I am planning on soon soldering a tone zone s into my strat, I have a good Idea of how to do it, I have a cheap 40 watt soldering iron and some solder, I have seen some people say you can fry the pot real easy and others says it is impossibal to fry the pot with only 40 watts, who is correct?

Also can I use a pencil tip or is a chisel tip a must?
Last edited by Ericthegreat at Sep 13, 2011,
I have fried them before. Make sure not to have the heat on the pot casing for long, try and heat the solder and attach the wire straight away without heating the pot.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
I have fried them before. Make sure not to have the heat on the pot casing for long, try and heat the solder and attach the wire straight away without heating the pot.

This. I fried one with a 30 watt cheapo pencil tip. I refused to believe it was a friend pot until I spent almost 9 hours on the ****ing thing trying to figure out what was wrong. I put in a new pot and viola, fixed. Lesson learned though, I've gotten much better at soldering since. So keep that in mind. If everything looks perfect and your totally puzzled on what the problem is don't rule out a fried pot even though it's a somewhat rare occurrence.
Quote by Levi79
This. I fried one with a 30 watt cheapo pencil tip. I refused to believe it was a friend pot until I spent almost 9 hours on the ****ing thing trying to figure out what was wrong. I put in a new pot and viola, fixed. Lesson learned though, I've gotten much better at soldering since. So keep that in mind. If everything looks perfect and your totally puzzled on what the problem is don't rule out a fried pot even though it's a somewhat rare occurrence.

I did the exact same thing

Such a pain in the ass
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Thing I have been wondering about is that in the soldering videos on youtube, the people leave the iron in the solder for a bit until it stops bubbling, do I need to do that?
just untill it is liquified then pop the wire in/out depending what you want to do and leave it to harden.

i use a 25 watt iron and i've not ever seen the soldering stuff boil by bubbling. sounds wrong to my imagination if i understood it correct.

so on off wire leave to harden, yatzhee
I use a wood burning tool with a pencil tip. It's 25watts and heats to 950 degrees F.

I don't know about heating the lugs on the pot for too long, that would probably damage something, but I've heated the casing up quite a bit without any issues.