Ive recently been trying to learn some some song by Santana and Im having troubles sustaining bends. I bend using 2 fingers and try to use my other to mute the other strings. As I bend I dont let it touch the other strings. But when Im trying to bend up a whole step I dont hear it anymore it just like stops. What am I doing wrong? What should should I do? Do I need better pickups, right now I am using the ones that came with my first act vw guitar. Could that be a problem?
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
To me that sounds like the guitar is fretting out, which means the guitar needs a set up. Google fretting out if you dont know what it is.

You can also try improving your grip. When I bend my fingers do touch the other strings, and push them up to, and my thumb comes right over the neck so that it is almost touching my fingers.
you are usually quite likely to experience beginner guitars especially first act. it could be the pickups. make sure that your technique is correct and try some vibrato. it usually helps the sustain. so does overdrive.
Quote by phayzze
What you really need is a new guitar.

This. definately. how can you have a peavey valveking and use such a low quality guitar with it. it doesnt show off anything that the valveking can do.
Quote by Ultrakd
Ive recently been trying to learn some some song by Santana and Im having troubles sustaining bends. I bend using 2 fingers and try to use my other to mute the other strings. As I bend I dont let it touch the other strings. But when Im trying to bend up a whole step I dont hear it anymore it just like stops. What am I doing wrong? What should should I do? Do I need better pickups, right now I am using the ones that came with my first act vw guitar. Could that be a problem?

I couldn't find the guitar you listed, maybe I am just typing it wrong. It could be a few things.

First, what amp are you using? Sometimes (at least in my case) there is a built in noise gate; when I have the value of the noise gate set too high the sustain cuts outs quickly. Its likely if you have never messed with the noise gate this won't be the problem.

More likely, do you hear any rattling when you bend the string; specifically fret buzz? That could cause some problems. Also, you may not be pushing hard enough, you could try using three fingers. You may be letting go of the string slightly when you bend it a whole step and you may not realize it. That may not be the case, but its always worth examining how you play.

So when you bend a half step there are no problems?
I dont have any problems bending half step. And My guitar is a First Act Volkswagen Garage Master. Its the ones Volkswagen gave out with the cars a couple years ago.
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,