8 - I'd die to protect it and the people that live in it
20 9%
2 1%
10 - My country is perfect and I don't want it to ever change
5 2%
Voters: 233.
Page 3 of 4
Quote by Ahteh
"Nationalism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. "

Fixed, get it right.

I love angsty teenagers bragging about how much they hate where they live, and they usually never leave the place(s) they bitch about.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm proud that America is so vast and beautiful. I'm proud that there are so many good people here. And I'm definitely proud when UKers try too hard to hate on the US.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
I'm proud that America is so vast and beautiful. I'm proud that there are so many good people here. And I'm definitely proud when UKers try too hard to hate on the US.

I've seen more Americans shitting on the US than Europeans.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I think it's ludicrous to have pride in your country while ignoring all that is bad about your country, that kind of patriotism is insane.

To me, true patriotism is feeling the need to improve your country because it's your country.

This shit.
I don't necessarily like America, but I don't see it being much better anywhere else. Everywhere you live there will be problems locally and nationally, and of course the politicians will always be lying, cheating scoundrels no matter where you end up. I'm content with where I am.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
I can't say I'm proud to be an American. I'm not ashamed, but I'm not proud. I just can't think of any reason to be. Why is it a national thing? You always hear people say they love the USA, but nobody's proud to be a Utahn. Or proud to be a North American. Or proud to live above the equator. Or proud to live on planet Earth. I feel like that thinking just causes more division. I've heard patriotism compared to a devotion to one's family - in that it's not that you're giving the finger to all other people in the world, you simply have a different kind of love and devotion to that particular group of people. I guess that's understandable, but it still doesn't make sense to me. My family are people just like people outside of my family are people. Then again I don't have a patriotic devotion to my family so it's hard to relate. I give myself a 5.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It's pretty obvious people have different perceptions of what patriotism is. I like Sweden and I like living here, but to me that in itself has nothing to do with patriotism.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Fixed, get it right.

I love angsty teenagers bragging about how much they hate where they live, and they usually never leave the place(s) they bitch about.

You should talk to George Bernard Shaw if you want to "fix" it, he's the one who said it. Hence the quotation marks.

I don't hate where I live. Like I wrote above I like it here. That has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Also, I have been referred to as an angsty teenager twice in one thread. I think that's a record.
Last edited by Ahteh at Sep 13, 2011,
Well I live in the USA, and I enjoy the fact that NYC and Boston are here, and that a lot of good bands and jazz have come out of America, but I'm in no way "Amurika!!!".

I'm not a patriot in the sense that America can do nothing wrong, I'm a patriot in the sense that I care about my country and want what's best for everyone within it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
8 - Canada

I would've picked 7, but since I'm joining the Army I guess 8 would be more appropriate.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
8 - Canada

I would've picked 7, but since I'm joining the Army I guess 8 would be more appropriate.

I'm in the Army and I picked 3
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Prototype4342
I'm in the Army and I picked 3

You missed the part where I live in Canada though .
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
See it's funny with me. My parents are Iranian, but I was born in Denmark and when I was 11 I moved to England.

Having said that, I love nothing more than the land that Iran is on. The government I despise more than anything else, but the land I truly love.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I really like the country but I wouldn't say I'm patriotic. I realize I'm just simply born here, it's not like I had anything to do with all the modern, past and future achievements nor am I in charge in any political policy-making. I don't even understand patriotism, sure you might like your country but it's not like you created it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I really like the country but I wouldn't say I'm patriotic. I realize I'm just simply born here, it's not like I had anything to do with all the modern, past and future achievements nor am I in charge in any political policy-making. I don't even understand patriotism, sure you might like your country but it's not like you created it.

I think it's to do with preserving the culture and the history. If you don't have that passion and love about it, you won't necessarily take to the culture.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I think it's to do with preserving the culture and the history. If you don't have that passion and love about it, you won't necessarily take to the culture.

Most 'cultures' are not worth preserving anyway. Hawaiian culture can stay.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Most 'cultures' are not worth preserving anyway. Hawaiian culture can stay.

