hey guys, i'm just looking for some vst's or other programs that would be usable with reaper to learn how to use instruments that use midi and such, as well as to experiment with mixing and general recording, etc

any suggestions?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I'm slightly confused here... are you trying to learn about MIDI itself, or how to use programs that simply use MIDI as control data? I mean, if you're just using plug-ins you're not really learning anything about MIDI, other than it can be used to tell software and hardware what note to play, how hard and long to play it, and when to play it...

If you actually want to learn about MIDI, as in the actual data protocol, then using plug-ins will help you very little and you should do some research - if you like I could write a (very) basic guide based on what I remember from lectures a couple of years ago, but it's quite a complex subject when you get in-depth, if you are a beginner to music technology and/or computational code systems.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
sorry, i realized my topic was a bit vague, more of what i was looking for were vst's or plugins that are powered by midi that i can program and get some experience with plugins and mixing/recording at the same time

OR

someplace where i can learn similar knowledge, because the resource thread doesn't have much on plugins as i recall (plugins that would only require a computer i mean, no outside signal)

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Download Kontakt 5 Player from Native Instruments, with the bundle of sounds on the website. Those are about the best sounding ones you'll find for free, without getting into specialized sounds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The closest thing I can think of to what I think you want, is Ableton Live and Maxx For Live (a program hosted by Live, that is designed to work inside Live and design chains/plugins to run in Live, saved as 'patches'). Together, they're great if you like tinkering with things that are software-based, and would probably help you understand a lot about how certain chains of commands are used to create various effects but a) it might be a bit more advanced than what you're after, and b) it would cost you quite a bit to get them both.

If you're just after something you program with a piano roll, any drum programming plug-in will be suitable. On another note: while you're new to this (I think), try and get into the habit of calling plugins 'plugins' and not vst's Might be just a pet peeve, but I am getting to the brink of despair when I see people ask for _____ vst's, only to find they either don't realise that vst doesn't mean plugin, or worse still their DAW doesn't even accept .vst as a plug-in file format! I think I'm actually losing the plot with lack of sleep and annoyance at things like this
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Slap in a basic oscillator plugin (FL Studio uses 3xosc / Ableton Live uses Operator) and just start fiddling with the controls and knobs. Figure out what a sine wave sounds like, then a saw, then a square and so on. Then try adding a saw over another saw and just experiment. After that, mess around with the attack / decay / release. Maybe even mess around with an LFO. You'll learn so much just from experimenting like this. If you can figure out what all those things sound like / what it does, you can pretty much understand how all those vsti plugins work and take full advantage of them.