This may just sound like whining, but I bought a small pack of Ultex Sharps 1.40mm recently. And they weren't how I imagined them. After hearing many positive opinions, I decided to try them out... They weren't my cup of tea.

Compared to the Tortex 1.14, I found the Ultex had less attack, made an annoying clicky sound and on top of that... it became thinner at the point. It seems the '1.40mm' is just the part you're holding onto rather than what was (at least for me) the important part!

What are your opinions? And what do think are the best all-round picks for lead AND rhythm electric guitar that might satisfy me? I prefer something of standard size (not Jazz) and thick (1.14mm and up). I have been thinking of Tortex 1.5, but want to broaden my horizons a bit too... Thanks
XD I said not Jazz! But thanks for the reply nonetheless. The main reason I say no is that I'm concerned it will be too small for strumming and the like... But I suppose you have ways to work around the size?
I like the new Dunlop TIII's. A Tortex pick, with a Jazz III point on it.
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Just get the regular Ultex picks.

I used to hop around picks all the time but I've been on the standard 1mm Ultex ever since I first tried one, probably 2 years now and they're sick.
Meh, i use dunlop tortex .73 and have done for ages. just for the record!!! lol. I remember someone on these forums years ago was asking which picks to use to make them a better guitarist!!! WTF. Its just a pick jebus.....
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
I enjoy the Big Stubbies, though I've recently switched to the Jazz Stubby
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by ibanez_guru
Meh, i use dunlop tortex .73 and have done for ages. just for the record!!! lol. I remember someone on these forums years ago was asking which picks to use to make them a better guitarist!!! WTF. Its just a pick jebus.....

ultimately, this lol
I use the Ultex Jazz III's and they're amazing. I use them for my lead playing. I much prefer the feel than than the regular Jazz III's. For my rhythm playing, I use the Jazz III XL's. They're brilliant.
Quote by Edox442
XD I said not Jazz! But thanks for the reply nonetheless. The main reason I say no is that I'm concerned it will be too small for strumming and the like... But I suppose you have ways to work around the size?

There is no need to find ways to work around the size. Just the use the pick, play all the songs you know for a couple of days or maybe a week or two and you'll get used to it. After that all the other picks would feel awkward, and you'll be able to use jazz III for everything you need including even funky strumming.
Haha, thanks for all the information everyone. I think I might just give the Jazz III and Jazz III XL's a go...
Quote by Edox442
Haha, thanks for all the information everyone. I think I might just give the Jazz III and Jazz III XL's a go...

Man, go and buy like 20 different picks, different shapes, sizes and thickness and see which one feels the best for you.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
I recomend Jazz III XL's as they're thick and the size of a normal pick. I also use a Cactus Pick sometimes and Dunlop Tortex .77
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"

Best of both worlds
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
sharps get smaller at the point

Well gee, what did you expect?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have a drawer full of picks from when I was looking for "the One". I don't use any of them now. Fingernails.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
It took me quite a while to get used to Ultex Sharps but now I quite like them. Pinch harmonics in particular took quite a while to adapt to doing with them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
gators are the dunlop that people forget. me and my other guitarists are hooked on the 1.5s, and our bassist uses 2.0. awesome picks, they just feel right. the beveled edge is perfect for sticato runs, but its big enough to do legato playing really well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.