I don't know man. A country and its history is nothing without its culture. Sure if the culture states that every third full moon you have to go and slaughter a family and bathe in the blood or whatever then yeah, it ain't worth it.

But I like the fact that there are so many different cultures in the world. It makes humanity so much richer.
Hell patriotism to some extent (I'm speaking for myself here) preserves the language of your country too.

Like even though I live in England now, I still speak Danish and Farsi and Azeri because of my parents and the fact that I'm patriotic towards Denmark and Iran.
Carmel is hawt
Anything I strongly believe in would be something I'd fight to protect, so yes. I don't know what my country is though.
cat
Not at all. It's about the people in the country, not the country itself.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Not at all. It's about the people in the country, not the country itself.

I respectfully disagree.
Iran is run by an extremist fascist government who are probably the most idiotic and infuriating people in the world.
It's the people's fault that the country is now like this.
I can't stand the government or their followers, but as I've stated before, I love the land itself.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I respectfully disagree.
Iran is run by an extremist fascist government who are probably the most idiotic and infuriating people in the world.
It's the people's fault that the country is now like this.
I can't stand the government or their followers, but as I've stated before, I love the land itself.

Ah, if patriotism is based solely on the land then I still don't really like the land of the USA anyway.

If it's a combination of the people + the land, then I guess i'm 50% patriotic though. I think there's a fine line between patriotism and nationalism, so I guess i'd be patriotic in that i'll defend ths USA if it comes to defending it in debates and such.
Quote by goest
I consider myself a Kansan before an American.

Kansas is the absolute worst.
Quote by xgunterx
So is your paint (Jotun). After dealing with this chore yearly to keep our wood outside in good condition, I finally won't have to worry about it now for the next couple of years. More time for something else. Woot!

My wife always wants to go south for the holidays. I want to go north! But I heard Norway is pretty expensive though. Fact or false?

It is indeed extremely expensive, especially in Oslo. The wages in Norway are much higher than in other countries though, so it´s really not much of a difference. However, I would imagine that it would be rather expensive for an American to stay in Oslo, much like the US is very cheap for many Norwegians.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm so sorry.

Quote by bradulator
Kansas is the absolute worst.

Any particular reason the two of you dislike my State?

Too open for you, perhaps?
Seems like a remnant of primitive emotions.

Although I like my country, that's more because I find the general mentality and vibe of it's people to be pretty cool.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Kamikaze1014
Kansas IS the absolute worst us Americans have to offer. Sorry rest of the world.

Nah, your thinking of Iowa. I mean, wtf happens in Iowa? Nothing.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by darkstar2466

Most fappable pic of Barack to date.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
4-ish. Chile = crap education, crap justice system, crap security. But I don't dislike it to the point of writing demeaning stuff often. :P
Professional lurker since 2009.
The entire concept that a bunch of dumbasses control everything that I do is just retarded. I'd still rather live here than anywhere else.
Quote by Kamikaze1014
Kansas IS the absolute worst us Americans have to offer. Sorry rest of the world.

You obviously haven't been to South Dakota or Montana.

Quote by WCPhils
Nah, your thinking of Iowa. I mean, wtf happens in Iowa? Nothing.

Corn happens in Iowa
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I like my country, it's gorgeous but i hate the politics in it, but i hate politics in general so regardless of where i live i'll feel that way. I live in Canada btw.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by FearMyLightning
I think you're thinking of Nebraska there pal.

I've been to Iowa too, there's tons of cornfields.

They also have an official website about corn
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by goest
What did the Sunflower State ever do to you guys?

This

And I put 2, I love this country and most of it's people, but I am not someone who thinks in terms of national boundaries. I in general like the Earth and most the people who live on it

Patriotism isn't nationalism, but the two aren't really far from each other. Patriotism just never did anything for me, I think it is kind of silly. Nothing wrong with loving where you come from, but why does that end where some imaginary line in the sand was draw long ago?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Sep 13, 2011,