Just wondering whether it would be at all worth upgrading my Squier Strats pickups or pots or anything like that. Cheers
Whether its worth it is up to you, whether it would be practical is debatable. What amp do you play through?
You won't see a ton of improvement with your current amp. A new amp would give you the most overall improvement. What style of music do you play? Anyways, when it comes to upgrading the squire you could just save money on top of what you would have spent on pickups and buy a new guitar. IMO
I play some metal and blues mostly. I was probably not going to bother anyway, half the idea being also to get a better grasp on wiring guitars and stuff, but i thought id better make sure . Also, do you reckon it'd be worth upgrading the stock pups in my epiphone les paul to an EMG 81, or still be better to get a new amp?
A new amp would be your best bet. If you want to change the pups in your strat for experience consider some of the GFS pups from guitarfetish. They are really cheap and sound decent. With your current amp pickup changes won't really make much of a difference.
I agree 110% with the amp advice.

The three most important factors for tone - in order,

Playing style and ability- ie, playing with pricise timing, note shaping ablities, use of muting etc.

Amp, Amp, Amp - you can sound great on a cheap guitar with lousy pups on a good amp, but the nicest tones from the best guitars will sound mediocre on a poor sounding amp.

Pick ups - arguably more important than the guitar itself or the material they are made of from a tonal point of view.
I used to have a Peavey Bandit 112 and thought it sounded great honestly. Distortion was lacking for the music i played then but it has a great clean tone to build off of with pedals. I think it would do a little more than some people think. honestly, if you like the feel of your strat go ahead and throw in some new pickups
Quote by shecter guy
I used to have a Peavey Bandit 112 and thought it sounded great honestly. Distortion was lacking for the music i played then but it has a great clean tone to build off of with pedals. I think it would do a little more than some people think. honestly, if you like the feel of your strat go ahead and throw in some new pickups

The Bandit is better than what most people have, so I think you are ok with that amp for now, and should go ahead and upgrade your guitar.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The Bandit is better than what most people have, so I think you are ok with that amp for now, and should go ahead and upgrade your guitar.

I think this is bad advice.

I probably wouldn't spend any money upgrading a squier. I'd rather save the money for a bit longer and buy a better guitar. Is there a particular reason you're thinking of modifying it? Don't like the sound? Electronics dying?
Quote by The Milk-Man
Just wondering whether it would be at all worth upgrading my Squier Strats pickups or pots or anything like that. Cheers

In my opinion, if you are unhappy with your Stratocaster, rather than modifying it, I'd sell it on eBay or something, then use the money to buy another guitar, because this procedure will be less risky, and many times, much more cost-effective.
I think a lot of these people in here are crazy...

I AGREE with the amp upgrade first and foremost. But there is an absurd amount of squire hate on here. Standard squires are not the end all-be-all of guitars. But they are far better guitars then what they are priced at and better then most guitars that cost twice as much. For those of us not looking to spend 700-1000 on a guitar a squire standard is a great choice (CV is even better!). You can upgrade every single piece of hardware on a standard squire and still spend right around the same amount of a sub par MIM strat that is 100% stock.

If you like your squire and it has sentimental value... it would be a great guitar to learn to do your own mods on.

If the guitar doesn't mean much to you just sell it. Remember its not like squires hold their value... what someone is willing to pay you for it wont be worth it.
Last edited by jsspang at Sep 14, 2011,
If squiers are so great how come you can't even spell their name?

I have a stagg cheapass strat copy and putting a seymour duncan in made a great improvement to the tone of the guitar, even thou my cheap chord amp, if you want ot do it, do it, it's a lot cheaper than an amp uprgrade
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I think this is bad advice.

I probably wouldn't spend any money upgrading a squier. I'd rather save the money for a bit longer and buy a better guitar. Is there a particular reason you're thinking of modifying it? Don't like the sound? Electronics dying?

