More than five billion people use mobile phones worldwide and advances in wireless technology make it increasingly difficult to escape the influence of mobile devices. But while most Americans seem to embrace continuous connectivity, some believe it's making them physically ill.

Diane Schou is unable to hold back the tears as she describes how she once lived in a shielded cage to protect her from the electromagnetic radiation caused by waves from wireless communication.

"It's a horrible thing to have to be a prisoner," she says. "You become a technological leper because you can't be around people.

"It's not that you would be contagious to them - it's what they're carrying that is harmful to you."

Ms Schou is one of an estimated 5% of Americans who believe they suffer from Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS), which they say is caused by exposure to electromagnetic fields typically created by cell phones, wi-fi and other electronic equipment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14887428

That must suck. Imagine being cut off from civilization like that. You'd have to live like the amish pretty much, only in the mountains. Imagine if being more sensitive to electromagnetic radiation (or whatever it is) becomes more common. What would people do? What would YOU do?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think the current smartphonegeneration/hype sucks. You can't have a normal conversation with people anymore without them checking their facebook 3 times. Also people can't just sit back and relax anymore, nooooo everything these days must have to do with that little device.

I think I am allergic too. Mountains here I cum!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'd politely ask others to stop using mobile devices when they're around me.

And then I'd pull out my gun

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's not like this radiation is actually harmful though, isn't this just paranoia?

I do agree that the mobile generation is the death of most conversation, but there's no reason to get physically ill...
From what i read, there doesn't appear to be much proof the condition exists. It could be hypochondria at work.
Ms Schou is one of an estimated 5% of Americans who believe they suffer from Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS)

I thought hypochondria was more rare than that. Oh well

Then again, this is pretty much the opportunity of the century. Disturbed people choosing self exile instead of burdening society with their babble? Please sir can I have some more of that
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by b2spirita
From what i read, there doesn't appear to be much proof the condition exists. It could be hypochondria at work.

mhmm
Quote by Neo Evil11
You can't have a normal conversation with people anymore without them checking their facebook 3 times.

To be honest that's bullshit, when I'm with people i dont check my phone or anything and people don't check their Facebook or on phones all the time,.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Are they seriously ill? Because that's a terrible thing. But to be honest, I think they're all just tinfoil-hat-wearing lunatics. I can't judge them though, I haven't met them.

EDIT:
In my student society pub, your smartphone gets taken off you when they catch you using social media on it, or when you text too much without a proper reason. You can pick it up again when you go home. I think it's a good rule. It's pretty fun to have conversations with people.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Last edited by The_Casinator at Sep 13, 2011,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
To be honest that's bullshit, when I'm with people i dont check my phone or anything and people don't check their Facebook or on phones all the time,.

It depends on the person. But I seriously have friends who everytime they get a message from Facebook or googletalk, pick up their phones and start responding. Imagine you are standing at a festival and you see your friend next to you on facebook.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Just phase them out of the conversation when they flop out their phone, then shun them when they try and get back in.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
Just phase them out of the conversation when they flop out their phone, then shun them when they try and get back in.

When you are on a festival with 1 other friend, that does not seem like a good idea. He wasn't always like that by the way. It worsened when he got a smarthphone and facebook and worsened more when he got a girlfriend.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by b2spirita

I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to prove one way or the other. Stick them in a large faraday cage and have some form of transmitter inside. Randomly switch the transmitter on and off in order to see if they can tell the difference.

Either way, it's a terrible situation, because even if it's completely psychological it feels real to them. Psychogenic pain is in some ways worse because at least if the cause is physical there are clearer steps that can be taken to alleviate it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Living in mountains sounds nice though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
That sucks that these people can't enjoy the benefits of wifi.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Thing with this is that while it might be psychological, it still has symptoms. So sucks either way.
Quote by theguitarist
Living in mountains sounds nice though.

If you can look past the dumb rednecks, extreme poverty, and polluted water, then yeah, West Virginia could be a nice place to live. But here in the southern part, that's all there really is.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

Why the sad face?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to prove one way or the other. Stick them in a large faraday cage and have some form of transmitter inside. Randomly switch the transmitter on and off in order to see if they can tell the difference.

Either way, it's a terrible situation, because even if it's completely psychological it feels real to them. Psychogenic pain is in some ways worse because at least if the cause is physical there are clearer steps that can be taken to alleviate it.

Im not willing to do much more than wiki it, but this is what i found:

Seven studies were found which did report an association, while 24 could not find any association with electromagnetic fields. However, of the seven positive studies, two could not be replicated even by the original authors, three had serious methodological shortcomings, and the final two presented contradictory results. Since then, several more double-blind experiments have been published, each of which has suggested that people who report electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to detect the presence of electromagnetic fields and are as likely to report ill health following a sham exposure, as they are following exposure to genuine electromagnetic fields

But yeah, if it is psychological, then ist still gonna suck for them
There's fools in them thar hills.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I wouldn't outright dismiss EHS, it has it's creditbility, albeit a small amount currently. They can live in their mountains, I'm sure it's a nice life.
The people that really piss me off are the ones that claim the masts and towers and wi fi clouds are bad for all of us and should be banned outright, claiming we just don't notice how ill we've become. 'king idiots.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I wouldn't outright dismiss EHS, it has it's creditbility, albeit a small amount currently. They can live in their mountains, I'm sure it's a nice life.
The people that really piss me off are the ones that claim the masts and towers and wi fi clouds are bad for all of us and should be banned outright, claiming we just don't notice how ill we've become. 'king idiots.

i know rite its totally damb
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I grew up without all that crap even being around so, go back to living the way I did as a kid I guess. Still must suck to not be able to go out at all because the majority of the world nowadays can't live without cells, internet, etc.
Because, Boobs