the government, and shattered a lot of American's views about their own country.

The cynicism of the 90s was less political, more personal. It was more about loneliness, boredom, and generally being a poor teenager with few prospects for the future (that's at least what they felt like). However, the 90s cynicism was mostly manufactured by the "alternative" idea that being cynical and depressed was cool IMO.
Page 1 of 2