So I was watching the movie "Shallow Hal" the other day (Comedy Central has been airing it) and it got me thinking. I don't know if this has been brought up, but I know the whole point of the movie is the whole "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing and I'm sure many have thought of this, but isn't the base for the movie contradicted by the fact that they use outer beauty to portray inner beauty and "unattractiveness" to portray "unclean" personalities?

On that note, has anybody ever been extremely attracted to a person's personality but cast aside any thought of dating them because they weren't attractive or your "type", despite getting along with them well?
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
So I was watching the movie "Shallow Hal" the other day (Comedy Central has been airing it) and it got me thinking. I don't know if this has been brought up, but I know the whole point of the movie is the whole "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing and I'm sure many have thought of this, but isn't the base for the movie contradicted by the fact that they use outer beauty to portray inner beauty and "unattractiveness" to portray "unclean" personalities?

A contradiction in a movie? Impossible.
Check out my band Disturbed
No in the end he loves Rosemary for who she is, not what she looks like...

I don't know how that could have been more clear.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
On that note, has anybody ever been extremely attracted to a person's personality but cast aside any thought of dating them because they weren't attractive or your "type", despite getting along with them well?

Yeah. Bitch shouldn't have been so fat.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
If you meet someone who is cool to hang out with but you are not atracted to them they are called friends....duh....it seems people forget you can be friends with the oposite sex......

atraction + fun to be around = relationship

no atraction + fun to be around = friends.
I haz gotten gud
"Attracted to their personality"? You mean you want to be friends with them?

No, that's clearly too fucking far fetched

On another note, looks aren't everything, but you can't wank over a personality
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
"Attracted to their personality"? You mean you want to be friends with them?

No, that's clearly too fucking far fetched

On another note, looks aren't everything, but you can't wank over a personality

I don't know, some people here are just...out there....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX

No.

As Ron White said "You can't fix stupid."
Its not contradictory, its completely consistent with Hal's psychology. He needs a superficial means of seeing the "inner beauty" in Rosemary in order to change his perspective. So the guy makes him see personality in a physical representation.
Does he mean that they portrayed a good personality as a hoy body, therefore meaning Hal was shallow because he picked the 'hotter' personality? They're still objectifying looks in the film, but its just changed to personality.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
If you like spending time with them then you can develop a physical attraction later.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by AeroRocker
No in the end he loves Rosemary for who she is, not what she looks like...

I don't know how that could have been more clear.

The point he is making is actually a good one.
The point they are making in the movie is that looks are not important, only personality is.

So by making Hal think of inner beauty as outside beauty it is ironically painting outside beauty as a thing to be appreciated over ugliness.
Quote by Casketcreep
The point they are making in the movie is that looks are not important, only personality is.

So by making Hal think of inner beauty as outside beauty it is ironically painting outside beauty as a thing to be appreciated over ugliness.

But eventually outside beauty fades and he loves inner beauty...no?
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
He probably got with her because they were both chubsters and had their own gravitational pull
Quote by AeroRocker
But eventually outside beauty fades and he loves inner beauty...no?

The point is moot now anyway, someone had already prooved me wrong before I said it. It's to do with Hals personality and what he was personally attracted to.
Quote by Casketcreep

The dude made him see everyones inner beauty as outside beauty. It was supposed to show how at the beginning of the film he goes for looks, but at the end he realizes that it's the inner beauty. That's what I got from it anyways.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
You mean..the...friend zone? *shudders*
**** that noise.

No but srs, that is what friends tend to be. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem admitting that a few of my friends are pretty attractive. It just gets to a point when you wouldn't bone them.
I've ended up in relationships with people who I was attracted to, but really didn't like though. Worst. Idea. Ever.
Women don't have personalities, that's a lie perpetrated by the leftist media to try to fool honest hardworking Americans into giving women equal social status that men enjoy.

The fact of the matter is they're little more than walking incubators.
To the people saying it's consistent with Hal's psyche, that's not the bigger picture. The message of the movie is that WE should judge by personality and not by looks, yet they use a physically attractive actress to represent the good personality. That's the contradiction.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
To the people saying it's consistent with Hal's psyche, that's not the bigger picture. The message of the movie is that WE should judge by personality and not by looks, yet they use a physically attractive actress to represent the good personality. That's the contradiction.

And now we wait as the half of the thread that didn't understand OP explain the basic premise of the movie to you in a condescending way.

"oh no dude you've got it wrong, it's about inner bueaty being switched with outer beauty." etc.

I hate the levels of stupidity on this forum sometimes.

Edit-
For the record I do think it can be argued that it is a product of Hal and can be blamed solely on him. After all, it's called Shallow Hal, he is not protrayed as a moral compass for the rest of us. He is a shallow character who was written to be that way and to value physical good looks over personality.
Just because it can be seen represent everyones views on beauty doesn't make the entire movie a contradiction.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Sep 12, 2011,
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX

Yeah, I definitely have done that. I talked to this one girl every day and we got along great and really her personality was my type. But she was just not physically attractive to me in the slightest, and for two people to be together that attraction has to be there.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by ApatheticMe
If you meet someone who is cool to hang out with but you are not atracted to them they are called friends....duh....it seems people forget you can be friends with the oposite sex......

atraction + fun to be around = relationship

no atraction + fun to be around = friends.

This.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Nope to be honest I've never had that happen, most of the people I'm friends with are pretty attractive anyway. (Not cracking jokes or anything)