Not sure if a Viking thread exists yet. If not, here it is.

Discuss some of the best, the newest, and the modern leaders of Viking metal.
I like prog
Quorthon and Valfar are dead so there's not much going on with viking metal.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17

Still a great genre, though. Ensiferum are great and a new band that I have been obsessed with, King of Asgard, are also not bad.
Quote by romencer17

This and a half.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
there's a difference between melodic death metal with viking themed lyrics and viking metal.

Sumdeus
what bands do you consider viking metal besides Windir and Bathory?

Besides, Valfar considered the band "SognaMetal" ...unless that means viking

But I'd just consider those bands mixes of black and folk.

edit: oh you were talking to the guy below me, nvm.
Viking Metal: Bathory, Windir, among a select few.
Amon Amarth arent viking metal, theyre MDM with viking lyrics.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
besides Windir and Bathory, I would say some earlier Enslaved albums come close to being viking metal. I'm sure there's others out there, can't think of any off the top of my head.

Sumdeus
I have a friend who likes to throw around moonsorrow and stuff like that...but I'm still skeptical about it.
I think Viking Metal along with Pirate metal are stupid terms. Hell, why don't we call Legend (U.S.) Viking metal, they were quite a bit before Bathory and Windir.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I suppose. I just don't see the term "Viking Metal" having the same weight as something like Death, Black, or Doom. What exactly are the tenants of it?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
How about Scald? They're definitely a doom metal band with viking themed lyrics but they definitely give a STRONG viking feel, as much as say Bathory. I don't see how viking metal is even a subgenre, I think it's kind of ridiculous.
^I concur, but.

Edit: I was referring to Born headless. I still think that's such a tenuous definition though Severed.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Sep 12, 2011,
My love for viking/folk metal begins and ends with Graveland,Bathory and Drudkh. Stuff like Moonsorrow is'nt the worst though.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

I've always been of the opinion that lyrics and band image have little to do with their classification compared to their actual music. I don't think there's a Viking metal band that can't be easily classified as an existing genre.
Viking metal is folk metal about Vikings. The lyrical theme really means nothing because folk metal is defined by folk themes anyways, and given that Viking mythology and such is folklore.. Well, you get the point.

The only Viking metal bands I consider Viking metal are Bathory, Falkenbach and Mithotyn, just because I'm not sure where else to throw them.
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
Quote by jazar94
Viking metal is folk metal about Vikings. The lyrical theme really means nothing because folk metal is defined by folk themes anyways, and given that Viking mythology and such is folklore.. Well, you get the point.

Not this argument again. There's clearly a sound you associate with Viking metal, that sound isn't the same as folk metal. So by the very nature of genres being a collective descriptive word for bands with common traits, Viking metal is, or has become, a genre.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Not this argument again. There's clearly a sound you associate with Viking metal, that sound isn't the same as folk metal. So by the very nature of genres being a collective descriptive word for bands with common traits, Viking metal is, or has become, a genre.

That's what I feel. Even though viking metal has some overlapping qualities shared by folk metal, viking has its own qualities as well. That's why I didn't go to the folk metal thread here.
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.