Title sounds weird but generally what I mean is, I need help trying to get a good sound when playing live. I play in my church with a pretty nice P.A. system. What's cool is, I don't need an amp as I could just plug my guitar and effects into a D/I box and be in the P.A. system. We also have this hearback system that eliminates the need for monitors on stage. So, basically we play with no amps and hear ourselves through earphones with our own little "monitor control devices" that lets each individual adjust what he/she hears in our own earphones.

However, if you look in my sig, you can see that the pedals that I have to work with. This is what I need help with. I own a DS-1 and fact of the matter is, it sounds pretty damn FUGLY in the system and in the earphones. It's like a nasty static fuzz that sounds very very unnatural. The other guitarist in the band sometimes plays electric guitar and uses a multi-fx pedal that sounds pretty decent when he puts his distortion, kind of almost what you hear when playing distortion through and amp. It sounds nice and clear, yet sounds like what a distortion should sound.

Now to the real question. With that knowledge, I figure I should spend some good money on a nice Multi-Fx pedal, or maybe a muuuuch better distortion. Question is, what's a good pedal to buy? For multi, I was thinking the Line 6 HD series as I've seen multiple good reviews on them. As for an individual distortion, I'm really not sure what to get.

tl;dr Playing directly into P.A. system (no amp needed), distortion sound sucks, sees my other guitarist with multi-fx pedal with a nice distortion, wonders if I should buy a multi-fx or another distortion pedal?

Budget: $400 Max
Need: Good distortion sound through a P.A. system.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Tech 21 Sansamp. This is what it was built for. They make individual pedals for Vox, Orange, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Hiwatt and a few other tones, and the Classic and GT2 are just awesome.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
A lot of people on these boards talk a lot of shit on multi-effects pedals but I love mine.

I use the Line 6 POD X3 live. I will admit the effects and tones are not exactly up to par with what the unit is trying to replicate, but it still does its job fine. You have all kinds of amps, cabs and effects at your disposal, with the all ins and outs you could possibly need.

The downside is that it sounds terrible plugged into a regular guitar amp, or at least thats what I think based on my experience. I plugged it into my Spider III amp and it doesnt sounds good because the sound you are getting out of your multi effects unit is getting distorted by the amp's sound. You need an unbiased way of hearing your music. I plug mine into my Bose speakers. A PA system at your church will sound great.
Hmm...that Tech21 Sansamp sounds pretty nice. I'm looking at the GT2 model and it seems pretty cool. But that's just a distortion and for that much I'm thinking investing $200 on just one type of pedal seems kinda not in my budget just yet
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Pod HD, the pod is perfect for leading worship if your running through the PA.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778