So I really don't like my single rectifier :/

The Mesa roadster and Engl Powerball II are my favorite heads, but the single rectifier just can't give me that sound.

I'm Looking at a 6505+, a JVM 410h, and Two Orange heads, the Rocker100, and the Thunder50.

But I'm thinking that maybe my Cab is the issue. I have the 4 x 12 Rectifier cab. I'm thinking about switching to an Orange 4 x 12.

I throw an overdrive in the front of my amp.

So do you think I try a new head or cab or both? Any other ideas would be cool I'm fairly open.

I play metalcore to Djent to southern metal.

I can't really put money into anything, I have to do local trades or sell my gear. My money is going to a car and I'm trying to get a BKP Aftermath(b)/Stalkhom(n) set before my band hits the studio.

Thanks
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
I've never been a fan of the single rec. The rectifier cabs are awesome tho. Keep the cab, get rid of the head. Go for the Rocker, awesome amps.
trade around, my guitarists dad does all of our trading for us through craigslist and we've gone through a bunch of heads and cabs. honestly i think you can get a 6505 straight across, depends who the person is but alot of people will just buckle once they see Mesa on something haha.
None of the heads you mention will make you sound like a roadster or powerball ii. Better get saving and just get a roadster or powerball
Quote by coolstoryangus
None of the heads you mention will make you sound like a roadster or powerball ii. Better get saving and just get a roadster or powerball

Can't right now :/. I'm just trying to get a new head I like before Studio and Touring in November
GEAR
I take back my previous post, if you primarily play metalcore the 6505 is the way to go.
Quote by Jaredmkl
Can't right now :/. I'm just trying to get a new head I like before Studio and Touring in November

If you wanna go cheap but great maybe check out a peavey ultra plus or something? They sound great and are usually cheap.
Quote by coolstoryangus
If you wanna go cheap but great maybe check out a peavey ultra plus or something? They sound great and are usually cheap.

Cool I'll check it out
GEAR
Do you need cleans/crunch?

If not, I highly recommend trading for a regular 6505 or 5150 + cash. With different EQing, that amp can do all the things you listed very well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do you need cleans/crunch?

If not, I highly recommend trading for a regular 6505 or 5150 + cash. With different EQing, that amp can do all the things you listed very well.

Yeah I need both. That's why I'm looking at a Plus or II model of those amps.
GEAR
Hm... You should probably trade for a Peavey JSX then.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Hm... You should probably trade for a Peavey JSX then.

I've tried the JSX. Never really liked it. But I'll give it another try
GEAR
im bumping for a few more opinions hope no one minds
GEAR
Quote by Jaredmkl
I've tried the JSX. Never really liked it. But I'll give it another try

+1 i have never managed to get the JSX to sound good. its not that i am an idiot at EQ'ing, its just that IMO they dont sound good. the cleans were the highlight of the amp... lawlz
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Rockerverb is a fantastic amp. The MKII really improved on the clean tone, great distortion too IMO.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well for what it's worth, it does have an active EQ, so it's a bit different than a normal 3 band.

I love it. All the channels sound great to me (considering how much it costs). But to each their own.

Alternatives to the JSX are the Carvin V3 or the Marshall TSL, you could see if you like those.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would suggest a 3120 to you as it does that stuff very well and cleans are much better than the 6505+. I owned one before getting my V3 and though I love my Carvin, most people would hate some of the tweaking involved and the 3120 would be more consistent for touring when stuff gets bumped setting up.

Also, do you feel the cab lacks something or are you just interested in trying some different?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Carvin V3.

They sound awesome and easily gets heavy, tho they sound a bit vintagey for my ears.

Altho that was probably just the tubes that were in it, as the one I tried was used and had aftermarket tubes.
Quote by bluestratplayer
I would suggest a 3120 to you as it does that stuff very well and cleans are much better than the 6505+. I owned one before getting my V3 and though I love my Carvin, most people would hate some of the tweaking involved and the 3120 would be more consistent for touring when stuff gets bumped setting up.

Also, do you feel the cab lacks something or are you just interested in trying some different?

I thinking that the cab might because some scooping and an uncontrollable low end.

The head is either to brittle or to boomy and thick sounding, there is just no happy medium no matter what i try.

EDIT: I also think that the 50watt version of the Rectifier is just not as good sounding :/
GEAR
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Sep 14, 2011,
They can sound vintage or modern. They have lots of sounds but all that versatility comes with tweaking and more tweaking and thats a turn off for alot of people. I personally love finding all the tones but understand its not for everyone.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent