Hi,
I own a Digitech RP355 which I currently use with headphones. I do not own an amp right now (due to lack of space).

Is it be possible to hook up the RP unit to a studio monitor?
Will it sound OK?
Is there a risk of blowing out the monitor?
Can anyone recommend I good monitor for about 100-150$

Thanks
Not really, it won't be the best.

You're better off buying a small amp and plugging it through the line in so that it bypasses the speaker and uses the pedals amp modelling which will sound mountains better.

Where abouts are you located? Check out your local craigslist/eBay.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Not really, it won't be the best.

You're better off buying a small amp and plugging it through the line in so that it bypasses the speaker and uses the pedals amp modelling which will sound mountains better.

Where abouts are you located? Check out your local craigslist/eBay.

Thanks for the quick response dude.
OK so maybe I'll check out some small amps instead, but if I were to get a set of studio monitors to work with the RP unit, would I need powered or unpowered monitors?
Powered speakers.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If you're running amp and cab simulation then I'm fairly certain it will sound alright.
REGGIE
Powered studio monitor will work with the RP355. As with all things the better the quality and more expensive the better it will sound. You can blow out any speaker by turning it up enough. Just use your judgment and it will be fine.
The amps you recommended seem to be a lot larger than the Roland... My problem is space
Yeah theyre bigger than the roland, but you can put em on/under a desk or a table no problem. The VJ is only like 15"x15".

The roland is tiny, its a nice amp, but the speaker size leaves a lot to desire.

Its your call.

^Colour isnt necissarily a bad thing.
Tiny is good for me, I usually play with headphones (late at night when the kids are asleep). I just want an amp for those rare occasions when I have some time for myself in normal people hours :-)
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah theyre bigger than the roland, but you can put em on/under a desk or a table no problem. The VJ is only like 15"x15".

The roland is tiny, its a nice amp, but the speaker size leaves a lot to desire.

Its your call.

^Colour isnt necissarily a bad thing.

Poweramp coloration can make a modeller sound really good. I know a guy who runs his POD X3 into a Twin reissue. The 65W one. Sounds massive.

But into a preamp, it will sound very muffled. The model will have a high and low rolloff and the preamp will again have another high and low rolloff (or mid scoop depending on preamp) and it wont sound as it should. Though if he likes it, itll do.

Do those amps have FX loops? The VJ is pretty neutral IIRC. He could also use an Ibanez TSA15 as a poweramp....

EDIT: Into a preamp itll be kinda like yusing a V30 cab sim with a an actual V30 cab.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 13, 2011,
I run my POD through my powered monitors all the time, when the kids are awake, sounds ok. It'll never sound as cool as the stack, but it works.....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.