Um, Squier pickups are the worst pickups out there...You'd be doing yourself a favor in upgrading them. And if you want to save up for a $1000 plus guitar, then go for it, but with a few mods you can make a Squier sound and play just as good as a $1000, because I've done it to mine.
Quote by teh_goon
If squiers are so great how come you can't even spell their name?

I have a stagg cheapass strat copy and putting a seymour duncan in made a great improvement to the tone of the guitar, even thou my cheap chord amp, if you want ot do it, do it, it's a lot cheaper than an amp uprgrade

Since when did spelling matter what the tone of a guitar has?
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
I would upgrade a Squier 50s or 60s Vibe. They are awesome guitars for $350 new.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Unless your totally in love with a particular guitar, the Standard Squiers arent really worth the money to upgrade them, especially when after you add up all the costs, your looking at a 2nd hand higher end MIM Fender, which are usually far higher quality.

Unless you want to be that guy who always has to explain why you modded a Squier. The whole, "I put new pups in and it sounds like a £1k guitar" is just daft.

Ethan missed out the fact he was looking to replace his modded Squier, because its falling apart, because its a cheap guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by fretmaster13
I would upgrade a Squier 50s or 60s Vibe. They are awesome guitars for $350 new.

I actually just picked up a Squier 60's Classic Vibe yesterday. I restrung it last night and really played it for the first time today. I like it alot; I like it better than the MIM strats I played. I don't plan of swapping out the P/U's any time soon. Maybe one day I would put the loaded Gilmour pickguard in there, but I think they are perfectly fine on their own. It sounds really good through my Fender amp.

I actually bought it based on the rave reviews it had; never played it before I ordered it. Heck, for $350, it wasn't that big of a risk for me. The quality of the guitar is great. The only thing that is a bit cheap is the bridge. I think I might swap that out in the nearer future.

I'll probably put up a full review in a few days after playing it. But don't discount this Squier... It's a true Fender, maybe less the bridge, but with better P/U's than the MIM; IMO. I can't really compare it to my Gibsons, but as a new guitar that has a signature Strat sound, this is a steal. Let me know if you have any questions in the mean time.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Honestly the CV series is worth taking a look at. unless you love how your strat plays which i understand if you happened to get one of the nice ones. In that case if it feels good to you i still say a pickups upgrade would be worth it. you could make some other cheap mods like a new nut and tuners to make it a little nicer too if you really want to make it nicer.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Um, Squier pickups are the worst pickups out there...You'd be doing yourself a favor in upgrading them. And if you want to save up for a $1000 plus guitar, then go for it, but with a few mods you can make a Squier sound and play just as good as a $1000, because I've done it to mine.

I think it's bad advice because, in my experience, it's not just the electronics that are crappy on Squiers.

If you've really got your mind set on modifying rather than buying a new guitar, at the very least you should swap out all the saddles on your bridge for something better. They're made of soft alloy and the tension of the strings is enough to wear them down. They eat through strings like crazy.

EDIT: I suppose if you make the upgrades and buy a new guitar further down the track and you plan on retiring your squier you might have some nice pickups to hold onto.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Sep 14, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Unless your totally in love with a particular guitar, the Standard Squiers arent really worth the money to upgrade them, especially when after you add up all the costs, your looking at a 2nd hand higher end MIM Fender, which are usually far higher quality.

Unless you want to be that guy who always has to explain why you modded a Squier. The whole, "I put new pups in and it sounds like a £1k guitar" is just daft.

Ethan missed out the fact he was looking to replace his modded Squier, because its falling apart, because its a cheap guitar.

This is true, but it still plays like a beast. I'm just fed up with the bridge, stupid screws stripped out the wood.

And yes, Bareknuckle pickups do make a crap guitar sound as good as a $1000 one, if not better.
actually i had already replaced the stock pups with a GFS set, and they don't sound too bad i guess, but i was looking at some Bareknuckle ones and thought they would sound pretty great in it. So should i replace the electronics and put in some new pickups? Or just get a new amp and look at the guitar after that?