I got an Rg2ex2 from my local guitar center and was thinking about changing the bridge (and eventually the neck) pickup to emg-hzs
the thing is that my guitar has a curious pickup switch , instead of a three way that would be the regular for a two pickup guitar, mine has a five way switch that turns the pickups into two different ways of single coils as far as i know
will i have to do anything different when it comes to changing the pickup? (and by the way, is the hz4 a good sounding pickup or do you recommend something else?)
thanks

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
well ill always suggest duncan blackouts for anything metal. or some really powerful dimarzios
I agree with the blackouts, or traditional emg 81/85. Those are both active pickups obviously, but they are great for metal and heavy rock. I use blackouts and the clean sound is nice and warm as well. EMG all around though makes great pickups, listen to sound samples of any pickup youre considering if you can, to get a feel of which pickup will be closest to the sound you want to acheive
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
I'd stay away from HZs. If you want an active sound, either get actives or Dimarzio D'Activators.
HZs are shit. They won't be an upgrade from your stock pickups. I know, I've done it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I threw some Dimarzios into my RG, and they work pretty well for metal. I'd imagine some D-Activators would be even better.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
guys the wiring was the main question...
also i want to avoid actives...

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
That guitar is wired for actives isnt it?
If so you are gonna have a rough time changing just one out to a passive.
Quote by DimebagZappa
That guitar is wired for actives isnt it?
If so you are gonna have a rough time changing just one out to a passive.

It isnt... its a 300 dll, although it is not specified, im pretty sure they are passive

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Yeah be wary about going from a 5 way switch and coil tap-able pickups to actives or anything that can't be split. You may want to just go ahead and replace the switch with a 3 way. I had the passives on my RG swapped for blackouts, and the blackouts are great btw, but the 5 way switch has been crudely turned into a 3 switch and sometimes it cuts out annoyingly if I move the switch slightly. I should really fix that.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by HectorBznRg
guys the wiring was the main question...
also i want to avoid actives...

Yeah, but you're going to waste your money on HZs, they aren't worth it. Try to get some better quality pickups.

As for the switch question, you can use it as a 3 way, but it will have dead spots in either position 1 and 2 or 4 and 5, depending on your preference. Unless you are able to keep with your current wiring.
D Activator X's. Both neck and Bridge. Trust me, you will love them. If you would like, I can upload a sound sample of before and after on my RG3EXFM1. The originals were the Ibanez V7&V8 set.
Quote by LostKeys
D Activator X's. Both neck and Bridge. Trust me, you will love them. If you would like, I can upload a sound sample of before and after on my RG3EXFM1. The originals were the Ibanez V7&V8 set.

Did yours have the five-way switching?

This is depressing, i actually like position two (two single coils) for blues

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg
Did yours have the five-way switching?

This is depressing, i actually like position two (two single coils) for blues

Yes sir. Uhm, for some reason I got the hint that you were a metal player or something, but yeah I still use the split coils, and sounds great for blues.
Quote by LostKeys
Yes sir. Uhm, for some reason I got the hint that you were a metal player or something, but yeah I still use the split coils, and sounds great for blues.

I am , but i got the blues on me sometimes ... great! thanks! you have those clips btw?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg
I am , but i got the blues on me sometimes ... great! thanks! you have those clips btw?

Yeah! I can possibly record some tomorrow. Just keep checking my profile this week for 'em.